What's the longest a cat ever went without eating?

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old cat, Monkeydo, started throwing up September 3rd. Keeps down very little. He has liver cysts inside and outside which press on his stomach and gallbladder. Makes him nauseous, makes him throw up. Before 2 days ago he loved to drink from the faucet. Now nothing. He was hospitalized for 2 days, got fluids, cerenia, pain meds, and I had started Gabapentin cream as well. He ate nothing for the vet. Now I have him home for the weekend and he is eating nothing for me. So basically he is going without any real nutrients for about 9 days now. His ultrasound saw the cysts were larger than last year, but his lungs, heart, and blood work were all just fine. So I have opted for the surgery they suggested last year which is risky, particularly since no vet I have seen is familiar with this. There is so much to this story but what I really want to know is, can I make him last until Monday when he has his surgery? I'm going to be giving him Sub-Q fluids today and tomorrow. Thanks.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He needs to be syringe fed. Mix canned food with water to form a thin paste and use a syringe to slowly feed him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He needs to be syringe fed. Mix canned food with water to form a thin paste and use a syringe to slowly feed him.
The internist and I discussed that possibility yesterday, actually a feeding tube, and the belief is under the circumstances he will just throw it all up. He can't keep anything down. Not even water.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Then he needs to be back at the vet on iv fluids. Dehydration and malnutrition can cause complications during surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then he needs to be back at the vet on iv fluids. Dehydration and malnutrition can cause complications during surgery.
I will be giving him 150 mL of Sub-Q fluids each evening. They said if I couldn't then I should return him Sunday night so they could get him hydrated enough for surgery Monday afternoon. I just force fed him some turkey baby food. Will keep trying every hour and pray that he can keep it down.