What's the best way to hydrate my cat?

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know the answers to your questions but you might ask your vet if there is something you can give Benny to calm his stomach if all his tests are normal. I have friends that have been told by thier Vets to give Pepcid AC to thier cats, some people on TCS also do this and it seems to help. You may want to ask your vet about it. Another thing that may help is Slippery Elm powder, if your Vet is not into natural remedies you may want to research Slippery Elm also. My cats had it for 2 years, it soothes the GI track and there are recipes out there from holistic vets, I gave mine in a syringe. Dr. Pitcarin and also Dr. Don Hamilton, both are Vets, have information in their books about Slippery Elm. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilprescan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey thanks for the tip. I will check out Slippery Elm. Benny seems to be doing a bit better this week. Haven't seen him throw up lately, maybe it was just a bug.....but I will check out that product.
Thanks again!

dizziny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Does Benny go outside at all?
aprilprescan said - Yes he does. He stays on our porch though and usually there are no other cats around. Since his FeLV diagnosis, he usually stays inside.

An FeLV positive cat should not be outside.

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is nothing to be afraid about administering the sub-q fluids at home if they are needed. They are by far the best way to hydrate and make a sick cat more comfortable at home.  At least have the vet or vet tech show you how they do it next time before deciding.   You will be amazed at how simple it really is and what a difference it makes in your cat's quality of life.  And if you warm up the fluid bag in warm water, most kitties will find the experience pleasurable.  You will get used to getting it started without the cat ever feeling the needle with practice. 

Please do not let a FeLV+ cat outside ever.  The reason I first learned how to do sub-q fluids was taking care of a FeLV+ stray. It was heartbreaking and could have been prevented