What's inside your "cat care box"?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Not a big apartment not much light.
Blighty hates to be held. H cries through his nose when I do.
Whisky's not much better.
I don't know if I'll be able to do it.
Try starting with touching paws when they are laying on your legs: the paw/s that are closest to you.  You start with touching and stroking the top of the paw and then move to gently stroking and touching the pad and individual toes.  Then once your cat is OK with you doing that you can start to hold the paw gently and push each toe so the claw extends out.  When you and your cat feel safe with that you can try clipping a claw.  If they are relaxed enough when you touch their paws you don't have to hold them most times, just do eough that they don't get freaked out by it each time.  

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the clipping, Stewball. Nail clipping is HIGH DRAMA at my place, and not just from the cats! 
But we do get it done as it's not optional for older cats.

About records; I do keep the  paper records, of course, but I rely on my electronic records. I use two simple spreadsheets (Excel), one workbook for my 27 on-site cats and one for my off-site cats. Each cat has their own sheet in the workbook. Every time I make an update to a workbook, in addition to it being saved locally to my laptop and to my server, I also print it to a .pdf and email it to myself. It is then saved to a folder on my email server and so always available no matter where I am, as long as there is internet service. I do the same (scan them and email them to myself ) with all of their documents, eg. rabies certificates, lab reports, etc. I always print out a copy of the cat's individual sheet to take with them to the vet, but more than once I have gone off and left it sitting safe and sound on the printer, then I'm glad that I can get it online.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really scared about clipping the claws. My hands not to steady and my glasses not that good. I know I can just take off the tip. Normally my vet's 'Girl Friday' pops over and does them for me. She's really a 'woman' Friday. She's been doing it for years as it's hard for me to carry them because of my back. However it's done I don't pay. My vet comes if needed to give a vaccination as well. For that I pay a bit extra. It's just that their claws are very sharp at the moment.
Oh well
Eventually they will be done and I won't get so scratched
You must understand that the scratching is not done on purpose. Neither of them bite or scratch. Lovely boys.

HHAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY.
:wavey:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your trepidation Stewball .. My eyesight isn't what it used to be which is why I do the clipping and teeth cleaning in our bedroom where there is the most light. Its understandable that if you don't feel up to clipping your cat's nails then perhaps the arrangement you have with the vet girl friday is the ideal solution. Maybe put on a pair of gloves when handling kitty until the boys' claws get done?

Happy new year to you

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your trepidation Stewball .. My eyesight isn't what it used to be which is why I do the clipping and teeth cleaning in our bedroom where there is the most light. Its understandable that if you don't feel up to clipping your cat's nails then perhaps the arrangement you have with the vet girl friday is the ideal solution. Maybe put on a pair of gloves when handling kitty until the boys' claws get done?

Happy new year to you :)  
They're 2 little boys. An abandoned siamese and a street cat both with lovely dispositions and love my lap. Especially the siamese named whisky. Although my street cat named blighty has been here for a few months he is still very jumpy and hides when visitors come. Whisky will let my 5 grandsons stroke him until he gets fed up and off he goes.
But both of them hate being picked up. I do push out their needle sharp claws when they're asleep on me but I don't know if they'd let me do it when they're awake. I could get some help but I've been refused such help. So far.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, beautiful boys! Looks like the street boy is a little tuxedo
My Tuxedo Thomas is also skittish around sudden noises and will tear off upstairs when scared and hide under the bed. Otherwise he is very good natured and quite outgoing most of the time.

Maybe your vet girl friday could spend a bit of time mentoring you? Pushing out the claws when the cats are relaxed is a good first start and doing the clipping when your cats are sleeping on your lap could be a good place to start.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Of course as their mum I'm biased.
I can ask her but usually she slips out and is in a hurry to get back.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Aww, beautiful boys! Looks like the street boy is a little tuxedo
My Tuxedo Thomas is also skittish around sudden noises and will tear off upstairs when scared and hide under the bed. Otherwise he is very good natured and quite outgoing most of the time.

Maybe your vet girl friday could spend a bit of time mentoring you? Pushing out the claws when the cats are relaxed is a good first start and doing the clipping when your cats are sleeping on your lap could be a good place to start.
Sneaking a little claw clip while they are sleeping is a very good strategy.  Just like you would do with a human baby. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh don't talk about cutting babies nails.
15 years ago I tried to cut my granddaughter's nails and I cut her finger.
I don't know who cried the loudest.
Never again. I had no trouble with my kids but I was younger then. To put it mildly.
:lol3:

cooperwoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Treats, brushes, furminator, kong zoom groom, leash, cat harness, waterless towels, and toys!