Whata

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh! I can't see his pics on this computer and will have to wait until I get home. I can't wait to see this little guy. By the way, I've asked my boyfriend to bring over his video camera so I can borrow it for a while. I'm hoping to get some good video of Maggie since she's so difficult to take pics of because she's always moving around. I plan to post some here as soon as I get anything worth showing.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

A potted history of the UK Aby -

Silver was bred out of Abys in the UK in the early 1900s - as FerrisCat quite rightly notes this was due to the trouble it caused in breeding clear colours, it often resulted in usuals with poor rufousing and silvers with tarnish - but was reintroduced in the '60s by one outcross to a silver spotted BSH called Culverden Mercury.
The BSH thing blows me away, their type is so very different from the Aby's! I wonder why Silver Maus were not initially used, since there are many similarities between the Aby and Mau standards.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe cause they didn't want the spotted gene in there. Mau's would have given silver, but also the spotted tabby.

You do have shaded silver BSH, which might have been used.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Possibly, but I would think that paint jobs are a lot easier to correct than problems with boning and head structure.

Silver ASH cats were used with the Maus way back when imports were unavailable. I can still pick out the Maus that have them in their background. Persians were also used with some of the Van lines, and so you still see cats with short bodies, round eyes, little ears, and short legs.