What's the grossest thing you have found in your pantry/fridge?

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
after HeldDown's post about her rancid potatoes, i was wondering what is the most horrid thing you have found lurking in your kitchen or house ? i'm talking about food here, not mother in laws

The worst thing i found was bait, not in my kitchen but in our yard...

my husband and i went fishing and had a heap of bait left in the esky, we were so tired after the five hour drive home that we just left it in the yard....and forgot about it

a few months later we were looking for the esky when we remembered it's fate and with great hesitation went into the yard to see how bad it was..

Jeff lifted the lid and damn was that the worst smell i have encountered in my whole life

there was maggots crawling all through it and it actually managed to make both my stomache turn, my throat close and my eye's water all at the same time.

neither of us wanted to clean it so we left it there...it's still out there now, waiting for us to clean it

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found something nasty yesterday
I had this cheese & chive dip with best before date 15th August... Well anyway, I took it out of the fridge, sat down in front of the TV and I was just about to dip some Ryvita into it when I noticed the whole top was covered in green grossness
That went straight in the bin - lucky I noticed before I ate it. Can't believe it went off even though it had a few days left on the label

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iv'e had a few things go off before there used by date too, luckily i have noticed before eating them too

when i was a child my brothers and i used to play under the house, the house was up pretty high and there was plenty of space. we had toys and stuff under there and one day we took some orange juice under there for a picnic.

about a week later i went back under and took a huge sip of the orange juice, i felt something furry slide down my throat, when i took the lid off the jug i realised the top of the juice was covered in green fuzz
i still remember how it felt

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex boyfriend. Half in it, half out of it, naked apart from a pair of red wellington boots, claiming to be God and licking some week-old coleslaw off the inside of the fridge door. I'm not sure what was worse... the furry colseslaw or the ex. Probably the ex.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, there's nothing better than cold pizza... but I don't think I'd go so far as to eat it when it's two weeks old
It was probably a good thing that you got rid of it... though perhaps it could ahve come in useful... mending the bottoms of buckets, for example... frizbee for the dog to play with... that sort of thing!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Hey, there's nothing better than cold pizza... but I don't think I'd go so far as to eat it when it's two weeks old
It was probably a good thing that you got rid of it... though perhaps it could ahve come in useful... mending the bottoms of buckets, for example... frizbee for the dog to play with... that sort of thing!
Cold pizza is good, but not pizza bread - this was in the pantry! LOL!

I chucked it out onto the back lawn. A few seconds later I looked out the window and my dog barrel butt was eating it!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last week I poured milk that expired on July 30 into my tea...it didn't flow out but rather fell out in chunks

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A couple of weeks ago, I opened a brand new, sealed box of grits and found that it was a sealed box of black bugs. I will not buy that brand at that store again!

serenasmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my own 'sour milk' encounter last week. I was at my dad's house, and I'm used to assuming that everything in the fridge is still good. I will never think that again! So, there I was, pouring ini-Wheats into my bowl, and I got the milk out of the fridge and poured it in
. Obviously, I was NOT paying attention, because when I went to take a bite... It was the most horrible taste EVER! And I stood there for about 20 seconds thinking, What do I do with it? I don't want to swallow it!
Blech! Worst thing, especially so early in the morning! As it turns out, the milk had been bad for awhile, but no one discovered it until me. Lucky, lucky me...

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh boy... I shared a flat once with this girl who just didnt have any idea about food hygiene... She was a really nice girl, but boy she had some foul habits.

Anyway, one day, bright and early, the guys in the next place were going into the markets so we tagged along. She buys this huge raw chicken saying she wanted to roast it - Fair enough.

We get home from the markets, I go to work. I get back from work late in the evening to see her get home at the same time. She was out all day in the boiling heat with the darn raw chicken in her backpack.. She forgot to take it out.

So by now its really late - what does she do? I come downstairs in the morning to see it resting on the kitchen bench, where it had been cooling it's heels all night!!

By now the thing is starting to scare me - the weather was really warm too. The crazy thing was, she still cooked it in the evening!!! AND she kept insisting I have a piece!!
She seemed really offened that I wouldnt eat it...

It sat in the fridge for two weeks - I pretended to eat some by ripping of a piece with disposable gloves on and hiding it in the trash! After two weeks I flipped and told her it had to go...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sister in law once wanted a chinchilla coat. Her husband bought her 2 chinchillas (pets) instead. Of course her desire for the coat left her immediately.

They had babies which grew up to be adults. One of them died suddenly and they wanted to bring it to a vet for an autopsy (as they were worried it had a disease that would spread). She couldn't get her up there right away so she put her in a box in her freezer, where with my SIL's busy life, she sat for a few years.

I lived with them for a few months and one time opened up the freezer looking for something to make for dinner. I pulled out the box containing the chinchilla and my SIL *screamed* not to open it.

I'm glad I didn't.

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I lived with them for a few months and one time opened up the freezer looking for something to make for dinner. I pulled out the box containing the chinchilla and my SIL *screamed* not to open it.

I'm glad I didn't.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see - - - I can't top Emma's (can anyone????) but:

Liquid lettuce, and a bottle of Ranch dressing dated Nov 2002. This was in June.

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once forgot about an open quart of buttermilk in the fridge. I took one whiff of it and nearly passed out! When I dumped it into the sink, it had the consitancy of yougurt and had green streaks of mold.
We also found some moldy bratwursts. Yuck!

adriane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off:

about a week later i went back under and took a huge sip of the orange juice, i felt something furry slide down my throat, when i took the lid off the jug i realised the top of the juice was covered in green fuzz i still remember how it felt
I nearly barfed on reading that!!

Lets see .. (now I dont feel so bad about the state of my own fridge) currently, I think that we have 2 (!) jars of pasta sauce that are half full of some kind of fuzzy globe-ish yuck.

Ive found oooold defrosted hamburger. *gag*
The liquid lettuce thing. Ew.
The 'mystery bucket' tupper ware that I couldnt reconize.
Tea does mighty strange things when left in the sun.
My sons sippy cups that have been lost for ages - milk, when left in a sippy, goes through several stages. Curtled up. Soft, but chunky. One solid piece of ew. And .. back to the most foul liquid. Odd.
Bait. My hubby's fishing bait gone bad. Heeeuuuuuugh.
And, I think my brain has blocked the most powerful one, because I distinctly remember throwing up .. but for the life of me, I cant remember what it was that I had found!

(As gross as it is, Im kinda lovin this topic!)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once, I found a container that was empty, except for a few bits of remaining fuzz. My younger brother exclaimed, "It consumed itself!" and we laugh about that ever since.

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

My ex boyfriend. Half in it, half out of it, naked apart from a pair of red wellington boots, claiming to be God and licking some week-old coleslaw off the inside of the fridge door. I'm not sure what was worse... the furry colseslaw or the ex. Probably the ex.
Now THAT is a visual that truly is from the other side of reality!

The grossest fridge thing is when you clean it, take the bottom drawer & vegetable bins out...that nasty water that puddles under there with God knows what else-it's all I can do to clean it up & not barf.