What's the best dry food for kittens?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, plus the one where I highlight in red the ingredients I would choose to NOT feed, which though from two other brands in comparsion to the Royal Canin, you can look at what I highlighted, and see that Eukanuba contains at least one if not more, of the red highlighted ingredients.

It doesn't have to be confusing, my wishes for when I shop are simple...no by-products, no by-product meal, no animal or poutlry digest, no use of corn gluten meal as the first ingredient (this is actually a protein source) and I'd prefer to not see it at all though I can live with using it, no sugars, no soy flour or soy protein concentrate, no wheat, no corn - cracked, as grits, whole or ground, no bha/bht, no artificial flavors, no colorings, no use of 3-4 grains in one food.

I want to see real meat (or meat meal) or chicken or if I choose, fish, without a glut of veggies. No garlic please

That's my exclusion list.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your food? The town I'm in only has a Petco,and walmart, and from what I could find, neither of these carries any food that would match that description! (The downside in going to school at such a small place).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your food? The town I'm in only has a Petco,and walmart, and from what I could find, neither of these carries any food that would match that description! (The downside in going to school at such a small place).
Nutros Natural choice follows all of those and is avail at petco

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

Hi, both my local Petco and Petsmart carry the Nutro brand (it's Max cat and the line I prefer, the Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care line) and the Royal Canin brand.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ginger's Mum

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful for me, she had a bumpy start and I want to give her the best I can. She has quite happily eaten Iams and Royal Canin KIitten 34 before but haven't tried the Eukanuba yet.

So, are you saying that Royal Canin is better than Eukanuba? This isn't because this site is sponsered by them is it?
No, really, I trust your oipinion

Ginger is over 5 months old now and is pretty flexible about what dry food she eats.
For wet food she seems to have settled on the Science Diet Kitten Range alternated with Kal Kan (Masterfoods) Kitten range. She only eats a tablespoon or two a day of wet food, seems to prefer the dry. Which is weird considering the trouble I had getting her to eat at all.
Not a large Kitten wet food range available here.

Keep your opinions coming please, I have to decide tonight what brand to buy tomorrow.
Oh for goodness sake! LOL! I wouldn't care who sponsered it I'll always give my honest opinion and Royal Canin Babycat is the best. We have had poor results on Iams Kitten

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ginger's Mum

Well, I did it. I went out and bought a big 2kg bag of Royal Canin Kitten 34 for my baby. She loves the stuff, prefers it over wet food most of the time.
That ought to keep her happy for a couple of months

Thanks everyone
Awesome!

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky and Pat & Alex,

Thanks for the info. I guess I wasnt looking close enought at all the labels. I do remember seeing the Nutro, but was thinking there was something in the ingredients that was in the bad. So sorry about the confusion, and thanks again!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I don't know why you feel these two are better, but here is why I disagree with you.

Eagle Pack Kitten:"Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract), Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken (organic), Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Poultry Liver Digest, Wheat Germ Meal, Dried Egg Product, Pork Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Tomato Pomace..."

Avoderm Kitten and Adult:"Chicken Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Wheat, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Herring Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Avocado Oil, Corn Germ Meal, Dried Whole Cheese.."

Royal Canin Babycat 34: "Chicken meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), chicken, corn gluten meal, rice flour, beet pulp, corn flour, chicken flavor, chicken liver, pea fiber, fish oil, canola oil, brewers yeast.."

I'll take the food with the less red highlighted ingredients
For the Eagle Pack, it's not the greatest food, but the Holistic formula is worth feeding. You just can't compare any of the other formulas with the Holistic. Now, I'm not sure if you can feed it to a kitten yet, but it's fine to eat later on when the kitty is older.

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Meal, Chicken, Lamb, Oatmeal, Menhaden Oil, Flaxseed, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Brewers Dried Yeast, Chicken Liver Meal, Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Air Dried Peas, Carrots, Cheese Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Dried Blueberries, Dehydrated Apples, Sweet Potato, Taurine, Dehydrated Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dandelion (organic), Dried Cranberries, Inulin, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, dl-Methionine, Inositol, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.