What's Wrong W/feral Tnrs Face? Same But Less Raw On Leg (nsfw Pics)

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this guy is digging himself to bits? Is this fleas? Could it be ear mites? I'm guessing the active bleeding was wacking his face into the trap in a panic.

Vet didn't say a word and I didn't realize how bad it was. His ears look dirty but can't tell.

He got advantage, vaxx, deworm. This is 12 hours post surgery (im not suggesting surgery or meds was involved).
20190307_023615.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks more like fleas or mites. If he had hit his face on the trap his nose would have been bleeding. That looks more like he has been scratching at his face.

If he got Advantage that should take care of the fleas or mites.

Where is he now? Can you keep him contained for a few days to see if this gets any better or worse?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I transferred him to a small bathroom for observation

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some times they get angry when they are itching and scratch too hard.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Surgery for? Neutering? Can you touch him? Try using grocery store chamomile tea bags (not English, and no additives), brew them, cool the liquid, and then use cotton balls to dab them on the sores. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

If it is/was fleas, then with the tea, they should go away pretty quickly. I would look for another vet, btw. For nothing to be mentioned about those places is kind of crazy. Sorry, if I am not understanding the 'full picture'.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The advantage should take care of the fleas so he'll stop scratching if it's from fleas. I've seen a few toms fighting, but I've never seen them mess each other's faces up like that.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m shocked the vet made no comment but he was looking st the other end if it was neutering. I am so grateful to you for keeping him in to watch!!!! :clap2: You are fantastic. This poor kitty is really a mess and with it being in such a delicate place he must be miserable. I think the previous suggestions could really help. I would totally send the photo of this cat via email or text back to that vet. Pronto! I would call and ask about the damages to this kitty’s face and what they think the kitty needs. I know vets are swamped during their assigned Spay/neuter days but this really should have been noted by a tech or someone on staff and if it was then someone should have commented on it to you or at the very least, added it to his records. I would approach it as,” I’m sure you noticed the kitty’s face but somehow , with all that was going on, it wasn’t discussed when you picked the cat up. “ People are human and do miss things. If they don’t answer you to your satisfaction, then you might need to get him elsewhere. I am hoping the wounds will heal quickly now that he is on the flea meds.
Again, Bravo to you for caring so much. Seeing this beautiful face so marred with wounds broke my heart. Knowing you are helping him, gave me great relief! Thank you! I’d love to see him again. Please keep us posted about him.

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news!

It looks like everything scabbed over already. Theres not even any pink. I'm hoping that means it was fleas and banging against the trap. The trap is cheap, I'll check it to see if its got sharp insides.

He for sure is not letting me touch him to apply anything. I think I'm just going to let him go soon. He's spending his time hiding in the litter, which can't be healthy. It's just a matter of time before I open the door and get a face full of fury-the bathroom is just big enough for a tub and toilet basically.

He's eating what he's given, so no issues there.

The vet is just a TNR vet at this place as far as I know, so a full TNR + advantage + vax is $45. I think antibiotic shots are no charge when I've gotten it. If there are other TNR places, I don't know them and the next cheapest is more than double as doesn't have the same no appointment set up. Since I have about 20 cats to do before moving, I want to stick with a place I can afford.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing huge things before you move. That is awesome! You are doing a great thing for those cats! I hope the kitty is healed totally up before he has to go out.
I do understand about the vets that do tons of Spay/neuters. It’s almost assembly line for them with an overwhelming number of cats to be done. It can be a very tough time for the vets to get to so many.
Since you are moving, is there a rescue or feral feeding situation there? Will others be involved in keeping the kitties monitored?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping all these cats.

I guess clinics that treat a lot of ferals are used to seeing some pretty beat-up looking tom cats. There's not much they can do except give them antibiotics and flea treatment, unless the cat has some serious injuries.

I'm glad he's showing signs of healing already.

Good luck with the rest of the trapping.

:goodluck:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez, I just paid 170.00 to have a stray spayed! But he is such a good vet, and hasn't charged us at all for euthanization of the wounded, etc., I will gladly pay it if he is discounting people that really can't afford it, I wish we had a low cost neuter in this town. The nearest is 70 miles away, and after siting in the car with carriers full of crying kittens for an hour, I don'tbreally want to go through that again, I thought I'd go insane!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog hated her kennel, she had knee surgery and it was a must for night time. She banged her head on the top of it until her head bled. The top of her head, not her face. I sewed a towel onto the inside top of the cage using dental floss since it's stronger than thread. You might want to consider this for your traps. It ought to make the kits feel safer once they are in the trap, since it covers one side. Of course it does nothing for the sides. I'm not sure you could put it on the sides and the trap still work.

I'm sorry I didn't think of it until you mentioned him banging against the trap.

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since you are moving, is there a rescue or feral feeding situation there? Will others be involved in keeping the kitties monitored?
Sadly no. One cat did get a tipped ear that I never got, so somebody might be helping ferals.

On the other hand, theres been 3 friendly stray cats here and I've rehomed all three (including the hurt cat I posted about elsewhere that I'm all but certain to take with me). In GA theres so many bugs and rodents that nobody is going hungry.

I sewed a towel onto the inside top of the cage using dental floss since it's stronger than thread. You might want to consider this for your traps. It ought to make the kits feel safer once they are in the trap, since it covers one side. Of course it does nothing for the sides. I'm not sure you could put it on the sides and the trap still work.
I considered this.

I caught a second cat and he did the same thing, bashed his face up :( He left blood drops on the bathroom floor. It was not cool.

But at the same time, I'm a little worried about doing something that causes the trap to fail. I'm assuming this is a one shot deal-if they go in the trap and get back out, they aren't going in the trap again. It's tough because I am giving antibiotics to one cat (used to be two but just caught one yesterday and got him to the vet!) and withholding food is harder than normal. I'll keep working on it!

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: He's been back to feed twice. He's got some missing fur above his eyes but everything else is 100% healed. I'm guessing the fleas and face smashing are what made him look so bad :( But he's good now :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that you are there to take care of them, that you can get the antibiotics means it's worth risky of them banging their faces and heads against the cage. I had lots more options with my dog. You are doing wonderfully, never doubt it.