What's the deal with cats and sheepskin?

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kittens are scared to death. They walk all around it when it is on the floor and put there paw on it lightly and get scared again. My dad's cat loved it. SHe has her own little rug from IKEA. Maybe when the kittens get older they will like it.

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The furry feeling of it probably, keeps them warm and cozy, just like mommy maybe. Give them a warm fuzzy feeling. Same reason we humans like cuddling up to our soft little feline friends, they are soft and cuddly.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went out and bought a sheepskin rug from Ikea specifically for the cats, so of course, being cats, they refuse to use it.
Pushkin is afraid of anything soft and will walk around it! It turned out to be quite useful though, 'cos now I use it to keep the cats off my leather chair.

vlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a black sheepskip rug from Ikea that my boy cat sleeps on, I wonder if it is causing him his medical problem. He is now stage 3 CKD (renal failure), but his blood analysis numbers are not bad enough (per the vet) to cause his loss of muscle mass, lethargy, vomit...etc.. He eats well, but is still losing weight. I wonder if is condition his due to factors other than CKD.

He recently poo'ed on the rug, when I washed it  the water was all dark brown. That makes me wonder if there is toxin in the dye - when he sleeps on it and washes himself, wool from the rug would be on his fur and would therefore be ingested.

I have no proof, but it is possible. So please consider this before using sheepskin rug for your pets.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi vlee, and welcome to TCS

This thread is 9 years old so the original questioner is probably not around to read your post.  It's an interesting thought, though.  My cats have always loved sheepskins and I have them all over the place... I haven't felt they may be a health hazard.

I'm sorry your boy is ill.

catdaddy007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have a black sheepskip rug from Ikea that my boy cat sleeps on, I wonder if it is causing him his medical problem. He is now stage 3 CKD (renal failure), but his blood analysis numbers are not bad enough (per the vet) to cause his loss of muscle mass, lethargy, vomit...etc.. He eats well, but is still losing weight. I wonder if is condition his due to factors other than CKD.

He recently poo'ed on the rug, when I washed it  the water was all dark brown. That makes me wonder if there is toxin in the dye - when he sleeps on it and washes himself, wool from the rug would be on his fur and would therefore be ingested.

I have no proof, but it is possible. So please consider this before using sheepskin rug for your pets.
Interesting- Did you find out anything further? I see this thread is two years old so I hope your kitty was ok?!?!

I'm answering this because my 2-year old female Siamese recently was diagnosed with severe anemia. She had to get two blood transfusions and is currently on steroids to suppress her immune system, hoping that her red blood cell count can recover. She is seeing the best speciality vet in Vancouver, and we have no idea why this happened- no markers for infection or any diseases, no exposure to toxins that I know of. She has a twin sister who is totally fine. They never go outside, so no parasites or accidental poisons etc; they eat the same food and do the same things except for one behavioural difference- the one with anemia wakes me up every morning by crawling under the covers and 'making bread' (kneading) against my legs while purring, and she'll spend about a half hour under there (it's GREAT!). I have a sheepskin pad under my sheets; very comfortable and helps regulate temperature. So she is under the covers with her nose against it every day for an extended period. She has stopped doing this since she got sick (no longer plays either as anemia has made her weak)  and I never even thought about sheepskin before. I was going through my whole house thinking about cleaning products or other possible toxins. For some reason I thought of her behaviour under the covers and typed 'sheepskin cats' into Google, and this page came up.

Any thoughts from anyone? 

As an aside, I brought them home a small sheepskin rug from Ikea to lay in front of the fire- they started to pull the fuzz off and eat it! So I got rid of it.

Last edited: