Votes: 7 7.0%
  • $150+

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I budget $35 a month for both food and litter for 1 cat. Right now I am using Paws and Claws litter which is only $6 a month so that helps me allot more money to food. I was feeding a rotation of Merrick Rabbit, FF classics, 4health and ProPlan true nature wet foods along with 4health dry food. That put me at about $27 a month.
Now I am trying to get rid of the dry and plan to try some cheaper wet foods like Friskies and the Paws & Claws with my cat soon to see if she likes them. If she does, that should allow me to feed an all wet diet and still stay in my budget.

elle.paco.cloey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I selected $150+ as my cat food budget. I live in Canada and have three kittens (two are 6 months old; the third is 5 months old). I feed a variety of grain-free canned foods, Honest Kitchen dehydrated food, and Orijen dry food. I recently got an excellent deal on cases of Weruva Tru Luxe, so I am going to be feeding that exclusively (with Orijen dry to supplement when I will not be home) for the next few months, which will reduce my overall monthly budget to around $130. My kits will easily hoover down eight 3oz cans per day... I think Paco is half panther :dunno:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't budget the animal food. They get whatever they need.
However, right now on just the cat food, it's about $50 a month. I feed both wet and dry. Purina One kitten and Fancy Feast gravy lovers. Around 4 cans a day.
Once the kittens get older, (they just turned 5 months) they will need to be cut down, so I will spend less. But since Samai just went through another growth spurt (she's now at 7 lbs and a little lean), I need to up the food yet again.

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven't really thought about it but now I'm curious so I'm going to do the math in this post.

I have two cats, Pikachu at 14 lb and and Tangerine at 10.5 lb; plan to get them down to 12 lb and 10 lb respectively.

Before, I was free feeding them Purina dry food and a can (total) of FF twice a day. At that time, my estimate is that I was spending about $40/month.

Just switched them last week to Rad Cat's Raw Chicken, Turkey and Lamb formulas. I feed Pikachu 220 cal/day and Tangerine 200 cal/day. They've been coming within +/- 10 cal/day of my feeding goal. The 24 oz tubs cost about $13.99-$16.99 not on sale (so $15.49 average) depending on where I buy them and they finish just under 1-1/4 tub in 2 days...including the occasional half ounce here and there that I have to toss.

Take 30 days divided by 2 days x 1.25 tubs per day = 18.75 x $15.49 per tub = $290 x 1.08 (tax) = $315 /month.

$158/month per cat. Okay, I'm going to cry haha :running:

I have my 40 lb and 60 lb dogs eating Orijen Original and spend about $110/month on that ($55/dog).

So all in all, $425/month on my brood. Don't tell my husband. :devilish:

Hey, it's cheaper than kids :flail:

I'll probably switch to homemade at some point to save $$$ but I need to do more research into that before I feel comfortable.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't really thought about it but now I'm curious so I'm going to do the math in this post.

I have two cats, Pikachu at 14 lb and and Tangerine at 10.5 lb; plan to get them down to 12 lb and 10 lb respectively.

Before, I was free feeding them Purina dry food and a can (total) of FF twice a day. At that time, my estimate is that I was spending about $40/month.

Just switched them last week to Rad Cat's Raw Chicken, Turkey and Lamb formulas. I feed Pikachu 220 cal/day and Tangerine 200 cal/day. They've been coming within +/- 10 cal/day of my feeding goal. The 24 oz tubs cost about $13.99-$16.99 not on sale (so $15.49 average) depending on where I buy them and they finish just under 1-1/4 tub in 2 days...including the occasional half ounce here and there that I have to toss.

Take 30 days divided by 2 days x 1.25 tubs per day = 18.75 x $15.49 per tub = $290 x 1.08 (tax) = $315 /month.

$158/month per cat. Okay, I'm going to cry haha :running:

I have my 40 lb and 60 lb dogs eating Orijen Original and spend about $110/month on that ($55/dog).

So all in all, $425/month on my brood. Don't tell my husband. :devilish:

Hey, it's cheaper than kids :flail:

I'll probably switch to homemade at some point to save $$$ but I need to do more research into that before I feel comfortable.
Hopefully that'll lead to healthier cats and less vet bills. :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 month kitten that is 9 pounds..... he eats A LOT. And I’m trying to keep him as healthy as possible (no kibble, all canned and freeze dried). So I spend anywhere between 150-200$ a month. :cringe::cringe:

I’m just looking forward to when he’s an adult and doesn’t eat as much.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I explained my budget, but I think it's up to $150. I'm fairly certain I got the boys' food done around $85 this month. Then the girls get a 6.6 lb bag of kibble that lasts about 2 months, and they eat a 5.5 oz can of pate per day.
The boys get homemade because I can't afford to feed them cans, and their diet is rabbit and turkey. The girls' dry food is Dr Elsey's cleanprotein chicken and Nature's Variety Instinct canned chicken.
The ladies are 9 1/2 lbs, 10 1/4 lbs. The boys are 13 lbs, but one is now on a diet to get back down to 12.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My budget just for cat food is $40/month for my one cat. He's still growing and eats a lot, so that $40 gets him a 50/50 wet/dry diet for now. Once his growth slows down and he starts eating less, I'll probably be able to switch him over to an all raw diet, if I can figure out an affordable menu plan that works with his food sensitivities. All canned will probably never be an option for him on my budget, since he can't tolerate any of the really cheap canned foods.

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have two cats and now two foster kitties. i switched my cats from purina to science diet and not only do they love it, it apparently takes less to fill them up because i'm not going through nearly as much cat food. i used to have to buy a new bag every week... and now a bag of science diet of the same size goes once every two weeks. so that's $30-$35ish twice monthly. i like giving them wet science diet too every once in a while, and the cans are $1 each, so roughly 4 cans per week per cat, $16 weekly. and then i get them greenies treats because they love 'em, and catnip. so.. not counting treats... wow, about $140. i voted around $60 because that's how much i thought my budget for them was!!

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats budget is $50 a month. He eats a rotating diet of Wellness Beef and Salmon, Lotus Pork Pate, and Canidae Pure sea wet food. If his normal options are on sale I can sometimes fit Tiki Cat, Nature's Variety, and Wellness Signature Selects in there as well.
Right now hes getting Instinct dry food in his treat ball for snacks, because I got a free bag from Petsmart lol

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend and I were talking about pet food budgets, and I realized I had no idea what I was spending on cat food per month.

So I wrote down what I was feeding the cats everyday, and how much. Then divided the cans and bags into meal servings, and figured out how much I was spending per meal, then I totaled all the meals to get cost per day. Then multiplied it by 30 days.

I ended up with $96 per month for 2 cats. That's for each to have Wellness canned in the morning and Primal Freeze Dried Raw at night, plus a small Merrick LID Turkey kibble snack right before bed. This is obviously based on servings so the exact amount might change between one month and the next, depending on when I order food and how long each case/bag lasts.

Basically I'm just super curious if that's about the same as everyone else. There was an old thread about this, but it was from 2008 and I know cat food has increased majorly since then. So I figured I'd take a survey. :)

How much do you spend on cat food per month?

How many cats do you have?

Cost per cat?

Also include what brands you/types of food you feed.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 month kitten that is 9 pounds..... he eats A LOT. And I’m trying to keep him as healthy as possible (no kibble, all canned and freeze dried). So I spend anywhere between 150-200$ a month. :cringe::cringe:

I’m just looking forward to when he’s an adult and doesn’t eat as much.
Good luck, mine are 10 and 8 and always hungry begging for food!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I spend $150 canned only for 2 inside cats and one outside feral. Friskies wet and Merrick dry for feral. Canned Soulistic, whole earth farms or Merrick for indoor cats. Purebites freeze dried chicken for toppers and snacks.

krys09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For Zoey (3 years, 10 pounds) I'm spending about $60/month on wet food (rotating Wellness pate flavours), and then probably $10/month on dry (Orijen Cat & Kitten). I buy the 12.5 oz cans of Wellness which helps cut down cost. She gets a few tablespoons of kibble per day, and the rest wet.