What's a reasonable amount of money to spend on a cat per month?

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Louse76 - One 3.5 lb bag literally last the entire month for my one cat. She only eats 1/2 cup per day. I had 5 coupons for $1.50 off and bought 5 bags. I'm finally on my last bag which should be finished by the end of June. That's 17.5 lbs of food since the beginning of February. I do keep her food in a heavy duty plastic container which can hold up to 10.5 lbs of dry food. I know they sell 7 lb bags according to Purina ONE's website, but I have yet to find them in stores. I can only find 3.5 lb or 16 lb bags.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get the biggest bag of food and the biggest tin of litter, and keep the food in an airtight container. the food lasts about 2 months, so half of 24 is 12, and we go through 1 thing of litter at 11 each, and Paige's collar every month, which, I don't think I'm gonna get another one -.- she'll have to just be in the house, which she is anyway. but each collar is 3 bucks. and a 9 dollar toy each month. This isn't including the random buying of litter boxes and other necesities that are "1 time buys" so if we include those, at an average $10(some months we don't buy anything, some months we by a good deal)
Monthly we spend $45.00 on 2 cats.
But we haven't had our vet visit yet. o_O wow.. no wonder we don't go out to dinner anymore, lol. one time out is cat supplies for a month.

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
I have 6 cats, 3 inside and 3 outside. The inside cats only eat dry food and Deli turkey for a treat every morning (husband spoiled them with the deli turkey) and the outside cats eat one can between the three and dry food daily (they are mousers). So I spend $65.00 a month total for all 6. THis does not include the vet. The vet bill this past year, which includes 5 spay/neuters, shots and a few uri's was $1,000.00.
I did not include the dog that grew to 80lbs

They are my babies.
Clara

prissykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know Peter ran the numbers one time and we spend around $5,000 a year on our seven. I don't remember exactly. I know I buy 3x $7.99 each containers of litter once every two weeks...

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by grampngram

Buying the toys is the fun part for us.

Then we bring them home...place them all over the house for the Cats to find...and give the cats the paper bag the toys came home in to play with.
How true that is!!!

Often, I think I get more excited about the toys I buy and bring home for my cats than THEY are with it!

I haven't even figured out the costs of maintaining the HIGH LIVING of 4 SPOILED FURBABIES yet! I think I am afraid to!
LUCKILY, I am single so I have to answer to NO ONE about spending $$ on my furbabies!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we buy a 3kg bag of Hills Science Diet, 1 Kg Iams Chicken and 1 Kg Iams Kitten, or Royal Canin Babycat, each week. They eat this, plus if it's a decent brand, cat food they've won at a cat show. My exotic stud, Danlara doesn't like the Premium foods much so he will have a box of Whiskas Dry cat food, and 2 or 3 tins of Whiskas wet a week.

We buy some litter, but most of it is won from cat shows, same goes with Cat Toys and treats, I only ever buy them for christmas presents because they win so many toys throught the year.

Not counting Medical treatment, our two large dogs, or the kittens, I think we spend a fair amount on our cats, they are for me my babies and I love spoiling them! Plus my babies drink out clean fresh NZ water.

This thread is very interesting to read, thanks for posting.