What's In A Name?

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Attitude(black and white looks like the Maine Coon mix she is) was named because she has an Attitude. Mitzi named her this. I told Paul I wanted to keep her and he let me. She has always had an Attitude, since she showed up with 11 other kittens.The moms(Mama, Biter and Goldie) decided it was time for us to meet them and for them to eat solid food. She showed it really well when she got stuck behind Mitzi's fence and Mitzi let the dogs out. Attitude found a good hiding spot in an area the dogs couldn't reach. I was outside when it happened, I thought she was outside the fence when I had seen her when I came out. She hissed when Mitzi went to grab her so Mitzi left her alone and said she hissed at her. I climbed into the branches that she had hidden behind(the dogs can now reach that area since I broke them getting to her.) She hissed at me when I went to grab her. I said "stupid, knock it off, it's me" and scruffed her to get her out of the yard. She also decided to show it when she decided she didn't want a bath. She needed one because her rear was nasty and I figured if I was going to get that cleaned I might as well give her a full bath. She hissed and was mad but never tried to bite or scratch(she's figured out those are useless because I'll just keep bathing her, guess she decided to see if hissing would work, which it didn't. She is an expert at hateful looks, she just has an attitude and you can tell. She was also the 'test' kitten. One of the moms brought over a kitten, it was Attitude. She was nothing but a fuzzball of black and white fur with no teeth. She let us handle her and her mom(Goldie or Biter) didn't care. We went over the Mickey's thinking she might have lost a kitten since she had Callie and her 3 but all hers were accounted for. We already knew she wasn't Mama's(we thought she was) since she had hissed at her. One of the black cats came over and I told Paul to put her down to see if we found mom, sure enough she picked Attitude up by her head and carried her off back to the trailer until it started to get dark and they all decided to go where ever it was that they had the kittens. Once again Attitude was picked up by the head and whoever it was who had her carried her off with the other black cat following her. She is nicknamed 'Tude, or The 'Tude.

Nuts(tabby, black and brown, short hair) got that name because he's just crazy. He was sitting in the middle of the road and Mitzi drove up[, she honked but Nuts just sat there and stared at her(we don't live on a busy street, Mitzi and b#tch up the street were the only traffic, thankfully it was Mitzi, b#tch would have ran him over just for the fun of it.) Finally she had to get out of her car and physically move him. All the other scattered when she honked the horn. Mitzi was also outside with the dogs and Nuts was antagonizing them and they were barking and he decided to walk through the fence the dogs were behind. Luckily he ran back out before Dylan ate him. I started calling him Nuts after that and decided I was going to keep him too. Him and Attitude were already 'partners in crime' anyways, I didn't want to separate them. He also started standing up to the Siamese everyone hated at 4 weeks old doing a total Halloween cat- arched back hair standing up and hissing at her. It was funny to watch, she didn't know what to make of that.

They answer to their names when they feel like it, like most cats.

Mama was named because she was the one who started it all, she is Callie, Goldie and Biter's mom and the grandma of the 12 kittens(counting Callie's 3) we had last summer(plus she had 3 of her own last summer as well.) Biter got named because she loves to give love bites(in other words she mouths your finger with her teeth.) When you pet her it's almost guaranteed she'll bite you, but never hard. Goldie(RB) was named because of her gold eyes, she disappeared one day never to be seen again, I think she became coyote chow. Goldie was the hardest to name, we just came up with it because we had no idea what to name her.

Runt was named because he was the Runt of the litter, he's now huge so Runt doesn't fit him anymore but he was already named so we kept it. Half-tail was impossible to name I finally noticed she had a short tail so I named her that. Goldie Jr has Goldie's golden eyes(well they all have the eyes but he looks exactly like her, all black.)

Mama is a tortoiseshell Maine Coon and the rest of the outside crew are black cats with varying fur lengths from short to medium length hair.

One more outside is Blue, I named him that after he stuck around long enough that he needed a name, he just showed up one day and decided to stay. He mostly stays over at Mickey's(she feeds them, mine usually show up over there to see if she's offering something better than we are, I think we feed the exact same thing, Cat Chow) he likes her porch swing, but he comes over to visit a few times a week at least. He's a Blue cat(he looks looks like a Russian Blue) so he got called Blue.

Sylvester has a name but he won't come near us and hisses at me if he's close when I have the food bowl. Normally we don't name cats we can't interact with but he looks like Sylvester from Loony Toons so we started calling him that. I say hi to him every time I see him.

Not sure if any of them know their names.

Spaz(RB)(all white short hair) got her name because she's a spaz. My boyfriend Patrick(who is now my ex-husband) called her 'little b#tch' and she responded to that better than her own name so it stuck. I still usually called her Spaz, she knew her name just responded to Patrick's nickname for her better.

Maude(RB) came pre-named from the humane society and Paul kept her name the same. She knew her name, she just chose to never respond to it.

Taryn

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This topic seems to come up frequently... I'm not complaining, because it gives me another chance to boast.

I only have one cat. Holland was named at the shelter where I adopted her. I thought her name was unique so I kept it. And she most definitely responds to it. I can call her name with a whistle and she will come - that is NOT just a dog trait. I have no doubt that she knows her name, and she is a Holland through and through. Sometimes you just know when a name fits someone, and Holland fits her to a T.

One of the reasons I love the clinic she goes to is that the vet that first checked her after her adoption remembered her a year later. And when Holland weighed in at 6 pounds (as an adult) she made the comment "Well, Holland IS a small country...".

I have never had to name a pet in my life, they have all come with names that fit them.

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

All of my kitties know their names quite well actually.
It didn't take any of them long at all. I call them all by nicknames usually though.

Shadey - named because it looks like someone took a pencil and "shaded" him in.

Elliott - I have always loved the name and he just LOOKS like an Elliott.

Imhotep - I wanted an Egyptian name and Imhotep means "he who comes in peace". That suits him because he is always so able to calm me down. He knows when I'm upset and is truly my soulmate cat.
Osiris - Keeping with the Egyptian theme.

Cleopatra II - Again keeping with the Egyptian theme but the 1st Cleopatra died in my arms exactly 1 month before Cleo II and Osiris were born. She was named as a tribute to the baby I had lost.
Nova - My boyfriend, Dana, named him as he adopted him before I came into the picture. He just liked the name.

Azizi - Egyptian again meaning "Precious" and that he is!

Teyah - I just really loved the name, and she is such a pretty, dainty cat that I thought it suited her.
LOVE the Egyptian theme... I almost became an Egyptologist but didn't have the stamina for it, lol. Anyway, when I saw your banner I kinda squealed because they're just so creative!!

As for my baby, her name is Bella, and I often get a little perturbed when people ask, "OH AFTER TWILIGHT?" lol, probably just because it's become such of a big thing and all, anyway. But Bella was actually going to be the name of my firstborn daughter. Arabella, actually. You see, I am a classical singer, and Italian is my favorite language to sing in. I always thought, I want to name my daughter Arabella, and call her Bella, meaning "beautiful" in the gorgeous language. When I first held my little girl, I looked down at her and murmured, "Bella." And that's that! I'm unsure if I can still use that name for a daughter, lol. If I'm lucky enough to have one some day. To be honest, my baby Bella is enough of a daughter to me, even if she is covered in fur!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The only cat who never responded to us calling his name was Hydrox. I had to say, "kitty, kitty" to get him to come to me....and even that was only when he felt like coming. He had selective deafness, which means he could hear a can opener from a mile away, but couldn't hear the word "No!" even if we were both in the same room.

All the other kids know their names. And, for the most part, if I cannot find a cat and call its name, it will come. For the most part.

(Rainbow) Hydrox - he was named after the cookie
(Rainbow) Banshee - as a kitten, she screamed like a banshee, as she was climbing up my pant legs. She would ALWAYS come when called. Always.
(Rainbow) Da Pumpkin-Boy - we took him in right before Halloween because we were worried about what might happen to him. He had been befriended by the ladies who work with DH, but nobody would take him home. So we took him. And he was a darling orange boy.

Whisper - our little grey girl. When she's sitting in the bay window, you cannot see her against the background of the living room. We also call her Stealth Kitty for that reason. (We catnapped her from people who weren't caring for her....her first name was Smokey.)
Mollipop - one night, after I came home from spending time with her at the vet, I was singing "Lollipop, lollipop" only I goofed and it came out "Mollipop". And darn it, she looks like a Mollipop! She's four months old and she has known her name from the beginning. Once she was named, the people at the vet also called her by her name, so til she came home with me, she knew exactly what her name was. And she comes when I call for her....most of the time.

BooBoo - (Whisper's son) when he was a kitten, he looked like a little bear cub. But he looked more like a BooBoo than a Yogi. So....BooBoo it was.
Bootser - (sister to Whisper) I don't know. She's a tiny tux with pretty white paws. We started calling her Bootser. Now we call her Bootser Bootser.....yes, said twice. (We also catnapped her; her first name was Mittens.)
Ms. Pepe - our tortie (BooBoo's sister and Whisper's daughter). She reminded us of Pepe Le Pew, but she's female, so she became Ms. Pepe. Took awhile for our vet to remember that she is, indeed, a Ms., not a Miss!
Amber Louise - She was a stray in the neighborhood and a friend brought her over to me at work. She's rather neurotic in that, most of the time she acts like she's terrifed of us. We cannot go to her to pick her up because she runs away from us. Yet, she does like to "flirt" with us, by walking close to us and waving her tail our way for a caress, esp when we're reading on the sofa or hanging out on the computer.