What's the likelyhood she'd stay affectionate?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all

Picasso is very affectionate, being around 6 months old. She's a leg rubber, an extremely LOUD purr'er and enjoys crawling into my lap for a good snuggle session (and after she gets a snuggle from me, she walks over to Monet for more snuggles!)

What's the odds she'd stay that way as she'd get older? Think she could get even more affectionate if I continue to give her the attention she wants?

vcsl1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think provided you get her neutered, if you haven't already, I don't see why she wouldn't stay like that. It's clearly her natural way. The reason I mention the neutering, is that the females can tend to get moody as their hormones fluctuate, a bit like human women. When you neuter them, this doesn't happen.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Older cats tends to be more and more affectionade. So it is possible she will be a little less affecionate when her adolescent-period comes (and more indenpendent) - which is soon, but later on, as adult, she will like to be near you, etc....

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might settle down a little as she gets into middle age--so, more of being draped across your lap, less of trying to knock you down rubbing against your legs. But aging won't change her personality that much--she'll still be the same cat, only older, more sensible, less likely to bounce off the walls like a fuzzy pinball.
Many older cats get more affectionate because they have gotten out of the bouncy, troublesome, into-everything hyper stage, and have settled down. So they no longer bounce out of your lap the second they see something move.

Lots of cats stay kittenlike well into adulthood. So, if she is ten years old and still kitten-crazy, it won't be out of the norm. Most settle down at least a little by age three to five, though.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to say for sure as all kitties are different. That being said, my Pria was the most affectionate kitten EVER when she came to me. We were inseparable, and she was always cuddling with me. If I sat down, she was in my lap. Well unfortunately she grew out of it.
She's still a sweet girl, but not cuddly at all and very independent. She only comes around if I have yogurt or a glass that she can lick condensation off of.
Breaks my heart really because I LOVED how cuddly she was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Picasso is spayed, I wouldn't have it any other way!

I guess it depends on the cats. Monet was a little affectionate as a kitten, and he's not really affectionate now. just at night when he's in the mood for some lovin'.

I hope she remains that lap cat. If she doesn't, I will still love her anyways!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even the non-lap-cat cats are affectionate, in their own way. Tiny, for example, will hang around the same room I'm in at all times. Just because he doesn't sit on my lap doesn't mean he's not affectionate; in fact, he's acutely aware of me and how I'm feeling. He has even got the habit of head-butting me out of a mental freeze or loop (long story--my brain gets stuck sometimes, basically) and jumping onto my bed to get me up in the mornings. He's not affectionate in the classic sense--not clingy and in your face--but he definitely thinks of me as a friend and as someone he knows very well.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the only way to find out is to watch her grow up!

Both our cats were adults when we adopted them- Genever about 1.5 years old and Dorothy about 9. Both of them became more affectionate the longer we've had them. We got G-cat in January 2009 and she decided to become a lapcat in November of that year.
We got Dotster in January 2011, and in the past month or 2 she became really snuggly and kind of my shadow a lot of the day. It's really sweet.