What's up with cats pushing things off stuff?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this too. Watch your dishes or anything breakable. I generally don't have things left out, which is good since earrings, hair ties, pens, and other things from my counters, dressers, etc. have been messed with. She will EAT bills if the mood strikes, so money needs to be hidden from her. She shreds paper when in the mood. One never knows when. She will also dig in people's purses and drag things out occasionally, really embarrassing.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread really made me chuckle! Both my cats perform Gravity Experiments on a regular basis. With Newt it's usually small things like pushing pens off the coffee table. Ripley is much more ambitious however. Once when she was a kitten I made the mistake of leaving a carton of eggs open on the kitchen bench. There were four eggs left in it. She lifted each egg out of the carton, rolled them across the bench & onto the floor.
When we moved into the house we put a shelf up in the living room. It wasn't long before I gave up trying to put anything on it. We still have the shelf but it now has the sole purpose of providing a perch for Ripley to survey her kingdom!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Many, many years ago, when Hydrox was an only cat, I had placed a plant in the center of the bow window in the living room. I really didn't think about the window sill being "his" spot and in thinking about it, it was stupid of me to even think that the plant would be safe.

And it wasn't. As soon as I put the plant there, Hydrox jumped into the window and sat down. And nudged over toward the plant. Intrigued, I sat down on the sofa and watched him. He stood up, moved a bit closer to the plant and sat back down again. He kept doing this until he knocked that poor plant out of the bow window and on to the floor. As soon as the plant fell, he jumped out of the window, walked over to me, gave this meow-snort kind of noise and sauntered away.

Lesson learned....no more plants in the window. Cats do rule.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This thread makes me laugh too.

There are certain things we just can't keep on the coffee table - like pens or important mail. Batman likes to take mail and carry it upstairs to his lair. (He'll take cards off the fridge too if they're low enough
) He likes to knock things off that are interesting if they spin around - like a pen. He's not into knocking things off that are boring. I think we keep the house cleaner because we have him now - if junk was laying around, he'd be into it.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it was LDG that mentioned this and Im wondering the same thing... are your cats just trying to get your attention???

All i know is thats the ONLY time my cat pushes stuff off - he'll even jump on my desk -reach up to my shelf and push off whatever is there - BUT ONLY IN THE MORNING HOURS or in the middle of the night - when hes hungry.
In fact (not that this is a good idea) i will feed him at that point because its the only thing ive found that will stop this behavior and i can get some sleep. But it usually is an every night/morning thing. If i move everything off my desk and bureau - he will swat at my fake tree (which i had to move also) and then WATCH me to see what i do.... when I get up - he runs to the kitchen to eat. So maybe somehow I trained him to do this... but its now a routine for us.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In our house we KNOW that Forrest will always knock things off the counters, tables, etc. My husband forgot and recently left a very heavy glass on the edge of the kitchen counter and walked away. I was in my office and I thought a bomb went off in our kitchen. I came running in to find that Forrest had pushed the glass off onto the tile floor.

Honestly, when vacuuming up the glass it was like over 15 ft. away and I was still hearing glass go up the vacuum tube. PLUS the floor tile was chipped. He is definitely the devil of the household.

Only Forrest pushes things off the counters and tables. The other two don't bother anything. He's an incorrigible beast but I love him.

kittyfluffybutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poppy only does this with pens. She loves pens. And tampons. She will fish a tampon out of my bag! I found a few under the sofa. But Pens are a good target if on the table. Like said earlier in the post, I believe this is them testing to see if it's good for a chase. So far, table-top items in my house are largely safe. She knows that tables and shelving with my stuff on are both out of bounds... She has special places left for her to climb and wreak havoc haha. Love my little princess fluffybutt!