Whats wrong with her?

hillary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I recently got Phoebe spayed on November 6th, and ever since then her personality and bathroom habbits have been completely different. She's calmed down in the zooming around the house sense, but has gotten naughtier. Jumping on things she knows she's not allowed on. The spray bottle doesn't work anymore. Infact, it never worked that much to begin with. Then there are her bathroom problems. When I took her into my life she was very litter trained and her only problem was flicking litter out of the pan but I got her a covered, translucent box and she seemed to love it. Then I got her spayed and even if its spotless she won't go near it. We have two litter boxes in the house. My house is very small, about 1000 sq ft.

She has since started pooping in my bathtub, pooped in the corner of my room, and the worst offense was when she POOPED INTO MY RABBIT CAGE. Now, a little background info. My rabbit Leo got along well with Phoebe. They would both hang out when she would be sitting on a blanket on top of his cage and he'd be munching on hay underneath of her paying her no mind. But she's pooped into his cage twice, and just before I typed this she peed into it as well, but the towel I had over it stopped it mostly.

A few days ago I caught her peeing into the kitchen sink. I rinsed out the sink afterwards and went online about it. We don't clean our drains out with bleach at all. I then remembered my friend Bethany who had a cat who would pee in the toilet whenever he had a UTI. I figured, why not? Cats will sometimes pee on cold surfaces to help with the burning sensations. I called my vet the next day and while I wasn't able to bring her in for an exam (work and school have gotten in the way), I was given some antibiotics just incase. Well I've had them for about 3 days and things haven't gotten better. I'm calling the vet tomorrow to get some flea protection, as it seems that she has them.

I'm just at a loss and I know a Vet visit is coming, I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas? Like I said these behavior problems haven't popped up until after she got back from being spayed.

Please help.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She may associate some sort of pain from the spay with the litter box. Others can tell you how to get her rehabituated, but that is essentially what will be required.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would remove the cover from the box. You say she loves it, but IMO covered boxes are not the greatest. They have no choice where to enter the box and if it is soiled there, they are not going to want to go in. Covered boxe also trap amonia odors. Nasty for the cat to breathe.

My cat is just getting over a UTI and it took longer than 3 days for him to show any real improvement.

Other than that, I hope someone comes along with more info. But I'd definately try taking the top off the box and see if things improve.

Keep us posted.

PS Try to get a urine sample using aquarium gravel in the box. dust free. That's what I did and was able to get an excellent sample. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I removed the cover last night, and I tried just placing her in it (not forcing her) but she freaked out and ran away from it. I haven't changed the litter, and its the same litter she's used since I got her.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know if your cat is allergic to fleas? I was just reading a thread where someone who has a cat that has a flea allergy always stops using the box when bitten by a flea, which is how she knows kitty needs treatment.

Are you sure she's OK? One of our kitties pees outside the box whenever she's in pain from her teeth. It really could be so many things. Perhaps take her back to the vet for a check-up to make sure nothing is wrong.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying Cat Attract litter. You can find a dealer on their website. Carolinalima (TCS member) says that the first bag has a rebate so that's it's free, but I don't know the details - perhaps PM her. But here's the website: http://www.preciouscat.com/

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Attract Litter is a WONDERFUL litter - we actually have a thread going here of some members reporting that the cats are so crazy about it that they pee on the box, on the litter bag... , wherever the litter is, they are peeing on it
. There was a member that had on cat that peed on the sink for a long long time, until she started using this product, and never again...
Try it!
Hereis the rebate form - the first bag is free - you can buy it at Petco, or, if she is a kitten, you can use Kitten Attract - you can buy it at PetSmart. Either product will help you tremendously provided that this is not a medical problem... http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_...ll_8-17-06.pdf
Edit: here is the thread about funny success cat attract stories: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207859

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her peeing and pooping on the rabbit cage could be a scent issue. Marking/claiming that area for whatever reason.

You mentioned that she does have fleas? Please tell your vet that you have an indoor rabbit and see what they can give you for him. He doesn't need to live with fleas and he'll play host to them if they're kept off the cat and will make it impossible for you to get rid of the fleas entirely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm calling the vet tomorrow and I'm going to try to squeeze in an appointment for her as soon as possible. She pooped into Leo's cage once again tonight, and almost got him. I noticed she paws at the walls, standing upright on her back legs and does her business that way. She NEVER did this before I got her spayed. This is my first time dealing with a freshly spayed cat. My two previous cats were already spayed I got them, and well into adulthood. I'm hoping my vet has an opening. She only does it at night too, and during the day she poos in the bathtub.

I'm just at a loss.