cold, hard cash, baby

i've got lots of bills...

sigh

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

You suppose he got you 24 different spices?
Haha! The joke would definitely be on me then! We do joke about that actually, I say it's 24 little things like socks and he assures me they're not. LOL

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm getting exactly what I asked for!!
The Zelda limited edition Nintendo DS and a new kitten!! We go tomorrow to the shelter to find our new baby!!
I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight I am so excited!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't be getting anything on Christmas Day, but I know my mom won't be able to restrain herself completely, and there will no doubt be something small under the tree. But the big gift is coming next month: my folks are going to finance lap-band surgery for me, and let me pay them back over time.

I know some people view the surgery as "cheating," but it really isn't at all -- you still have to make a massive commitment to changing a lot of your most basic behaviors forever. The band just works to enforce the changes, which is genuinely necessary for the vast majority of people.

It's not just about will-power -- it's a complex system by which your body perceives your weight-loss diet as deprivation. Your body thinks you're starving, and tries to cling to every fat cell it's got. Your whole body actually fights your efforts to lose weight -- but the lap-band allows you to "trick" your body into thinking you're eating normally, so it doesn't trigger that fat-maintenance response.

I would never have surgery just for the sake of my appearance, although goodness knows that will be a major side benefit. I'm doing it because my health is shot, and this is the quickest and most certain way to reduce or eliminate my diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, chest pain, and back pain.

So that's what I'm getting for Christmas and birthday combined for the next several years! This whole thing was actually my mom's idea... I would never have brought it up. I'm very, very lucky to have such a caring and supportive family.

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I shouldn't be getting anything on Christmas Day, but I know my mom won't be able to restrain herself completely, and there will no doubt be something small under the tree. But the big gift is coming next month: my folks are going to finance lap-band surgery for me, and let me pay them back over time.

I know some people view the surgery as "cheating," but it really isn't at all -- you still have to make a massive commitment to changing a lot of your most basic behaviors forever. The band just works to enforce the changes, which is genuinely necessary for the vast majority of people.

It's not just about will-power -- it's a complex system by which your body perceives your weight-loss diet as deprivation. Your body thinks you're starving, and tries to cling to every fat cell it's got. Your whole body actually fights your efforts to lose weight -- but the lap-band allows you to "trick" your body into thinking you're eating normally, so it doesn't trigger that fat-maintenance response.

I would never have surgery just for the sake of my appearance, although goodness knows that will be a major side benefit. I'm doing it because my health is shot, and this is the quickest and most certain way to reduce or eliminate my diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, chest pain, and back pain.

So that's what I'm getting for Christmas and birthday combined for the next several years! This whole thing was actually my mom's idea... I would never have brought it up. I'm very, very lucky to have such a caring and supportive family.
Actually your parrents might not have to foot the whole bill. If you have insurance and are considered morbidly obese (I hate that term BTW) many insurance companies will pay for the procedure. I know because my mother is concerned for me and has brought all of this up with me. I don't think that I want it though. I am just trying to do the old-fashioned way. But I am really afraid of the surgery. I just refuse to do it. But that's me. I will be praying that all goes well for you!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks -- but I have no insurance at all. I've got so many health issues that I'm essentially uninsurable. I am looking into whether I can get access to my 401k for this, though... I don't know how much is in there, but every little bit would help.

Hijack over! To get back on track, let me list what I would be hoping for, if money grew on trees around here:

1. A big comfy RV for a couple of weeks, so I could take my elderly parents on a trip back to Ohio and Kentucky to visit family.

2. A piano keyboard input for my Mac, so I can more easily record my songs in GarageBand.

3. A computer chair that won't hurt my back.

4. And last but not least -- a case of Appian Way Pizza Mix, which hasn't been available in Texas for many years.