Votes: 4 40.0%
  • raw.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I may be misunderstanding your post so can you clarify: are you shocked that those working in the food service industry, responsible for cooking meat etc for public consumption, are required to be educated about proper meat handling to avoid cross-contamination, and prove that knowledge by getting a food handler's permit?

And how willing would a parent be to teach their kids about raw meat if they don't want them doing it in the first place?  I agree with you that so many skills are not being taught these days (when both parents work, who has the time?).  I hate the gub'ment too.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I may be misunderstanding your post so can you clarify: are you shocked that those working in the food service industry, responsible for cooking meat etc for public consumption, are required to be educated about proper meat handling to avoid cross-contamination, and prove that knowledge by getting a food handler's permit?

And how willing would a parent be to teach their kids about raw meat if they don't want them doing it in the first place?  I agree with you that so many skills are not being taught these days (when both parents work, who has the time?).  I hate the gub'ment too.
No, I am all for that..... in the food service.
For a kid at home....... IMHO this is way too much and should be left to the parents.

Look, the truth is, I think there is way too much ado for not too much - that's what I really think.
I remember when I first started feeding raw - and I seriously can't remember when I started handling meat in my house, cooking dinner, etc - I was a kid - not a teen..... a KID - a CHILD. Like 6, 7 maybe?

I only became absolutely paranoid about raw meats when I started feeding RAW. Never, EVER before Was I paranoid - and never, EVER was I sick from handling meat.
There is SO much paranoia and bad propaganda about raw feeding, it just gets inside your mind.

But what we forget is, that is only..... MEAT!
The same meat your mommy taught you how to cook with. The same meat is cut for dinner in the kitchen. The same meat anyone would eat. The same, perfectly healthy, USDA approved meat - nothing less, nothing more.
Not a poison, not toxic waste.... Meat - food - meat.
To tell you the truth, I don't even like the term "Safe Handling" - I think that should be used for harmful things - a gun, a bomb, poison.....

I like proper handling or preparation better......
So..... Just keep the areas you serve clean, clean up after you feed, wash your hands, keep the meat nice and fresh, know how long the meat lasts in the fridge and how to store it, know how long the meat can stay out on the kitty's plate, etc. As far as raw feeding goes, you can learn more here at TCS than in one of those courses anyways - I guarantee you they will not teach her about Taurine oxidation i.e.

By the way, the only food poison I got in my life was from mayonnaise, at Subway, a somewhat respected chain restaurant.
No where close from being from raw meat.

Last edited:

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I am all for that..... in the food service.
For a kid at home....... IMHO this is way too much and should be left to the parents.

The same meat your mommy taught you how to cook with.

OK, now I see the problem.  You could not possibly know this, but I was raised in a vegan/vegetarian family - I am a meat eater currently.  That's why the image in YOUR head of "...your mommy taught you how to cook with [meat]." exists for you.  My mother?  Teaching me to cook?

HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Not only did HER mother not teach her to cook, she sure did not teach me.  Even if she did - they were vegetarians. So, I did not HAVE a mommy that taught me to cook meat - and I know I am not the only one.  So the possibility that the OP's mom would not teach her to cook meat is a very real possibility, because of MY childhood - much like your childhood informed your response.  My god, if I had asked my Mom to teach me to handle raw meat when I was 17?

You are very lucky - you realize this, right - to have a mom that teaches you the ways of cooking?  Others - not so much. 

The OP's parent was resistant.  I thought this could be a pursuasive tool to get her to change her mind - "see, look mom, I can grasp the concepts so well I can now get PAID to handle food for strangers - this means I can handle raw meat at home safely."

Overkill?  Maybe.  But - sounds like the OP really want to "win" this - so I thought I'd give her some ammunition that might help. 

I am sorry to have gotten you riled up.   I am new here - I see its a pretty sensitive, easily worked up group.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  OK, now I see the problem.  You could not possibly know this, but I was raised in a vegan/vegetarian family - I am a meat eater currently.  That's why the image in YOUR head of "...your mommy taught you how to cook with [meat]." exists for you.  My mother?  Teaching me to cook?

HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Not only did HER mother not teach her to cook, she sure did not teach me.  Even if she did - they were vegetarians. So, I did not HAVE a mommy that taught me to cook meat - and I know I am not the only one.  So the possibility that the OP's mom would not teach her to cook meat is a very real possibility, because of MY childhood - much like your childhood informed your response.  My god, if I had asked my Mom to teach me to handle raw meat when I was 17?

You are very lucky - you realize this, right - to have a mom that teaches you the ways of cooking?  Others - not so much. 

The OP's parent was resistant.  I thought this could be a pursuasive tool to get her to change her mind - "see, look mom, I can grasp the concepts so well I can now get PAID to handle food for strangers - this means I can handle raw meat at home safely."

Overkill?  Maybe.  But - sounds like the OP really want to "win" this - so I thought I'd give her some ammunition that might help. 

I am sorry to have gotten you riled up.   I am new here - I see its a pretty sensitive, easily worked up group.
Ok....... Nooooow I see your point too - nice to meet you :lol3:
Nah, you didn't get me all riled up..... Trust me..... I was SO paranoid when I started feeding raw, I woke up one day with my arms sore from having them standing up in the air - was dreaming that I JUST COULDN'T TOUCH ANYTHING WITH RAW MEATY HANDS :flail:

It's literally all in the head..... It took me a while to remember that I was dealing with meat..... Just meat :nod:

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was SO paranoid when I started feeding raw, I woke up one day with my arms sore from having them standing up in the air - was dreaming that I JUST COULDN'T TOUCH ANYTHING WITH RAW MEATY HANDS

It's literally all in the head..... It took me a while to remember that I was dealing with meat..... Just meat
Now THAT is funny!!!!

I think its easy to get that way with things we can't see - like microscopic germs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!

Just an update my mom did agree to help me and look into raw/homemade. She said she has to do some research and that we wouldn't start  on it, but transition to it if she decides it is ok.

I am glad I at least got her to look into it. 

-Darcy

cocodrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would have been nice if she had given some examples of brands like she did with the Vet recommended. I've never heard of human grade. 
 I think my two foods would fall in the super premium canned food maybe.