Whats The average cost for a vet checkup?

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has never been to the Vet And shes about 5-6 months old i feel she needs her shots,a checkup,and posibbly to be spayed soon.What is about the average cost for each of the so i know how much to save up?

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm from australia. It cost me about $95. But every vet varies in price. Mine was already spayed. Not sure about that one.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm from australia. It cost me about $95. But every vet varies in price. Mine was already spayed. Not sure about that one.
im From USA i REALLY hope its cheaper here!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I paid $35 at one vet for a minimal check-up and $45 at another, much better vet for a thorough check up. The extra $10 was money well spent.    If there is a VCA animal clinic near you, you can get a free first exam  though.http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer We've have members who have had good experiences with them.

As for the shots, I paid $36 for a rabies shot but it is possible to get these at low cost clinics, often run by the county.  You can probably look on your county's website or call a local shelter or rescue and ask if they know.

My female cats were already spayed but you can also get low cost spaying through local humane societies.  Check out the site at the HSUS - you can enter your zip code and get a list of low cost spay/neuter clinics near you.  http://www.humanesociety.org/issues...afford_spay_neuter.html?credit=web_id91754962   

And finally, since finances are an issue (and aren't they always!!!)  check out the following article for some ideas and funds:

[article="32915"]No Money For Vet Care How To Find Help And Save Your Cats Life  [/article]

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cost varies in the US. Location, whether you live in a big city or rural area, if you use a small vet office or a sull service hospital, etc. You can call around to vets in your area and ask how much a basic check up costs.

Low cost vet clinics cost less than a regular office or hospital. There may be some in your area.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a vet check is $44 at my vet. But with a kitten expect a few hundred. I think my two were in the $250-300 range for microchip, various shots, blood work, fecal, deworming, etc. And that's not counting spay/neuter which is mid $200 at my vet.

If you have a rescue group or shelter you can check for lower cost options. My vet offers $10 off first exams, if I paired that with the clinic who offers discounted shots for about $50 and spay/neuter for $40 I could have done it for $124 for everything.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I paid $45 for a visit at my new vet. $39 on my old vet and my first ever vet was $48. I live in a rural country area with a population of less than 2,000.

I do my own vaccines. Except for rabies which is state regulated where I am.

Spaying was $300? But that was 10 years ago and a new thing were I am. I neutered a cat last year for as low as $65. Funny how things change.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was quoted 45 at the vet we're taking Tera to. I think our regular vet at the VCA is higher but she seldom charges for follow ups so she's actually cheaper.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A typical exam in my area is $35-$50. For standard shots and spaying, I'm a big proponent of low cost clinics! They're a really different environment from a vet's office, where you're paying for things like customer service and individual attention in addition to medical care. Low cost clinics are bare bones and efficient to keep costs low, but since spaying and neutering are such low-risk surgeries, there usually isn't a need for a lot of individualized care. Also, because they see so many animals a day, the staff is very good at what they do, and the vets doing the surgery are experienced and quick. If your cat has any health problems, it would be safer to have it done in a veterinary office, but most animals do just fine.

I would get her checkup and the vet first and make sure everything's in good shape, and then sign her up for a spay at a low cost place. Usually you can request they do the basic shots there, too. The price varies depending on location and how well the clinic is subsidized, but a cat spay is normally between 50-80. Just looking at an example clinic I know of, the prices for the rest of the services that you might want are microchip ($25), rabies vaccine ($10), distemper vaccine ($10), and FELV/FIV combo test ($25). Some places require you to get the rabies vaccine unless you can provide documentation that they've already had it.