What would you suggest as a good supplement for senior cat arthritis?

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For quite a few years I've been using antinol, but of late it seems like it's really hard to find. Also, my cat has never really been too good on wanting to eat those gel capsules with her food, so I wind up squeezing them open. I'm thinking she might be getting tired of the taste of whatever's in them also - going along with the recent history of being more picky. So maybe a good time to switch to something else? Let me know what you might suggest. Cosequin or dasuquin perhaps? Antinol has "PCSO-524", which is apparently a proprietary thing they use that has oil from the New Zealand Green-Lipped muscle.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you think she would continue to like the NZ green lipped mussels, you could try Glyco Flex Plus. They are big chews, so when I fed them to Feeby I cut them into 4-5 pieces. She ate them religiously for a little over 3 years, and I do think they helped her a lot. It is the only other one I know of with the mussels in them. A lot of folks use either Cosequin or Dasuquin - opening up the capsules and sprinkling them onto/mixing them into food.

My cat didn't like either of them, so I gave up, and had her receive injections of Solensia for about 6 months. At first, my vet wanted me to come to the office monthly for the injections, but I finally convinced her I could administer the sub-Q injections myself at home. However, by that time though, I wasn't sure if Feeby was having an itchy reaction to them, so I stopped. I also tried Noden's liquid joint supplement but wasn't really sure how effective it was.

There is also Adequan - another injection. Both Solensia and Adequan are pain blockers for arthritis, but I believe Adequan also contains a joint supplement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something in a small pill form would be great since it would fit in a pill pocket. I know we used to give our dog Dasuqiin, and it was a round chewable tablet. I'm not necessarily trying to stay with these mussels, and I'm fairly sure the way I got started on them is through the kennel recommending that I give her something for being real flaky. Then I must have discussed it with my vet since I see on an invoice from 2021 that I bought Antinol from them. That was likely the first time I used it. Seems longer. Thing is, if she no longer eats them, by squeezing the capsules open she's surely not getting all of it anyway and now seems to be sometimes avoiding licking it up. I can look and see what the pet store has, or even Chewy - since I recently got quite a few things there with this recent change of food brand.

Last edited:

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
both are offered in chews
I emailed my vet to get her thoughts. Chewy has the chewable form (lol..). Either capsule or chew both have the same 125 mg. glucosamine.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going give it a shot. I heard back from the rep at Antinol and he said that there has been no testing done for cats on the new product, and that I should consult with my vet. That's good enough for me to try something different. If it'd work, given the difficulty of finding the original Antinol anymore, I can probably sell what I still have on eBay. That's how I've often bought it.

Last edited by a moderator: