What would you HONESTLY do??

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bottom line is your only doing a job and it doesn't cost anything for the person at the other end to be civil and say no thanks.

I always put myself in peoples situations and i'd hate to have the phone slammed down on me

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Fiance's best friend get's cold calls from re-finance companies. When he does answer them (which isn't often) he usually gets rid of them quickly by telling them his interest rate which none of them to date have been able to beat. I'm polite as long as I can be. But if I say I'm not interested then take my word for it tell me to have a nice day and hang up. Don't try to persuade me or ask me why because thats when I'll hang up. I could never do cold calls.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we have insurance through my husbands company and its payroll deduct.
He recently qualified for AARP and if anyone belongs to AARP they send you a ton of quote material in the mail. I did fill out the quote questionnaire last month and received it back-it was about the same cost. If I would switch insurance companies it would be to our homeowner's company as we can up our liability on the house. Since we heat with a wood stove there are very few insurance companies that would be willing to insure us.
I would rather get some literature in the mail.
Perhaps you could do that in your contact-would you like to receive some literature on saving $$$ on insurance??? So people could look at it on their time

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Bottom line is your only doing a job and it doesn't cost anything for the person at the other end to be civil and say no thanks.
That's exactly it. The basis for civilisation is civility.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd give you a polite no thanks. Because as has been said, I want to find that stuff out on my own time, and because having ppl cold call your house to sell you something, no matter what it is, is annoying. Maybe I've already done my research and know I have the lowest rate. Maybe I"m with the company because a family member works there and I don't want to switch. My point is, people have reasons for not wanting to take teh call, and you should respect that.

Now, my question to YOU is - you call me and say whatever your opening spiel is "Hey, I'm trouts mom and I'm calling from Naughty Tabby Insurance. We'd like to offer you a free quote!".

I reply "Sorry, I'm not interested".

Tell me what you do then? Do you actually say "ok, have a nice day", and hang up? Because I have never in my LIFE had a cold caller respect my first "not interested". Usually they keep talking, and talking, and trying to convince me, and it's just really ANNOYING, not to mention disrespectful. If I say no three times anda they're STILL talking, then I hang up on them. Because I've done my part, I've tried to politely decline, and it's been ignored.

I've been getting an automated call from "STacey at the Mortgage Branch" on my cell three times a week for the last two months. THe kicker is, it's a recording, so I can't tell them not to call, and when i call the number back, it just gives me a recording saying "If you're trying to reach us because you missed our call, hang up, and we'll try you again soon". Well they aint lying there. It's incredibly frustrating to have no way to stop these calls.

I don't appreciate being cold called, and most people I know don't either. It's got naught to do with "not wanting to save money".

Do you know what I'm saying?

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie, I'm sorry your having to go through this annoying & frusterating list of people! I used to do mortgages, and while I was told there was NO cold calling when I was hired, I found it was all smoke & mirrors...
I hated to cold call people, but wasn't too bad at it. I did get a ton of rude people, but don't take it to heart! They are probably working moms, who just sat in rush hour traffice to come home to have to make dinner, when their hubby didn't even take the trash out, and have two kitties meowing for their dinner, and a child who needs help with homework, and started a recipe only to realize that they don't have any milk when it calls for it when the phone rang!
That's about when I get telemarketing calls. I am already in the middle of either a really hectic day, or finally have some peace....and don't wanna chat then either. I mostly don't answer the phone unless I know who it is. And that's it. On the off chance that I do pick up thinking I know the # and the butcher my name horrifically, I just say no she's not home sorry. I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to be bothered either. And that's all.... But I'll tell you, the thing that really burns me up worse than anything, is when they call me from Dishnet. I tried to get Dishnet 3 seperate times, and they kept stringing me along telling me I needed a different type of dish, some other part, for weeks....when the whole time I simply cannot get their service in my wooded area!!!
AND THEY STILL HARASS ME TO GET THEIR SERVICE!!! Nothing like making themselves look like idiots right? I just say, "in case you don't have it in your file, I paid you people to come out & give me your service, got strung along for weeks, had to fight to get my $35 back when the whole time, I simply cannot get your DISH in my neighborhood!!! Put that in your file!"

(and yesterday at work 2 guys come in from DHL, wanting to sell us their service....I'm like, "yeah buddy, check with your company, we use DHL"...nothing like wasting 20 minutes of my busy TCS time!
)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My honest answer? (I sell mailing, email and telemarketing lists for a living.)

I would ask where you got my phone number, because I'm on the national do not call list. Then I would request that you put my number on YOUR do not call list, because I am not interested in receiving any telemarketing calls period.

Then if I got any future calls from your company, I would report you to the Feds for violating the Federal Do Not Call Registry regulations.

Nothing personal - I just hate, hate, HATE being disturbed at home by telemarketers, I don't care what reason you're calling for. If you have something to offer me, send me a mail piece, and I'll get in touch with you IF I'm interested.

That's my two cents. Again, nothing personal.

Oh - and to add to this, if I am already a customer of your company, I STILL don't want calls from you and will request that you put me on your do not call list. Again, if you have something to offer me - especially if I'm already a customer, then send me info by direct mail, or by email IF I have given to permission to contact me that way.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie, I know how you feel. I work at a hotline, where people call ME, and they are still extremely rude. You just have to try not to take it personally, which I know is very hard! It still gets to me.

To answer your question, I would give you a polite "no thanks". Unless I really wasn't doing anything when you called, then I might listen. I agree with others who have said that they would rather research lower rates on their own time.