What's So "yummy" About Royal Canin Wet?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So anyone who's read any of my posts, know how PICKY and stubborn Lily & Zoe are, and how I've been struggling to get them to eat more wet. For dinner, they usually eat pretty well the Whole Hearted Tuna varieties -very mushy,easy to lick up, but I don't like all that fish and all the time, I'm actually thinking they may be getting bored with it.
Anyway- They're not great at "eating" the Royal Canin wet food, but they lick up the juice good on Royal Canin, all the versions I've tried, adult, kitten, spayed/neutered, digestive support, the one that is little chunks/like little bitty squares, not a fan of slices in gravy. What is in it that they could possibly like that gravy so much? I'd get them more royal canin for breakfast, but its so expensive. Could it be the pork in it? I read the ingredients and thats the only thing that really stands out. Maybe I should look for other things with pork in it? Oh, and Lily took happily to her Royal Canin "prescription treats" the satiety support, which I switched to instead of her temptations, so there is something they both like in Royal Canin.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine will only eat Royal Canin meaty morsels in gravy. I phoned RC to ask what meat it was as mine is allergic to chicken, they didn't know. I found that very strange but whatever it is, it cant be chicken. It looks and smells much nicer than a lot of other foods and he devours the lot.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate RC with a passion but if that is all your babies will eat then that is great.
Same here. IMO there is nothing special about it to justify the elevated price and my girls refused to touch it. There are other foods out there that are better. If that's what they want, though, then give it to them.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 indoor cats and several feeding outside, so I would not be able to afford RC. I am tempted to buy some and see how it goes with my cats, though. My only fear is if they liked it and then afterwards will not touch the other wet brands I have been feeding them anymore. This brand is quite expensive, and I wonder why. Good that your cats like it.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're not great at "eating" the Royal Canin wet food, but they lick up the juice good on Royal Canin, all the versions I've tried
Hima is the same. She doesn't eat chunky wet foods but she licks off the gravy of Royal Canin. It's possible it's not so much the ingredients but how they cook it. I think it has to be also ingredients though. None of the Royal Canin foods I have tried worked well for Hima with her food sensitivities, but she loved every single one of them way too much. THE only other thing she gets just as excited is freshly boiled chicken and that's only when she gets a bit rarely.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Here is a review on RC canned foods - maybe that will help determine what is in them that your cats find so appealing. I do think it could be the pork-by-products.

Royal Canin Wet Cat Food Review In 2019

Have you checked out the chart under this forum (see link below) - it lists a number of canned food that contain pork in some form. Maybe you could try some of them and see what happens? At first, just mix a bit of one of them with mostly the RC they will eat, then you can reduce the RC and add more of the other over time.

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because RC has a great marketing team and they know how to cater to what unknowing pet owners want. Breed specific dry foods for cats ALONE makes me completely discredit them. What a scam. So many better, quality foods out there.
Agreed. I hate walking into a vet's office and see their food displayed there. People automatically assume it's good food and it just isn't. Their breed specific foods drive me nuts. This one just makes me :rolleyes2:.

upload_2019-10-6_0-5-39.png

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate walking into a vet's office and see their food displayed there. People automatically assume it's good food and it just isn't.
Breed specific dry foods for cats ALONE makes me completely discredit them.
And here I was sometimes feeling guilty that I could not be able to afford my pets this brand. Now I feel relieved.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately I dont think I have a choice at the moment. My cat has stress related UTI (possibly, I am not totally convinced at this stage )and was put on prescription food. In the past I failed to find a wet food he likes other than licking the gravy and believe me I tried, he ate a good quality dry food mostly. Personally I think the dry food contributed to this problem. He devours the RC urinary meaty morsals and the last scan showed significant improvement. Once he is clear I wanted to feed a good wet food only but have two stumbling blocks, the UK where I live doesnt have such a wide choice plus he is allergic to chicken. If I fail to find a wet food he will eat, I have no choice but to feed him RC.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I'm not a fan RC's ingredients, I've looked it over several times, and not a fan of the gluten, and all that crap! But..they like it. Silly girls. And I'm so desperate to get them eating more wet, for hydration, and for Lily, to help tide her over so she's not so obssessed with her treats and dry food. So maybe I'll add some RC to their rotation, even if they don't eat the morsels. Just the price, nearly 2 dollars for a small can!? And hmm, I will look into Tiki cat after dark, they are pretty good with stuff they can just lap up *if* they like the flavor. Then I researched Primal, they have a pork flavor, maybe I'll see if i can get a sample at the store, not sure if they still do samples, its been awhile since I've tried primal. I tried it maybe 2-3 years ago, with turkey, Lily only liked it dry, Zoe was a kitten and ate everything at the time, but maybe this time Lily will take it hydrated.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the cat food is in gravy, add a little water and mash it all together, they might eat the meat then.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And hmm, I will look into Tiki cat after dark, they are pretty good with stuff they can just lap up *if* they like the flavor.
You can always add a little water to it to make it soupy/gravy like. My cat will lick it a bit, but then I add some water to it and stir it around, then when I get home from work in the evening she has eaten it all.