What's Wrong With This Cat? I'm New. Long Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alphagrrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Black Kitty loves feathers.  He loves EATING them.  I have bought 2-3 toys with feathers, and the first thing he does is pull them out and chew them up.  I just bought this yesterday, and it's in sad shape already.  It HAD feathers on one end, but he immediately pulled them out.  He absolutely loves torturing this thing, but I have to watch him close because he wants to eat the fur too.

gemery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alphagrrl.

Black kitty looks amazing, and very happy indeed. He will never go back to being feral, remember to spend time with him everyday, and you will have a very rewarding relationship with each other. He will teach you as much as you teach him. Unfortunately, Gem recently passed away but even at the age of six I was able to teach him what tummy rub and brush meant. Sure his gifts to me weren't mice, lol, Usually half eaten rabbits. But hey, I loved him heaps and he never went back to the bush which was the greatest gift of all  :)

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can bear to use it, do you have your dog carrier?  The kitty may appreciate the extra room if it is big (the carrier) and you can still throw a towel, sheet or blanket over it, whichever you prefer.  Wash it good so it doesn't smell so much like the dog and if you can, get some catnip and throw that around in the carrier.  That may cause the cat so go silly for a few minutes but then kitty will calm down and rest for you.  Give it a snuggy toy and blanket and hopefully you'll be set.  If it doesn't respond to the catnip, it's only because a small percentage of cats do not have the gene for catnip.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh how sweet.  I read the rest of your posts.  Black Kitty is safe with you.  He came to you and into your home when you needed someone to fill a void and care for you.  Now it is your turn to care for him.  You two are very fortunate to have found each other.  Kitties seem to know.

alphagrrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update on Black Kitty.   He's been acting like he's lived with me all his life.  It's hard to believe he was ever scared of me.  He's stayed indoors for awhile now, but I do let him out a little bit when I come home from work.  He always come back after a few minutes of exploring.  

We had a major breakthrough the other night.  I was on the computer, and my son was on the couch watching TV.  BK was running back and forth through the house like his tail was on fire.  Then I realized my son was playing with the cat with the laser pointer.  I had tried that before, but BK wasn't the least bit interested.  They played for about 20 minutes, and it was hilarious.  It was a breakthrough for the cat AND my son, because till now, he's pretty much ignored BK.  It wouldn't surprise me if BK turns into HIS cat.  

He loves hanging out with me while I'm on the computer.  He loves to sit on the keyboard too, but that's just dang annoying.  I've turned into one of Those People who let their cats watch videos on YouTube.  He tries to eat the screen when he's watching a bird video.  Squirrels, mice, meh, he doesn't care about them.  Baskets full of noisy kittens upset him.  I don't know if he's worried about them or he wants to eat them too.  

I like to go to bed around 9:00pm and watch TV for awhile.  But I have to let BK play with all his toys on my bed first.  Then he'll climb up on me and watch TV with me.  He's been giving me little love bites for quite awhile, but the other night he did something new.  He was all cuddled up on my chest and I rubbed my chin on his head like I always do.  The next thing I knew, he 'bit' me on the side of my neck and made the funniest little noise.  We both froze, and I said "Kitty? Uhhhh? Please don't kill me?"   LOL  He let go and just laid there purring like crazy.

I feel BK has been very playful, considering his life before now and the fact that I think he forgot how to play.  Last night I guess it all came back to him, because he was totally out of control CRAZY!!!  He zoomed around the house at full speed and then he'd stop and inspect a chair or something like he'd never seen it before.  He tried to tackle me anytime I walked past, and he tackled his pile of toys about 10 times.  I think he was trying his best to TALK to me.  He was very entertaining, and I thought, THIS is how cats are supposed to act.

I'm going to ask the vet to retest him the next time I go back, because if Black Kitty is sick, somebody forgot to tell HIM.  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What adorable pics, love the leg only shot :)

Wonderful update!! Yaay!!

His now spunky playfulness is due to his loss of any fear, cats insecurities will keep them from playing, but forget about holding back, he is on it!! 

If I remember correctly without re-reading this thread, he tested positive for felv correct?

Do you remember what I told you before? His being unneutered means he got into fights, which is the biggest spreader of felv unless passed along from the mother.

But first of all, only a few who have been infected with it will actually get it, the rest will be able to fight it off and get rid of it.

You need to wait at least 6 months from the last time he was tested to know, if he is pos again then ask for the IFA test for confirmation. The snap test only tells you if he has contracted the virus, but not whether it is in his bone marrow or not.

Also, if he is infact positive and the IFA confirms it is in his marrow, with a strong, healthy immune system it will be years before his health shows signs of declining.

Personally I would wait, get it confirmed with an IFA test result, and if pos, research how you can support his immune system to keep it as healthy and strong as you possibly can, and he can live a very good amount of years..

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Black Kitty knew you were in need of some love - that is why he came in the door on his own - his kitty sense knew there was a dog in the house and that the house was Kiki domain. Black Kitty knew Kiki was not in the physical world, he knew that it was okay for him now to come into the house. For all we know Kiki could have reached out to Black Kitty and gave his permission for Black Kitty to enter the house. Cats and dogs are very spiritual animals, you may have wondered why your dog runs out into the yard at night and barks at what you think is nothing but you do not see thru the eyes or senses of the dog. There natural senses for survival are very strong and also there sense for where there home is. My cat went out one night and did not come back for 2 months. Then one night I hear his call to let me in - he was a wreck, thin and hopping on three legs - his right rear leg had bones showing and I could tell that there was more than just that. He had a break in the hip area as he howled anytime you touched it. I gave him a warm bath and then dressed his open wound. No objection of the bath either, he knew I was helping him. I made him a box to lay in with one side totally open so he could get to the litter box. He didn't move much but he did eat now and again. This is normal for injured animals - they know what to do to put themselves in the healing mode. I told him that he would be okay and now that you have learned your lesson you are now going to be a home cat. And as soon as you are better your going to the vet to be neutered. I went to the vet and he gave me some things to give him - one was an injection for a immune system boost - I thought this was going to be interesting -Puddy was already in pain and I was going to jab him with a needle - I sat him on my lap and mentally told him that he was going to get a needle and don't panic - then I told him verbally of what was going to happen. He took it like a trooper - not one flinch or howl or the showing of claws. After that he just sat there and purred and started kneading me. In one months time he was up and walking around with a little limp - outside he went one day and ran down the driveway like a cat on a mission. He stopped at the gate and ran back inside. At this point I knew he was strong enough for the vet to neuter him. I only did this for his protection - this to my knowledge was his first visit to a vet - he was a rescue cat - not rescued from a shelter - rescued from under the car in my drive way. to make a long story short he know chases any stray dog away from the yard. He has made friend with Goldie as he was a puppy when Puddy was found. I was given Puddy by the owners of Goldie. I rent a house on their property. We often say we are running an animal shelter here - now there are three cats - one dog - three birds - and one lizard. People often forget the true history of the domestication of cats and dogs done centuries ago - they were domesticated for our protection as well as theirs. Ancient egypt is rich in history of cats and dogs. Some of the rituals that our cats do today are because of that era of history. All together now - give your animals a big hug. HUG

lvmygrdn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It warmed my heart reading your update. I'm so glad you and Black Kitty have each other. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Alphagrrl   Your thread is a beautiful inspiration for anyone who is considering, or just taken in, a stray or feral cat with a need for serious health care and nurture.  Black Kitty is stunning and you saw his potential from the moment he came in to your life then helped him back to being a happy, healthy cat.  Just look at that shiny fur in the bottom photo.   Your tale of his remembering how to play and your watching Black Kitty with your son before his coming up and cuddling in with you has made my day.  

Oh, and Mouse once tried that neck-biting trick!   I responded a bit like you,  LoL.   (He hasn't done it again thankfully but he does lick my neck occasionally).  

alphagrrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Black Kitty has had a lot of fun this week.  A few nights ago I introduced him to a grocery bag left open on the floor.   I think he played with it for 30 minutes, and then I started throwing his toys into it.  He is absolutely hilarious when he's in crazy cat mode.

Today was such a beautiful day, so we went outside for awhile.  He loves to roll around in the grass like a dog.   He relaxed in the clover for awhile, and then he jumped up and ran into KiKi's pen like the devil was chasing him.  I said "What the heck are you doing in there?!"   He just looked at me like I was crazy for even asking.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweet post :)

He is such a handsome guy I tell ya, maybe it's my love for black cats but come on now, I just want to maul him!! He looks like a plush toy.

rayd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stray cats can make the best pets.. another inspiring story of a little street urchin who ends up being a wonderful companion..

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with @catwoman707  He is gorgeous and just like a big plush toy cat that you want to burry your face right in to  (I had one called Jenkins), only Black Kitty would be all warm. I can dream that he would cuddle back.  

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just went back and looked at the first pictures you posted.  What a transformation.  He is just gorgeous and has made a home for himself.  You did something so very special for him.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Gosh what a beautiful cat.  I can't believe people really believe that rubbish about black cats, but I know they do because our shelter has to reduce the fee on them to get them adopted.
It really ticks me off how people are about black cats. I have had several and am a sucker for them every time I see them. I have found them to be more loving than normal, at least with the ones I've had.

T.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow , this is my first time seeing this thread . I read through the whole thing . What a great story .. You  are wonderful for rescuing this beautiful boy .  He is gorgeous and he certainly looks happy .  I love all your pics .  These ones here are my favorite . He looks like a character .. Thanks for the update ..

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot believe that is the same cat!!  He loved his "dry grass" bath!!  How lucky that you can be outside enjoying fresh air.  We here in the Midwest and New England states are freezing!! 

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.