what's going on here people?

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue,
I'm not sure why I was singled out in your post, but it bothers me.

You said you werent singling out anyone, then said that frankly you didn't care if you offende Debby or myself. Maybe I misunderstood that, but it sounded like we WERE being singled out?

In my reply to your original post, I wasn't being heated or argumentative, I just said I personally didn't see people here as being overly "powerful or righteous" , and stated why I come here and enjoy it...
Cats, and the people who love them!

I don't mind more powerful topics, but as we all can see...they can cause trouble, and I have plenty of that in my life already :laughing2: so I enjoy hearing about other people lives, the good and the bad.

Anyway, not trying to cause more discontent, just want to clear this up and move on.

Truce?

Cleo

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree w/ Blue, too!! :tounge2: Let's start a fun topic instead of something where people get offended by certain subjects!!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm new to this forum, and a little confused about the mixed opinions I just read. It seems to me that if you want to degate, you can, or you can choose to reply to less controversial posts. I saw a disturbing show on Animal Planet last week, about the ASPCA police in New York. A man burned some of his cat's whiskers because it had misbehaved. He thought he was being arrested for a misdemeanor, happily it was a felony. I just don't understand how anyone could be so cruel to such a wonderful creature. My cat is definitely queen of the house, and we wouldn't have it any other way!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But there are some people in the world that lack the conscience some of us have when it comes to animals. I have had cats pass through here that have been beaten, starved, near-drowned, crucified, burned. Everytime I get the call to come and get another one and I see what someone has done to such an innocent creature, my heart just breaks in half. it really boggles the mind to think of someone in that sort of mindset out to do evil.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy,

It makes me sad, too, when I read stories about animal abuse. To think that someone could hurt any animal is beyond comprehention. It is sickening.
No animal or person should have to be put thru something like that!!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Here's my take on things -

There is more to the forums then the lounge. I think that the other forums are getting along just wonderfully with lots of questions and lots of advice - I learn a lot from them. To me they are the core of the forums.

The lounge was meant to be a place were we can relax and get to know each other. I am very happy with the way it has evolved into a real community where people feel comfortable enough with each other to share even the more trivial aspects of life.

Boring is a matter of opinion, as different people have different fields of interest. Personally, I enjoy reading on most topics as what matters to me is not the topic itself but the posts and their tone. For example, one might think that a thread about hair removal methods would be extremely boring, yet I thought it was one of the funniest I've read here. What made me enjoy it was the fun posts and that certain something that's very hard to point...

Anyone can start a thread about anything - if the subject is deemed inappropriate or offensive, it might be closed down by a moderator. I am happy to say this was never needed and I hope we'll never have to.

To me, there is a special spirit in the forums that I'd really like to keep going. It's a spirit of compassion and understanding and not wanting to hurt each other. Sure, everyone can have a bad day or a bad post and it's okay to have a difference of opinions. But in the end we all must remember that there are real people on the other side of the monitor screen and that these are good people (all cat lovers remember
).

Just my 2 cents.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Deb25, I just had to say, that I for one, truelly enjoyed seeing picutures of your pad! I find it extremely interesting to see where you live (especially that beautiful atrium!)and I was glad that you posted them.

I only post when I am sincere, and if I don't feel it, then I don't post. not to say that if I don't post at something it's because I have no sincerity, but I may not have any feelings about it one way or the other, or I may not know how to articulate what I want to say, or maybe I'm afraid of posting a conflicting view point. there are many reasons I won't post, but if I do, it's always sincere.

the shaving thread was fun because we got goofy & posted silly things. sometimes it just flows like that. it seems like all the planets have to line up for that to happen.

I really don't believe that Blue intended to offend anyone. She was just giving her opinions, as we all do here. And I thought she gave them in a non-confrontational, mild, matter of a fact way. We're not always going to agree, but the important thing is to respect each other & I think she gave her opinions with respect. She offered some suggestions, nothing personal to anyone. I would hate to think that this thread would cause rifts, when all she was trying to do was make some suggestions about what she would like to see to make this forum better. As Anne pointed out, it's all subjective, and that was her view, and it doesn't feel like she's the only one.

If we all have to be afraid of saying something because people are going to jump to conclusions & take it personally, than this board is going to get boring real fast. When I post, I'm not looking for someone to tell me what I want to hear, or to agree with me if that isn't their opinion. I know I'm afraid to post things that people are going to have different opinions of, because of what the after math may be. that sucks. I want to do more than go to posting parties, be the 12th one in line to post some obligitory comment and try to find different words to post the same sentiment that everyone else before me has said.

kittyfoot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay...here's the official Dumb Man opinion. I view this forum as an extended conversation. Somewhat like a family reunion where the members are gathered from all over the world. I can drift from group to group,listen to the subject and join in if I wish..move on if I don't.

As for this being a cat site..I see lots of stuff here about our little friends and love it..but the thing I enjoy greatly about this site is the fact that it is much less restrictive in it's content than other sites I belong to. Even tho I am hopelessly lost about some of the issues you GIRLS bring up...
:tounge2:

Never the less I always enjoy the challenge of deciphering the female mind.

Blue...if you want discussions on whatever subjects..throw them in there. Don't wait for someone else or expect them to read your mind.
I know that you are having a hard time and have past issues to deal with...so have the rest of us. I'll admit I was somewhat surprised,given all the support and comfort that you have recieved here,that you would send such a peevish post. Ok,we'll write it off to a bad day and forget about it. I might suggest an old trick my Grandmother taught me...when you feel an angry impulse;write it down on paper,then let that letter sit for a day.Go back the next day and re-read what you've written..if you still feel the same..send it. If not,destroy the letter and carry on.

Debbie,et al....please don't run away from us because you feel hurt. That is no answer. Stay and express your hurt feelings,get it out. I think you will find that most often it's just a misunderstanding. with all the technology it is still very difficult to express an emotion with only a few typed words. Consider that a book by a skilled author can be interpreted differently by each reader. I see no-one here who would willingly cause you pain or sorrow...they are just not that kind of people.

Now,finally,I'm gonna start you women folk sharpening your man-skinning knives by starting a new thread entitled A Man's View of Relationships. Feel free to come out swinging. I will not feel hurt..I know you're all secretly in love with me anyways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittyfoot

basically i just want to respond to what affected me in your post, and get my point
of view out there.

as you should know by now, i am not someone that sits around and waits for someone
else to start threads about the things i want to discuss, i am constantly starting threads
about things i think are interesting, or funny, or light, or whatever.

i give a lot to this site.

i just get a little tired of it sometimes, and am just not up to it, it comes to the point
where i just need a break.

the idea of this thread was very simple. i wanted to, for one, get my opinion out there, and for two,
and get input back from everyone else.

i refuse to walk on eggshells at this site, and be afraid of controversy, or stating my opinion,
and i dont think anyone else should have to be afraid of that either.

i wasnt having a bad day, nor was i suggesting that my life was lacking stimulation or excitement,
simply put, this site is lacking those elements, and because i'm here, and i'm involved here,
and i see where things are at and where they seem to be going,
i thought a conversation about it was in order to see if i was the only one noticing.

i dont see the relevance of your statement about the support that has been given to me
during hard times, nor, the relevance of anyone elses hard times ?

what are you saying?

if i discuss personal issues here, or dark ones, it isnt because i need sympathy or pity,
or even support, my life is full of wonderful people that i can lean on,
when i start those threads i do so for two simple reasons:

to hopefully help others dealing with the same problems (i.e. depression)
and catharsis; writing about things is a way for me to release stress, and pain, and
a thousand other emotions that would otherwise pull me down.

i appreciate every single kind & sincere gesture, believe me, i think we have some
wonderful and amazing people at this site, some of who i feel lucky to call my friends,
but i will not kiss anyones a$$, you know?

i didnt see the need to think on my post overnight, dwelling on whether or not
i wanted to post it, because, it wasnt meant to be personal, it wasnt meant to hurt anyone,
it was meant to shed light on some things i've been thinking about.

Cleo

you and Debby were singled out because i felt the two of you were the ones that
reacted most negatively, sarcastically and defensively.

i didnt feel a whole lot of respect in your words, which is why you were singled out.

Deb25

i posted about it in the Goals thread and then i lost it before it got submitted

i'll do so again in that thread

thanks for understanding my point.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we're all cat people here, what is your favorite cat pose? I love when my cat is sleeping in a ball, with her paws covering her face. Sometimes I am convinced that she could answer any question I asked her, she looks so contemplative, if only I could find a way to get inside her head. Sometimes, she just sits or lays, looking at nothing specific yet very cool and collected, and I am sure she is meditating or figuring things out. No wonder we love cats, they are like living engimas, waiting to be figured out.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
great question! you will get more responses if you start a new thread with the question as the title. People don't know that your question is in here, because of the content of thread, and it may get lost, or not get very many responses.

and welcome to the cat site!

kittyfoot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lady Blue...OK,point taken. As I said it is difficult to convey exact feelings with a written phrase. I do not know you personally or well enough to pick up nuances from a thread here any more than you can from me. There have been many times here when I have submitted a reply and had no-one acknowledge it. It would be very easy to feel like an "outsider" in each case,but I know that my opinion is only my opinion..

Now,I'm sorry if I misunderstand but very often in your posts I pick up a sense of repressed anger. From what I gather from the other replies from your friends here you have just cause for that. That is none of my business. But kiddo..there was a definite edge there;whether you meant it or not. Thus my comment about Granny's lesson. Even the best writers can unconciously carry their mood into their writings. As a poet you should understand that.

Anyhow,I certainly wish you well lady blue....and if you want controversy pop into the thread I posted and wail away at this lo truck driver...grin. I can take your best shots

blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so what you're saying is, it isnt always easy to understand what people are trying to get
across, like for example, friendly sarcasm or humour, but, you can tell that i have
repressed anger?

excuse me while i take a seat on your sofa, free psychoanalysis is not easy to come by, yknow

it surprises me that you get that sense from me, my anger is not repressed, baby,
i let it out.

michelerad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really don't want to get into the middle of this, but I think it needs to stop. I didn't like some of the things that were said on the "Fury Mice" thread but I believe no one meant to hurt anyone else. We are all friends here and I think everyone knows that. Let's get back to the important stuff like who has a new kitten or whatever! Let's please talk like friends again!

Michele

blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's my understanding that Kittyfoot can take whatever i hand out and vice versa,
it isnt meant to hurt and harm, it's a lot of tongue and cheek, yknow?

that's the way we've been known to understand one another

twocats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittyfoot,
Why would you want to take on that kind of a challenge, other than to get things stirred up? I've been away for a while and things sure have changed.