What's the deal with Greyhounds?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Greyhounds can be trained like any other dogs. Every greyhound adoption group stresses a fenced yard and to never let them off their leash. Once I took mine thru obedience training and got them to come when I called them everytime without fail, we lost the leash and didn't have a fenced yard. We have 10 acres of land, and mowed a race track out back for them to run on.

It was a glorious thing to watch them run around full tilt in our yard. The funny thing about them - they always had the need to run full out after a good poop.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katherine, after reading your description of greyhounds, I've decided that is more than likely the kind I want! I especially like that they don't have the typical doggy smell

Do you know if those little Italian greyhounds are similar to regular greyhounds? B/c I know Bradley's favorite breed is the Italian greyound...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex-husband's aunt had a bad experience with an adopted greyhound. He was so used to chasing anything furry that it would track down and kill all the animals in the yard like squirrels,rabbits, nieghborhood cats that would stray into her yard and if I remember correctly, it severly hurt one of her own cats an several occasions... so be careful.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Katherine, after reading your description of greyhounds, I've decided that is more than likely the kind I want! I especially like that they don't have the typical doggy smell

Do you know if those little Italian greyhounds are similar to regular greyhounds? B/c I know Bradley's favorite breed is the Italian greyound...
I don't know as much about italian greyhounds but they do have the same kind of coat as a full sized. The same goes for whippets. They're all jsut so cute.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With greyhounds they are usually socialized fine. You have to put tape or post-it nots on the windows so they know that something's there or they will try to run through the glass. You have to introduce them to stairs b/c they don't know what they are. And they think they are lap dogs! haha. They are really great dogs. I just don't like that they are so skinny... but they are good dogs.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

For the most part, greyhounds are couch potatoes. They have to be forced out for walks. Given their druthers, they'd loll about the house, all day long.

They cannot be walked, without a leash, however - they will chase anything that moves and you'll never catch them. On my way to work, each morning, I see a woman walking five of them and they just all mosey along.

Check online for a Greyhound Rescue, in your area.

Oh, if only Ruby were like that!

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Since my cats are small furry things that run, I would not leave a greyhound alone with them. But I have known several people who adopted them, and had great luck. But I read one account on-line of someone with one greyhound and one other dog. Both dogs were fine with the cats, but one day one of the cats was killed by the dogs. They think it started with a game of chase, and the greyhound just got carried away and killed its feline friend.

That said, I have an akita that I leave alone with my cats. But I would never leave 2 dogs loose with my cats, since hearing the above story.
i agree with not leaving your cat with two dogs, it's almost like a pack mentality starts, i was babysitting a friends dog max once, he's a lab cross rotweiler and he's the sweetest dog, he's been friends with nass since she was a pup but nass is a pure cross, half irish wolfhound and half english pointer and max has lab which is also a hunting dog, when nass is alone with the cats she's fine, she even sleeps with pandy and they have been best friends from the moment nass arrived at our place.

but that time i was babysitting max, pandy accidently got out of the room and max and nass were both in the house, she's not scared of dogs at all and she's tiny, she went straight up to max and kissed him on the nose but he was in a very playful mood and he chased her which caused nass to join the chase too, pandy ended up being cornered and looked quiet scared, i picked her up and took her back to my room.

they may not have hurt her at all but i love her way to much to take a risk like that.

with greyhounds, i think they are lovely dogs but i'm totally against greyhound racing, they breed thousands of greyhounds to only get a few who will be good at racing and once they get older they are usually killed.

i saw a story once about greyhounds and they people who bred them had this special train track where they would take the unwanted greyhounds to be tyed up and run over by a train.

i also saw hundreds of them cramped together in a truck on their way to be killed because they weren't needed anymore, i'll never forget the look on their faces, people who do stuff like that discust me and i won't even start on what i think about them

felicia