What's wrong with asking questions?

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have several cats that have health problems which are life long health problems. I have made a point to research these problems and become an expert on them. I believe it will help my cats and that I can make sure that what the vet does and prescribes is proper. If I had done that with some of my previous cats, I think some of them would still be living or would have lived longer.

Having said that, is there anything wrong with me politely questioning a vet when he/she does/prescribes something that doesn't make sense to me? I've noticed that some vets seem to get a little huffy when I do this. Others don't seem to mind when I ask these questions and one vet even told me he liked that I was asking these questions.

The reason I'm asking this is because I actually did this to my dad's lawyer. My mom and I wanted to make sure the lawyer was indeed correct in stating that he could win my dad's legal case because if he doesn't it could financially ruin my parents and I could wind up working a crap job the rest of my life. The lawyer got huffy at my question (and the way I asked it), told my dad that I was arguing with him and acting like a lawyer (I didn't do any of this). Apparently, this lawyer did not like me stating the law and some brief facts regarding the case prior to asking the question. I had to though, it was the only way he would know what the heck I was talking about. So anyway, now my dad is royally ticked off at me.

So I'm just wondering whether it's ok to question people (like lawyers and doctors) when they say things that don't make sense. For example, many veterinarians believe there is no cure/treatment for ureteroliths (ureter stones). But there is surgery and other things that can remove these stones. So if your cat had one and the vet didn't think anything could be done, wouldn't you take to the vet the articles you found from veterinary colleges stating that there is indeed treatment? Opinions anyone?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have the right to question any service you are paying for. If someone doesn't like it, take your time and money elsewhere.
Always remember no one else is going to advocate for you (or your pets), it's up to you to see to it.

Question everything. Never blindly accept anything. If no questions are asked nothing is ever learned.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with above.

My vet is wonderful, he welcomes my research and is always happy to look into something for me or call another vet's office for info I've found.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't trust any person who is not willing to answer questions.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet welcomes questions, and when I did a lot of research into obese cats when I adopted one, asked me if she could copy it for other clients to read so they had some knowledge while dealing with their cats issues.

Lawyers, however are a different breed altogether

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You have the right to question any service you are paying for. If someone doesn't like it, take your time and money elsewhere.
Always remember no one else is going to advocate for you (or your pets), it's up to you to see to it.

Question everything. Never blindly accept anything. If no questions are asked nothing is ever learned.

My vet expects my questions, and like someone else said, has actually asked my permission to use info I've given her with other clients.

So yes, in my opinion, it should be expected in any profession, that questions are acceptable. Rather than feeling that you are doubting them, you'd think a lawyer would find a question challenging his methods as an opportunity to explain himself. One would think.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have trouble with asking questions because I was afraid I'd come off as rude, but I am getting better at it. I agree with what has been said.
Though in the case of the lawyer, I am not sure you could ever be 100% certain, no matter how many questions you ask, that your case will be won...I could be wrong though.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always ask questions! I question my doctors all the time - I want to know what they're doing and why. It's my body, my life and I want to know what they're doing.

On the other hand, you don't want to offend good people. I would call up the lawyer if you can, apologise if you offended them, and say you just care deeply about the case and the outcome and want to be sure your family is making the right decision. If he's still in idiot, you need to get your parents to get away from him.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I always ask questions! I question my doctors all the time - I want to know what they're doing and why. It's my body, my life and I want to know what they're doing.

On the other hand, you don't want to offend good people. I would call up the lawyer if you can, apologise if you offended them, and say you just care deeply about the case and the outcome and want to be sure your family is making the right decision. If he's still in idiot, you need to get your parents to get away from him.
terrific advice!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it all the time and my vet listens.
Coco would not be on one
Azodyl if Carolina had not suggested it.
I talked to the vet about it and they said yes.
When I had Gall Bladder problems the Dr kept saying it is not that and never tested when I was sure it was.
She kept saying it was my influx disease and I knew it was not.
It got so bad I had to go to er and they new very fast what it was.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

She kept saying it was my influx disease and I knew it was not.
It got so bad I had to go to er and they new very fast what it was.
Acid reflux? That's one of the side effects/symptoms of gallbladder diseases. I hope that improved for you.
I would guess that ERs see a lot of people with gallbladder issues because it's usually not an issue until the person is a bad attack. Still any doctor should be able to recognize it.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course it is!! Doctors and lawyer are human too, and they make mistakes. They should remember that and not get an attitude. That would make me mad.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a severe Gall Bladder attack at the time and I kept telling her it was not the acid reflex but she did not listen.
Of course I still have the acid reflex but that terrible pain has never come back since my gall bladder was removed.
That dr is no longer my dr either.
We filed a complaint.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, any professional who is not good at his/her job will not want people asking questions.

The people who really know their profession welcome questions - if they don't know the answer they will at least have an opinion or will tell you if they aren't sure (and will find out the answer for you). The professionals that I know who are great at their jobs love talking about their work and like it if someone's question really makes them think!

Run away from the one who doesn't like for you to ask questions. Then find someone more competent.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

It was a severe Gall Bladder attack at the time and I kept telling her it was not the acid reflex but she did not listen.
Of course I still have the acid reflex but that terrible pain has never come back since my gall bladder was removed.
That dr is no longer my dr either.
We filed a complaint.
I'm glad you fired that doctor.
No one should be afraid to do this. I hope your complaint had some impact.

I still have acid reflux, too, but it's better than it was with the gallbladder. I still have some pain (left and right sided), but I suspect that's because I still have a biliary system disease - but my liver function tests look better.

The initial doctor that sent me for tests and confirmed it was my gallbladder (ultrasound tech technically diagnosed it) told my father that I would never need surgery, it wasn't that serious, and that I wouldn't have any attacks after that one.
I questioned this but my father didn't because that's what he wanted to hear.

The same doctor also prescribed narcotic painkillers to a 13 year old (DH's cousin) for migraines without trying any other treatments.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Ditto, I totally agree with every word you said.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The lawyer got huffy at my question (and the way I asked it), told my dad that I was arguing with him and acting like a lawyer (I didn't do any of this). Apparently, this lawyer did not like me stating the law and some brief facts regarding the case prior to asking the question. I had to though, it was the only way he would know what the heck I was talking about. So anyway, now my dad is royally ticked off at me.
In my humble opinion. You'd be better off with a different attorney. It is the responsibility of counsel to ensure that both he and his client(s) are on the same page. If he has a problem with that, to me that reflects him feeling insecure about his knowledge of the law AND/OR abilities as an attorney, and you would be better off with a more seasoned, more knowledgeable and confident attorney. Either that or he's just a jerk, in which case unless he's really good, you're still better off with a different attorney.

As a law student, I've told profs that I disagreed with something, or that the logic that they were using didn't quite sound right to me and instead of getting upset at my questioning them, they would often take extensive time to go through in a more detailed manner how their logic (or a judge's logic) got from point A to point B. In fact, I would get bonus points (literally) for asking. Now, law school is a different setting than an attorney-client setting, but I've also interned several times with attorneys in areas ranging from criminal law to international bankruptcy in a variety of cities, and even countries (I spent a summer interning for a top firm in London). Whenever the client had questions or concerns, the attorneys (or at least the good attorneys) would take the time to make sure that they were on the same page with their client and that the client was confident that they were proceeding correctly. They did so even when they really didn't have the time to do so because they were overworked. My mother is an attorney and I've watched her do the same. I got to watch one of the best criminal law attorneys in Florida often as while I wasn't interning for him, his daughter and my brother were close friends and I'd often see him in court when I was interning with some other attorneys in criminal law. His clients were facing jail time, and in some cases, the death penalty. Keep in mind, not only is he one of the best criminal law attorneys in Florida, but HE KNOWS that he is one of the best criminal law attorneys in Florida. He never got short with his clients, he never was upset at his clients questioning him and being concerned, he was always professional, polite, and proper when speaking with clients (and their family).

So, maybe your dad would be best off with a better attorney.

As far as doctors, I question my doctors ALL THE TIME. As for vets, ditto.

You were not in the wrong. JMHO