What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so long ago, while I was outside working in the front flower beds, two youngish women stopped and started talking to me. They both had I.D. tags on those lanyards announcing they were with Social Services, specifically, the Office on the Aging, and they wanted to know if I was having trouble with anything. The inner me wanted to say "Only with nosy public employee drones with nothing better to do", but I just said no, it's all good. I still shovel the sidewalk and driveway if there's not enough snow to justify firing up the snow blower; I cut down trees with a chain saw when necessary; I do my own home repairs; even though I'm pushing 80, I'm still more active than some people I know who are years younger than me- some in my own family, in fact.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so long ago, while I was outside working in the front flower beds, two youngish women stopped and started talking to me. They both had I.D. tags on those lanyards announcing they were with Social Services, specifically, the Office on the Aging, and they wanted to know if I was having trouble with anything. The inner me wanted to say "Only with nosy public employee drones with nothing better to do", but I just said no, it's all good. I still shovel the sidewalk and driveway if there's not enough snow to justify firing up the snow blower; I cut down trees with a chain saw when necessary; I do my own home repairs; even though I'm pushing 80, I'm still more active than some people I know who are years younger than me- some in my own family, in fact.
Perhaps it's a cultural difference East Coast versus Midwest . Seeing anyone from City Government in the neighborhood is odd. They never show up unless called. I'm about 7 yrs your junior. I get strange looks frequently in the Spring,Summer & Fall when cleaning my cars and others in my driveway. Or tidying up my yard. My cleaning fascination with cars is a carryover from my Corpsman and Coast Guard days. I like clean, everything in its place and shiny. Living in a Condo, the Association has a Lawn and Snow Removal Service. So I'm off the hook for those jobs.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it's a cultural difference East Coast versus Midwest . Seeing anyone from City Government in the neighborhood is odd. They never show up unless called. I'm about 7 yrs your junior. I get strange looks frequently in the Spring,Summer & Fall when cleaning my cars and others in my driveway. Or tidying up my yard. My cleaning fascination with cars is a carryover from my Corpsman and Coast Guard days. I like clean, everything in its place and shiny. Living in a Condo the Association has a Lawn and Snow Removal Service. So I'm off the hook for those jobs.
Actually, I live in Western NY, which is closer to Midwestern than you might think. In fact, I'm about as far as a person can be from NYC and still be in the state

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My grandfather was about 82 when he hand laid a paver patio on his own. He always seemed like Superman to me. He stayed in his own home for about 10 years after that; but he knew when it was time to stop driving and keeping his big garden. And going to the basement to do his own laundry! Thankfully my aunt and a niece of his took over the grass and leaves while neighbors helped with the snow. I remember him helping other neighbors too. I wish I could get his advice on approaching FIL about this stuff. I was telling my dad last night how FIL is closer to my step grandfather in age than my parents since he was in his 40s when DH was born; while my parents were in their 20s.
OK, going through this for upkeep inside my home. Contact your Department of Human Services, and ask to speak with Adult Care. Someone there will either be able to help you, OR give you a referral to an outside agency. Here, I believe, it is "Senior Services." It is separate from the DHS, but they do work to refer people.
Thank you!! I’ll pass this along to SIL if DH or I don’t get far looking into it since she is local. I haven’t heard her mention contacting any agencies and that might take a lot of the load off her. I wonder if any local churches have ministries or connections. 🤔 I’m thinking she would have tried that route already.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got caught up on the thread and had to shiver at the retired military doctor conversation. Definitely agree that they should be treated far better whatever occupation they choose to go into. But there is a certain level of bedside manner and respect that they don’t have time for during war, that is most definitely necessary when it comes to practicing as a family doctor especially when handling the opposite sex :frustrated:

I thought it might be better switching to female doctors, given my condition being in OBGYN territory. That was fine for a while but then I finally managed to find a woman that could be just as bad.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man -- Ummm, you've been through my town & I live the farthest, don't I? My butt is almost in Canada!

Kwik Kwik --I took your advice & bought some baby wipes. Ugh. Did you actually ever try to clean the house with these? They are the worst. They left white lint all over everything. Worse than paper towels. I like the Seventh Generation cleaning wipes with the orange label, but they are so expensive.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man -- Ummm, you've been through my town & I live the farthest, don't I? My butt is almost in Canada!

Kwik Kwik --I took your advice & bought some baby wipes. Ugh. Did you actually ever try to clean the house with these? They are the worst. They left white lint all over everything. Worse than paper towels. I like the Seventh Generation cleaning wipes with the orange label, but they are so expensive.
So is mine.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got caught up on the thread and had to shiver at the retired military doctor conversation. Definitely agree that they should be treated far better whatever occupation they choose to go into. But there is a certain level of bedside manner and respect that they don’t have time for during war, that is most definitely necessary when it comes to practicing as a family doctor especially when handling the opposite sex :frustrated:

I thought it might be better switching to female doctors, given my condition being in OBGYN territory. That was fine for a while but then I finally managed to find a woman that could be just as bad.
Ive had blah experiences while actually being seen on base; but I really liked the last one I had a few years ago. He’d recently retired from the army so I was a little nervous but he turned out to be the most practical and encouraging Ive had. He retired shortly after covid arrived.

Initally I wanted female OBGYNS too. I ended up needing to see the male one in the group and promptly switched to him and then a friend he recommended when he moved away. Both are literally the best doctors Ive ever had. They are more gentle, kind and compassionate. One of my friends was a nurse in a local obgyn practice and she said thats the general sentiment in the area too.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Awww,for what ?glass & mirrors?- I use Invisible,all the others leave that lint- very true

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But there is a certain level of bedside manner and respect that they don’t have time for during war, that is most definitely necessary when it comes to practicing as a family doctor
My doctor was very kind and had a great bedside manner. The thing I liked about him vs other doctors, is that he told it like it is. No dancing around. He was blunt and honest and I appreciated that, but was kind and gentle when needed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww,for what ?glass & mirrors?- I use Invisible,all the others leave that lint- very true
What is Invisible? Is that the brand name? Well you didn't say that, you just said to use baby wipes to clean the house. So I bought the Walmart ones & cleaned the entire house! Wish you were here to help me clean all the lint. Ha!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
What is Invisible? Is that the brand name? Well you didn't say that, you just said to use baby wipes to clean the house. So I bought the Walmart ones & cleaned the entire house! Wish you were here to help me clean all the lint. Ha!
Yeah- it's the name( for glass n mirrors,I have alot of that) ---- I'll have to check the other one I use to clean the house but also" Dude 'is the name of the baby wipes I use around the cats

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dude wipes. DD calls DS that. (I call him that or Bean…) I should find those and put him to work and hygiene. 🤔 He is um…growing up. But thankfully so far the stinky part hasn’t been bad. 🤪 Its still that phase where first they don’t think they need to shower. And then when they do it requires a whole tank of hot water. DH introduced him to “military showers” the other day. :lol2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Dude wipes. DD calls DS that. (I call him that or Bean…) I should find those and put him to work and hygiene. 🤔 He is um…growing up. But thankfully so far the stinky part hasn’t been bad. 🤪 Its still that phase where first they don’t think they need to shower. And then when they do it requires a whole tank of hot water. DH introduced him to “military showers” the other day. :lol2:
When my son was young getting him to bathe or shower was difficult. If I could get him to do it once a week i was doing well. Then around 10 he discovered girls and he was showering every day. Some time after that I was driving my mom and son in the car one day and she turned to me with a shocked look on her face saying “ When did he start smelling good?“. Hysterical but it was that noticeable.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy my husband finally got his diabetes medication yesterday. His doctor had been on the search for more for weeks due to everyone using it for weight loss. He had used his last injection on Thursday and was due for another one this Thursday. Only got a month's worth but at least it's something.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy my husband finally got his diabetes medication yesterday. His doctor had been on the search for more for weeks due to everyone using it for weight loss. He had used his last injection on Thursday and was due for another one this Thursday. Only got a month's worth but at least it's something.
Thats really awful- the diabetic folks should really be first priority imo....They need to figure out away to make sure there's enough to go around - diabetic cannot afford to wait,dieters can----- just my 2cents really but is a problem that needs attention

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats really awful- the diabetic folks should really be first priority imo....They need to figure out away to make sure there's enough to go around - diabetic cannot afford to wait,dieters can----- just my 2cents really but is a problem that needs attention
Maybe people with Type 2 are using it to lose weight, therefore trying to get the diabetes under control this way, and not just dieters trying to lose weight.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe people with Type 2 are using it to lose weight, therefore trying to get the diabetes under control this way, and not just dieters trying to lose weight.
Yed, but this medication does control blood sugar as well by excreting excess sugar in the individual’s urine, so for diabetics it serves a dual purpose.