What's your best cold/flu remedy?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Thank you for starting my day with a laugh! Great piece of writing!

And I wanted to add... those tissues with lotion in them? They really do make a huge difference when you have a cold or flu. They'll help keep your nose from getting all sore and chapped... and you can also massage in some vitamin E oil or just plain moisturizer or hand lotion a couple of times a day.
Thanks, Carol! I'm glad I could cheer you up a bit.

I can't use any tissues with the lotion or aloe--they actually make my nose worse. I have very sensitive skin, and I can only use Puffs regular tissues--and, even then, people start singing a certain Christmas carol to me...I sused to put on a facial masque, I think St. Ives, that was GREEN, and had clay and peppermint. It would sting a bit on my nose, but, boy, it took a lot of that red out, and really soothed it. Frankly, though, anything after looking like The Incredible Hulk or Frankenstein, is bound to make one look better!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always take air borne as soon as I feel like I might be getting sick. It really does help alot. Oh and I've also found that if you mix airborne with hawaiian punch it's much easier to drink, it actually tastes quite good.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best remedy is to avoid getting a cold

I'm a fanatical about washing my hands. No! I do not have OCD! I simply make a concious effort to keep my hands away from my face when I'm out and about. And when I'm out I wash my hands or use a hand sanitizer before I eat and after I handle money.

I try to avoid public bathrooms like the plague, but if for some reason I can't, I lock the stall door using my elbows or a paper towel. I flush with my foot, and if they only have hand dryers, I leave the faucets run because I will not touch the facet again after I have washed my hands unless I use a paper towel. And when I exit the bathroom I either use a paper towel when I open the door, or my coat sleeve.

If I have to use a public phone, I hold it away face and use a hand sanitizer after I hang up.

And the first thing I do when I get home is wash my hands after taking off my coat.

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I just tried those new tissues with the scent of Vicks... awesome!
Best.invention.ever. I love these.

I also take Tylenol Severe Cold (daytime) liquid medicine and drink orange or apple juice. Sometimes make hot tea and put a cough drop in it and let it dissolve a bit.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Go to the doctor if you're sick. That's my best recommendation. I spent several weeks trying to "kick" my cold
A cold runs its course in a week. If you still have a "cold" after that, it's not a cold that you have.

There are differences between colds and flu.

A cold is centered in the nose. There are over 200 different types of viruses that can cause a cold. Rhinoviruses, which means "nose viruses", are the most common cause. Respiratory syncitial viruses (RSV) and several others can produce colds.

The three most frequent symptoms of a cold are:
1. stuffed up nose
2. runny nose
3. throat irritation (not a red throat)

Adults and older children with colds generally have minimal or no fever. Infants and toddlers often run a fever in the 100 to 102 degree range.

Depending on which virus is the culprit, the virus might also produce a headache, cough, postnasal drip, burning eyes, muscle aches, or a decreased appetite, but in a cold, the most prominent symptoms are in the nose.

Symptoms start within 1 to 5 days. Usually irritation in the nose or a scratchy feeling in the throat is the first sign, followed within hours by sneezing and a watery nasal discharge.

Within one to three days, the nasal secretions usually become thicker and perhaps yellow or green -- this is a normal part of the common cold and not a reason for antibiotics. During this period, children's eardrums are usually congested, and there may be fluid behind the ears. Antibiotics are not needed at this point.

The entire cold is usually over all by itself in about 7 days, with perhaps a few lingering symptoms (cough) for another week. If it lasts longer, it could be a sinus infection or allergies.

While it lasts, the common cold is primarily a head cold. While you may feel tired or have aches, the illness is centered in the nose, and most of the symptoms are above the neck.

With the flu, you are sick all over with a temperature, aches, lack of energy and within a few days start to develope respiratory symptoms such as chest congestion, and dry hacking cough. The virus can settle anywhere in the respiratory tract, producing symptoms of a cold, croup, sore throat, bronchiolitis, ear infection, and/or pneumonia.

You can find out more about "Cold vs. Flu" at this link. It does a great job at explaining the different symptoms that determine whether you have a cold or a flu.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_577.html

Another main difference between cold and flu is that the flu is preventable through annual flu shots.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People laugh when I tell them this, but it works for me. As soon as I feel the beginnings of a cold/sore throat I mix honey and vinegar, equal proportions.
I usually mix 1/4 cup of each and put in a plastic butter cup. Take a tablespoon of it all day every time you think about it. Works for me almost every time, always on a sore throat and most of the time with a cold.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

A cold runs its course in a week. If you still have a "cold" after that, it's not a cold that you have.

There are differences between colds and flu.

A cold is centered in the nose. There are over 200 different types of viruses that can cause a cold. Rhinoviruses, which means "nose viruses", are the most common cause. Respiratory syncitial viruses (RSV) and several others can produce colds.

The three most frequent symptoms of a cold are:
1. stuffed up nose
2. runny nose
3. throat irritation (not a red throat)

Adults and older children with colds generally have minimal or no fever. Infants and toddlers often run a fever in the 100 to 102 degree range.

Depending on which virus is the culprit, the virus might also produce a headache, cough, postnasal drip, burning eyes, muscle aches, or a decreased appetite, but in a cold, the most prominent symptoms are in the nose.

Symptoms start within 1 to 5 days. Usually irritation in the nose or a scratchy feeling in the throat is the first sign, followed within hours by sneezing and a watery nasal discharge.

Within one to three days, the nasal secretions usually become thicker and perhaps yellow or green -- this is a normal part of the common cold and not a reason for antibiotics. During this period, children's eardrums are usually congested, and there may be fluid behind the ears. Antibiotics are not needed at this point.

The entire cold is usually over all by itself in about 7 days, with perhaps a few lingering symptoms (cough) for another week. If it lasts longer, it could be a sinus infection or allergies.

While it lasts, the common cold is primarily a head cold. While you may feel tired or have aches, the illness is centered in the nose, and most of the symptoms are above the neck.

With the flu, you are sick all over with a temperature, aches, lack of energy and within a few days start to develope respiratory symptoms such as chest congestion, and dry hacking cough. The virus can settle anywhere in the respiratory tract, producing symptoms of a cold, croup, sore throat, bronchiolitis, ear infection, and/or pneumonia.

You can find out more about "Cold vs. Flu" at this link. It does a great job at explaining the different symptoms that determine whether you have a cold or a flu.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_577.html

Another main difference between cold and flu is that the flu is preventable through annual flu shots.
I didn't have the flu when i was sick. I had got my flu shot several months prior
I had a cold that turned into bronchitis and a sinus infection because i went too long without going to see a doctor- it was my own fault- but i was broke at the time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I didn't have the flu when i was sick. I had got my flu shot several months prior
It's still possible to get the flu even if you get a flu shot. All that's in that shot is the strains they think will be around during this flu season.

I sort of have the same problem you do. Half the colds I get go straight to my chest and an infection sets up there.

Does anyone else have trouble with actually getting anything out of their lungs? I cough and cough but can never get anything loose. I decided to try some Mucinex last night and it has helped some.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's still possible to get the flu even if you get a flu shot. All that's in that shot is the strains they think will be around during this flu season.

I sort of have the same problem you do. Half the colds I get go straight to my chest and an infection sets up there.

Does anyone else have trouble with actually getting anything out of their lungs? I cough and cough but can never get anything loose. I decided to try some Mucinex last night and it has helped some.
I should clarify a bit- i was told by the doctor my symptoms were not from the flu.
She said it was definitely a result of the inital cold that got out of hands and resulted in getting into my lungs/etc...i have asthma too so things quickly go from bad to worse for me sometimes. (i know it is possible to still get some strains of the flu even with the shot

My doctor gave me an antibiotic (levoquin) and a cough syrup with a decongestant in it to help with getting the junk out of my lungs - i was also using my asthma inhaler and breathing treatments daily too so that helped a lot! She said mucinex works well too as far as otc stuff goes- that might help you. I also bought a cold mist humidifier- and that REALLY helped- you should try that!

If you're really stuff you might want to try one of those Vicks vapor inhalers- they're AMAZING!!!! (Walgreens has their own version of them that's a little less expensive and works the same!) http://www.vicks.com/vapor-inhaler-info.php

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a very bag cough, Delsym. For the general icks, Dayquil and Nyquil.
For homemade remedy - homemade chicken soup - boil chicken thighs or legs until the meat falls off the bones, add lots of onion and garlic, season with tabasco and have the box of tissues handy!!