What’s going on with my cat’s ears?

socksandboots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one year old cat, Boots, has lost most of the hair over behind his ears over the past couple of days, and now has developed a couple scabs. He doesn’t seem to be in pain or itchy, but I’m worried about what caused this! If anyone could offer any insight, it would be greatly appreciated!
9D7F9B8A-FFA7-4619-812A-E4F262F1E3E5.jpeg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your cat shaking his head often? Look also for some dark discharge from the ear. Could be earmites. My Bourbon had that. Earmites can be checked by the vet using an otoscope.

Better to check with the vet. It could also be something else.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That warrants a vet visit to be checked for parasites, ear infection or allergy. I wouldn't do anything at home to treat it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The scabbing/baldness would suggest your cat is scratching that area, so it is very likely itchy. Does he go outdoors at all? That could mean he picked up some mites, or other bugs, when outside. Have you checked the rest of his body to see if you see any other similar areas? Do you have other cats? If so, take a close look at them to see if you notice any 'odd' areas on them.

At a minimum, you could take pics of his ear, and any other spots you might find, and send them to your vet to see what they think - that is, if your vet accepts pics. Odds are, though, they will want you to bring him in for a closer look.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat did the same thing and I never caught him scratching at his ears but he had been because of scratch marks in his ears. It was a yeast infection. He had developed a chicken allergy and that was what caused it. The vet gave me some thick eardrops to use and I quit feeding chicken. It cleared up and didn't come back.