Whats the best way to give your cat a bath?

gkrisstin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give my cat a bath about 2-3 times a month. Which i usually just do what the vet says an just dunk his body in and out a couple of times. But i was wondering if theres a easier way for him because i know he diesnt like it. Which im sure most cats dont.lol. I just want him to be comfortable. Any suggestions.

thecatfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So first you should run the water before you put him in make sure its semi warm dont put his head in completely.  that stresses the cat out. You should rub his back slowly it calms his nerves and relaxes him you can even put a towel on his head so he doesnt see the water or anything that will set his nerves. 

goodluckkk! xo hope this helps. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give my cat a bath about 2-3 times a month. Which i usually just do what the vet says an just dunk his body in and out a couple of times. But i was wondering if theres a easier way for him because i know he diesnt like it. Which im sure most cats dont.lol. I just want him to be comfortable. Any suggestions.
I find that the best way is to take them into the stall shower. I tried the bathtub. it was a disaster. 

I always get everything ready before I bring them in.

I put clothes on that I know will get soaking wet.

I take anything unnecessary out of the shower. 

There is a small seat in the shower. I put a damp towel on it to keep their feet from slipping.

I turn the shower head on and get the water so it's nice and warm but not hot

I make sure their shampoo and conditioner are in there

I get a very large bath towel ready for when they come out. 

I go get them. One at a time of course. Once they are in, I put them on the little seat and the door gets closed. They cannot get out. they know it. They meow very pitifully the entire time but don't fight me. I try to get done as quickly as I can getting them washed and conditioned. Both cat safe products of course 

Once they are all clean and conditioned, I wrap them up like little kitty burritos in the big towels. I try to dry them as much as I can with the towels but if they are still wet, I use the hair dryer on the cool setting. They hate this so this is kept to a minimum as well. 

Once they are done and ready to be released back into the house, they get hugs, kisses, lots of praise and treats. Then (after I change my wet clothes for dry ones), I spend the rest of the evening apologizing as they glare at me. 

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unless he's an outdoor cat and obviously dirty I wouldn't worry much about cat baths. They do a good job cleaning themselves. As a matter of fact growing up we had an indoor/outdoor cat, she never received a bath from us, was clean and lived to 19 years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gkrisstin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I'll try it out an let u knw how he does. @red dog he does like to go outside but I still like to give him a bath occasionally.but your right about him keeping his self clean. He's always grooming his self

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be careful about not over doing it. Cats don't naturally wash themselves in streams etc often. I'd be wary of ear, URI, dry skin/rash etc. Good luck.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The easier ones I stick in the tub. Put a towel down so they have something to stand on and not slip, fill it up a few inches, and use a cup to scoop water and pour over them. The feistier ones I put in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer  because I can scruff them with one hand and rinse/scrub with the other. 

Though they rarely get baths, I only do maybe 2 or 3 a year for all of my cats, and only if they get really gross. Like one accidentally fell into her own pee- that's when we get a bath. Yours probably doesn't need 2-3 a month. It can dry out their fur and skin.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know your cat's circumstances but 2-3 times a month is ALLOT of baths for a Cat in a month. Assuming skin medical issue? There is always a level stress involved.  Mine are indoor mostly unless walking on leash. I try hard to wash every 2-3 months (once a month when kittens) just want to be on top of things...*trimming claws prior to bath depending on kitty.

Inexpensive to buy a bath mats @ dollar store. Plastic drinking cup to pour water. Toys to float. It's so much easier when they feel secure. If you play games prior to bathing with laser pointer in bath so you're used to hanging out in the tub when dry helps. Making the washroom bath experience positive, nice. Then they don't assume they always get a bath when you bring them into the washroom. Fill the tub around 10 inches sitting on edge of tub wash the cats face with some water introducing them slowly gently I take plastic Xmas balls toss a couple in tub floating toys help distract them like kids 
  Work quickly soap suds rinse doing nothing stressful to upset them, let the water drain while they're in the tub squeezing water out of their coat. I turn the tap on for final fresh water warm rinse if they're ok with tap on... then they experience empty tub again where we played days before...I blow dry some cats just because I know them well, especially senior Bo it's just to make sure he's all dry if not he takes hours to dry. 

Hope this helps..

Last edited: