What's For Dinner? - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every year for Christmas,our daughter in law makes hubby a double batch of hermit cookies.It's his Mom's recipe,and has apricots,dates,raisins and nuts in them....so yummy!So we had a few crackers with ham salad,a cup of hot honey and mango tea and a couple of hermits.That was dinner!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The plan to start cooking regularly in the new year hasn't taken effect yet, as I've been busy taking down Christmas decorations and doing mini housecleaning. So last night was just snacky stuff. Tonight was a bit better, as I had an open faced toasted sandwich with apple slices, walnut, raisins and cheese. I have been having chickpea salad with cucumber, celery, onion and tomato for lunch the last two days, so I guess I haven't been eating too terribly. Tomorrow I plan to cook something for dinner.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was in town for awhile this afternoon and went through a burger joint that is a locally owned place and pretty popular. I just had the usual, burger and fries (and one of their famous malts)! I got there about 3:30 so there was very little wait time, plus they cook your food to order.
There's another burger place that's very similar on the other side of town, but the last few times I've gone I was less than impressed (a hamburger should not smell like B.O. :barfgreen: ). Plus, the workers are SO unfriendly.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After all the crap lately--I had a furnace fail and then my sewer line got backed up ... I got lazy and had dinner delivered. McAlister's Deli. I absolutely love their potato soup, and they make a pretty decent Reuben sandwich. And no dishes to add to my backlog (now that I can use my dishwasher again--I had run in Friday night and water backed up into the sink and did not go down until I got a plumber here today).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight was a pork medallion sandwich for lunch. Dinner will be the last couple of medallions, and the last of the blackeyed peas and turnip greens.

OH...I found something called "Bacon Jam." It was delivered tonight. Tomorrow, or maybe the next day, I'll make biscuits, and give it a somewhat caution try. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Yes, it is made with real bacon. No, I had never heard of it before.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Here's how I once made bacon jam

Saute small cubes of bacon in a heavy pot over moderate heat. Important - must be good bacon, thick cut. When bacon is shrinking and there's liquid fat, add lots of chopped onion, some mustard seed and brown sugar and a glug of balsamic vinegar. Partly cover the pot, turn the heat to very low and simmer for a very long time, stirring occasionally, until the onions and bacon are very dark and have a jam-like texture. When cool pack in glass jars with good lid and refrigerate. Lasts for a long time.

It was pleasant, Himself didn't care for it, and it was too much trouble to make again.

Status
Not open for further replies.