What's in a name?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leo's real name is Leonardo. He's a very intelligent, stoic and dignified boy, with a paintbruch for a tail, and Leonardo just seemed highly appropriate. Plus, he was my b-day present to myself when I turned 19, and my sign is Leo, so it works out wildly well!

Gracie's full name is Amazing Grace. She is named so because she was saved from Hurricane Katrina by a group of Chicago-based volunteers and arrived in my arms at precisely the time I needed to heal from the death of my kitten Lola, (who was an FeLV+ orphaned stray baby named for the song in Damn Yankees). It surely required a special grace to survive a hurricane, dodge being returned to an apathetic owner who had relocated from NOLa to Ohio and end up with me at th eperfect time. That one was also voted on by this forum

cheryl999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My favorite cat name is Eggplant. He was a wonderful half Persian, black. He was my favorite cat. I never recycled his name. However on names evolving, My cat Proby is sometimes called Dobie. Mittens my Hemmingway is called Miltons, her sister went from Whitpaws to wipes.

cheryl999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My favorite cat name is Eggplant. He was a wonderful half Persian, black. He was my favorite cat. I never recycled his name. However on names evolving, My cat Proby is sometimes called Dobie. Mittens my Hemmingway is called Miltons, her sister went from Whitpaws to wipes.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my..here we go!

Midnight got his name because I'd always wanted a black cat named Midnight!

Sunshine is orange and white. I picked his name to complement Midnight's LOL.

Cole came to us with his name, as did Tilly, Panther, Precious, Star, Raven, Loki, Nefertiti and Osiris.

Lilith was originally named "Toy". She got her new name when we brought her home and she immediately established that SHE was the boss over our three males, Midnight, Cole and Sunshine. Lilith was Adam's first wife and refused to be subservient to him, so she was banished from Eden. She then "became" a she-demon who bred 1000 children a day who caused mankind nothing but trouble. The truly humourous part of this was, 3 weeks after we got her, we found out Lil was pregnant, and her kids have certainly lived up to the troublemaker part!

Lilith's kittens were named mostly based on their appearance: Blondie is a buff tabby; Jules was named for the drink Orange Julius; Poly is a polydactyl; Silver is a silver tabby. Pan was named for the Greek God of nature and animals, and Max, the littlest of the litter, was named for Maximus from Gladiator, to give her a name "to grow into".

Will add more about other kitties later...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didnt get to name my girl. part of the deal of my getting a cat is that the boyfriend got to pick her name. He is big into go-kart racing and had just bought a brand new chasis. It was called a Phenom. Well when they tried to get our girl out of the cage she ran fast. so the name Phenom came along. It really does fit the way she tears through the house!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps my favorite story about one of our cats' names is that of Khepera. He had been badly abused before we got him, and had been taken from his former home by Animal Control. He'd been locked in a windowless, mold-covered basement bathroom for at least 6 months before they found him. His former owner called him "Stinky".

Animal Control renamed him Tinker, something with a little more dignity. But when we adopted him, I wanted to give him a new name, something to reflect his new life with us. Khepera is the Egyptian god of the rising sun, reincarnation and rebirth. He is represented by a winged scarab beetle. This was the perfect name for the handsome, wonderful Aby boy! He learned his new name right away and answers to Khepera, Kepi and Kep.
I love all my kitties, but Kepi has a very special place in my heart.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I named my two kitties with other animal names:

Lemur- because "Lemur" is my nickname from my dad, since I had big eyes when I was born and I love the name Lemur

Monkey- because I am obssessed with monkey's!! and my friends and I have a mutual inside joke where we call eachother monkey...