What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I made a big casserole of goulash and a loaf of cheese batter bread.

Talked to my sister this afternoon; she is babysitting their grandson and she said she wasn't planning on much for dinner tonight. So when we went over to see my little nephew, we took the casserole and bread with us and surprised them with supper. They really appreciated it because they weren't planning on much other than perhaps a sandwich. So it worked out well.

And I gave them the leftovers.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is cheese batter bread?  That's a new one for me and sounds too good to be true!

We had fried flounder, really good and fresh and a childhood favorite - Tater Tots.  I haven't had those in ages.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
A batter bread is a bread dough that isn't kneaded; you just mix the ingredients together and let it rise in the bowl. It still rises twice: first time in the bowl, then the second rising is after the dough is put into the bread pan and smoothed out. No kneading, just mixing. But you still have to watch your yeast and make sure that it's alive and that you don't kill it. (I use instant yeast most of the time now, so I don't have to fuss with water at a certain temperature and so forth. Instant yeast makes it so much easier.)

Anyway, this batter bread recipe is delicious the way it is (it makes simply delicious toast), but sometimes I like to add a good cup of shredded extra-sharp Cheddar to the batter. I'll also sprinkle a bit of basil and oregano over the top of the loaf, just for some extra flavor, then brush on a bit of melted butter before baking.  It's delicious with chili or soup. I made it yesterday to go with our goulash.

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A batter bread is a bread dough that isn't kneaded; you just mix the ingredients together and let it rise in the bowl. It still rises twice: first time in the bowl, then the second rising is after the dough is put into the bread pan and smoothed out. No kneading, just mixing. But you still have to watch your yeast and make sure that it's alive and that you don't kill it. (I use instant yeast most of the time now, so I don't have to fuss with water at a certain temperature and so forth. Instant yeast makes it so much easier.)

Anyway, this batter bread recipe is delicious the way it is (it makes simply delicious toast), but sometimes I like to add a good cup of shredded extra-sharp Cheddar to the batter. I'll also sprinkle a bit of basil and oregano over the top of the loaf, just for some extra flavor, then brush on a bit of melted butter before baking.  It's delicious with chili or soup. I made it yesterday to go with our goulash.
That sounds so good. Care to share the recipe?

Tonight, I'm making corned beef and cabbage. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Daughter gave us meat from Omaha Steak Co for Christmas. We are doing the burgers on the grill tonight.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We ended up just having mini chicken meat pies and sweet potato fries. I forgot to start the corned beef until my husband asked if I was making it at 3:40 and it takes at least 2 hours. Oops.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mac n cheese.  Normally I just do it in one pot on stove top but put this one in oven for a bit.  Hit the spot.

furmom101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Home made chicken Alfredo and Garlic toast! The fur babies got their own plain chicken tonight for a treat, since I had enough left over. :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

That sounds so good. Care to share the recipe?

Tonight, I'm making corned beef and cabbage. 
Yes, I will. I'm at work right now, but will share it tonight when I get home. I could eat corned beef and cabbage right now.

Rick asked me about making hot sausage sandwiches tonight. With lots of sauteed onions and peppers. And maybe some oven fries.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, I completely forgot the bread recipe. I will get it though. My apologies.

Split pea soup tonight, with garlic Parmesan rolls.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took out chicken breasts to make, but I haven't figured out what I am going to do with them yet. I might put them to marinade in some garlic sauce we have in the fridge.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
making a salad and either a garlic broccoli for veg or cauliflied rice.  DH is picking up smoked turkey for me from a local barbeque place (this is not sauced, no sugars used in the preparation) for my protein. Might have gluten-free toast with almond butter for my carb :)

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but its di giorno frozen pizza.
We are moving and packing so it's crazy.
Plus I had a coupon and they were on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.