What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele has been complaining about the downstairs bathroom, and how cold it is in there. Since we have relatively mild weather forecast for the next several days, I decided to pull off the drywall and see what was what. I should have known better. There is insulation- after a fashion- but it is wholly inadequate. There is no vapor barrier, so the wind can blow right through any crack at all, plus any moisture can soak what insulation there is, rendering it useless. On top of that, all of the studs are of different spacings, and none are plumb. Oh joy. I'm getting too old for this kind of thing.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you remember the 60s/70s Wang calculators? Those things could compute to 12 figures, but like the phones of the times, they were tethered to the central unit, and were the size of one of those office desk phones. There were (I think) eight of them kept in a small room off of a corridor in the Science building. In a pinch, however, I could always break out my slide rule- my first cordless device.
I can't recall those, but, I do recall needing a Texas Instrument calculator and my Mom not being able to believe that a calculator could cost that much!!
I also recall being smashed in the face with dodgeballs, tether balls, trying to swing up and over the entire swing set (never was able to do that), and us kids sitting on the merry go-round while other kids pushed it to top speed then being ordered to jump. I can't believe we survived some of the stuff we used to do.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is working on his Bachelors of Science right now. He wants to go into Zoology with an emphasis on preservation/conservation probably as a Herpatologist. He still has a year left to decide specifics before his Masters. He has already been offered a Research something or another thingy where he gets paid (something like 40k a year) along with a full scholarship all while he goes for his Masters. But he has to wait until he finishes his BS to do that. Right now he's got a full scholarship for his BS with a 3.96GPA. Had a 4.0 until Calc.
My youngest is also studying Zoology. Small world!!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't recall those, but, I do recall needing a Texas Instrument calculator and my Mom not being able to believe that a calculator could cost that much!!
I also recall being smashed in the face with dodgeballs, tether balls, trying to swing up and over the entire swing set (never was able to do that), and us kids sitting on the merry go-round while other kids pushed it to top speed then being ordered to jump. I can't believe we survived some of the stuff we used to do.
Yeah; while we might have gotten slightly dented now and again, we survived. We even survived playing with Jarts! Oh, the horror! Funny thing about calculators; as expensive as they were at first, one Christmas a parts supplier gave out credit card-sized calculators to all his customers, so cheap they had gotten. It was just as one of my Chem professors had predicted: save your money, and in a few years they will be a lot cheaper. Sure enough, they were.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah; while we might have gotten slightly dented now and again, we survived. We even survived playing with Jarts! Oh, the horror! Funny thing about calculators; as expensive as they were at first, one Christmas a parts supplier gave out credit card-sized calculators to all his customers, so cheap they had gotten. It was just as one of my Chem professors had predicted: save your money, and in a few years they will be a lot cheaper. Sure enough, they were.
Isn't that the truth - when things first come out everyone wants it and they spend absurd amount of money to get the latest,the greatest,the newist- for goodness sakes if you just wait a year or 2 it's on the shelves for pennies because of the NEWER- right?

I remember my friends asking " when are you going to get a flat screen TV! Gee,I had a huge(& slim too) rear projection Toshiba that was bigger than my 65" Samsung flat screen is - I also had a great big Console TV with a million pixels ,lol

They all went out & spent $3,500-$5000 dollars on flat screens ( not very big either).... I got my first one on a black Friday sale for under $400 bucks- so I bought it for the living room and 2 others for the bedrooms slightly smaller ,$200 each.... A little patience goes a long way

Your professor was right!My Dad used to say it all the time although he bought my Mom and I whatever just came onto the scene but he taught me well when I started out making purchases as I could not afford what he could and to live the lifestyle he provided for us.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had forgotten all about those teeny calculators, the buttons were so tiny but they did the trick.
I have no need nor desire to buy the latest thing, I don't care for having the newest technology when the old stuff still works. We aren't even computerized at work, it's all pen and paper still. (We tried a computer software program and it was more of a headache than a help. Plus, if the power goes out, I can still do desk work!)
During the Covid lock down, my phone took a gigantic crap and I had to get a new one. It was originally bought in 2013. Every single worker in the store wanted to see the "dinosaur" phone 🤣 They were very surprised it had lasted for 7 years.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had forgotten all about those teeny calculators, the buttons were so tiny but they did the trick.
I have no need nor desire to buy the latest thing, I don't care for having the newest technology when the old stuff still works. We aren't even computerized at work, it's all pen and paper still. (We tried a computer software program and it was more of a headache than a help. Plus, if the power goes out, I can still do desk work!)
During the Covid lock down, my phone took a gigantic crap and I had to get a new one. It was originally bought in 2013. Every single worker in the store wanted to see the "dinosaur" phone 🤣 They were very surprised it had lasted for 7 years.
I carried a flip phone, purchased for $20 at Radio Shack (remember them?) for years. The only reason that I got rid of it was the operating system was phased out when 5G was phased in, so it wouldn't work anymore. More's the pity, methinks.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele has been complaining about the downstairs bathroom, and how cold it is in there. Since we have relatively mild weather forecast for the next several days, I decided to pull off the drywall and see what was what. I should have known better. There is insulation- after a fashion- but it is wholly inadequate. There is no vapor barrier, so the wind can blow right through any crack at all, plus any moisture can soak what insulation there is, rendering it useless. On top of that, all of the studs are of different spacings, and none are plumb. Oh joy. I'm getting too old for this kind of thing.
Just think how happy you’ll be when it

Will you have to replace with the itchy pink insulation, o joy? I hate that stuff. How cold is the floor? (I only ask b/c my kitchen is ripped up, and they’re gonna put in radiant heat— great for kitties AND humans! But that’s a topic for another day). Just keep thinking how nice it will be when it’s DONE.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found one of those tiny calculators in my things last year when my parents were cleaning out their house to move. :lol:

We visited an aviation museum today and one exhibit had the operator station from the airstrips phone system. It had a rotary dial on it as well as those cables you plugged in to connect calls. I was a little proud DD knew how to operate the rotary part. She was surprised to learn I grew up using them! :lol: I told her all about the satisfaction of slamming a phone down after a call. She was very amused. :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found one of those tiny calculators in my things last year when my parents were cleaning out their house to move. :lol:

We visited an aviation museum today and one exhibit had the operator station from the airstrips phone system. It had a rotary dial on it as well as those cables you plugged in to connect calls. I was a little proud DD knew how to operate the rotary part. She was surprised to learn I grew up using them! :lol: I told her all about the satisfaction of slamming a phone down after a call. She was very amused. :lol:
If you are interested in aviation history, or just aviation in general, and if you have the time, might I suggest the Glenn Curtiss museum, located in Hammondsport, NY, in the Finger Lakes region. And yes, he was the Curtiss part of Curtiss- Wright, the company that built the P40 of WWII fame. Michele and I were there several years ago, on our way back from a farm and craft market just south of Penn Yan.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are interested in aviation history, or just aviation in general, and if you have the time, might I suggest the Glenn Curtiss museum, located in Hammondsport, NY, in the Finger Lakes region. And yes, he was the Curtiss part of Curtiss- Wright, the company that built the P40 of WWII fame. Michele and I were there several years ago, on our way back from a farm and craft market just south of Penn Yan.
Oo that’s only about 45 minutes from my aunt and uncle. My godson is extremely passionate about military aviation history so I’m going to look into that!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My godson is extremely passionate about military aviation history
That's wonderful! My dad was Army Air Corps, then in 1941, when the USAF was formed, switched over. LOL, he was also in the last class in Officer Candidate training to train as a mounted cavalry officer.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful! My dad was Army Air Corps, then in 1941, when the USAF was formed, switched over. LOL, he was also in the last class in Officer Candidate training to train as a mounted cavalry officer.
The older veterans he meets really love him. (They love that my bestie dresses vintage too. :lol:) He was carrying some kind of canteen at church on Easter. :lol: I’ve brought him home a couple medals i found in an antique store near my inlaws. It’s nice seeing that kind of thing appreciated ya know? Bestie does a great job helping her kids explore their passions like that.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well after looking at houses for sale and absurd prices we decided to put off moving for now. I finally got some more accurate quotes for building in our area and found some good contractors so we may end up going that route instead.

I considered modular homes because I appreciate the concept and potential benefits, but reading more I would rather just build it from the ground up to be sure of it’s long term value at least. Along with the fact that they’re not really “cheaper” than building a custom home.

I‘ve been debating if I want to do a DIY catio because I feel bad that YanYan doesn’t have outdoor access when she loves it so much, along with the lack of windows they can get to and XiaoXiao bulking up to the point he shoves her out :whistle: it seems like a waste spending on it when we don’t plan to stay though, but I guess our barn cat could use it at night after we build a new place.