what...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I do like both types, the US/CFA type is probably a bit too extreme to catch on over here right now, ours do have a more moderate look which I think is more 'user-friendly' to people not involved in the cat fancy who are looking for a pet. But having said that I do think the CFA type is a very attractive and unusual looking cat in its own right - but really very different to ours!

Breeders here do have difficulty keeping up good breeding programmes just because it can be difficult to home a curly cat, they are not everyone's cup of tea, and Devons are more widely known - so most people looking for a curly cat would think of a Devon first. There isn't much of a pet market for Cornish. The black & white kitten on the link I posted was at the Supreme (as an exhibit not a competitor) and I think everyone gravitated to that end of the hall to have a look, she was so sweet and not at all phased by the attention, so I really hope that a bit more interest in the breed has been stirred up as a result. I wanted to slip that little kitten in my pocket and take her home with me so much it hurt - and I am sure I was by no means the only one who went away longing for a curly cat that day

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't regret either rex if you get a "pure" one
But I'm a little surprised at UK's reaction in liking Devons more. The Cornish was discovered in 1950 - the Devon in 1960 - so the Cornies were around a lot longer.

Personally I like the racy bodies on the cornies. And most of the devons I saw had coat problems.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You won't regret either rex if you get a "pure" one
But I'm a little surprised at UK's reaction in liking Devons more. The Cornish was discovered in 1950 - the Devon in 1960 - so the Cornies were around a lot longer.

Personally I like the racy bodies on the cornies. And most of the devons I saw had coat problems.
Yep I've seen a lot of Devons with poor coats, especially around the throat and belly areas. The history of the Cornish is alas patchy here, despite the fact that the breed originated in the UK - the early UK breeding programme was abandoned (nothing to do with problems in the cats though, they seem to be a pretty robust breed) and has since been reintroduced using imported lines, fortunately allowed by earlier exports of breeding cats. Which is why outcrossing to certain breeds is not only allowed here, but encouraged - the genepool is that small. There have been a few studs imported in the last few years as it's now possible to do it without quarantine for 6 months so is easier and far far less expensive to do so (quarantine regulations were for decades a restrictive influence on breeding programmes of any breed or species here), but even up until fairly recently some breeders were still outcrossing to DSH as far as I know. But go to most mid sized cat shows here (at least in the south) and you'll see 1 Cornish if you're lucky although I have been to shows where they haven't been represented at all, Devons have a far better turn out and you're far more likely to come across a Devon pet owner than a Cornish.

We're at our cat limit at the moment, but if I can ever get another addition to the family it will almost certainly be a purebred Cornish, I knew that before I saw the wee kitten at the show anyway

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zao_cat

I agree. I think he's a birman.
Birmans have white feet (like a mitted ragdoll without a white chin though)

I guess I am off topic too, but I like the "original" CR's too! Devons are ok, I mean, I wouldn't turn down either of them if some one was to give me one
But I WILL have a cornie some day, soon I hope!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me know when you are ready - will give you some breeder recommendations if you tell me which state you are in