What's the oldest thing you own?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oldest thing I own is a vintage onyx entaglio set from my paternal grandmother, and the 3 karat sapphire ring from my maternal grandmother.

Both were purchased the day I was born.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really have a lot of keepsakes etc, most of my stuff I had to buy myself.
I guess the oldest thing I own would be my husband.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a lot of keepsake stuff passed down either. I do have a few antiques like colorful bottles and such that are prettying up my kitchen windowsill in the sunlight!
Oh, my Grandma did give me a gravy boat that was her mother's, and I plan to pass on too. I'd say that's probably the oldest thing.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I think it's my ggg grandfather's Bible which he brought from England about 1838.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Earl's great-grandfather's collapsable cup made of 3 silver dollars that was produced in (he thinks) 1893. The oldest thing in his family is a painting from one of the ancient Chinese dynasties, but probably the most prized is a print of Mozart from the late 1700s and there are only 2 others in existance. One of the other ones is in a museum in Munich, Germany.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 crystal goblets with green ?paint ?glaze as a design, that came over from Sicily with my paternal great-grandmother. I have no idea how long they have been in the family - if she got them or if they belonged to her or her husband's family and were passed on to them.

I also have a circa 1870 Dutch Cut glass wool holder that I think is lovely

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an earring that was my grandmother's that was made into a pendant after she died. It's probably from the 1940's.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine personally would be Sammy my doll had him since I was three , my microscope 1930's ( it is really heavy and works better than new ones) , the desk my computer is on is about 180 years old ... actually most of what I own is old..lmao..

senga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still have my teddy that was bought by my great gran before I was born. I've just turned 30 this year.He's a bit banged up and I had to sew his head back on (don't ask
)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The oldest is the abstract to the home I currently own - it has original documents about the sale of the land from 1847. Next oldest is probably the house itself (about 1902). Both get sold next month.

For personal items, I have my great-grandmother's pocket watch. It probably dates to about 1910.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered that I have an old newspaper from 1861. The Richmond Times before it was the Richmond times.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an 1880s gold Waltham locket watch, on a chain set with pink tourmalines. I even have the original jeweler's box, that it came. BTW: the watch still works.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a silver ring and a silver Phoenix necklace with a huge turquise that I picked up at an auction in Arizona. Both are of Native American design and are about 75 years old each.