What would you do?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a strange/morbid question, but something that crossed my mind after I saw some pet rescues on TV.

First of all here's the scenario: Your home is on fire and you've escaped but your beloved cat(s) or other pet(s) are still inside. Also inside is a person whom you don't know very well ( not a relative or friend, and don't worry how they got into your home...you just don't know them very well...and no..they didn't light the fire)

You realize that you can save someone, pet or person, but it is fairly clear that you will get just one chance and you must choose.

What would you choose to do?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have to differ. I would save the human first.

This does show a basic difference in philosphy. I do love my pets dearly, and I act to protect and care for them in almost all situations. But I could never look someone's Mom or son in the eye and say your loved one died so my cat could live.

Of course, in real life, hopefully the human visitor would help save the pets...

This is a very interesting question. I wonder if anyone else will agree with me?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats first I am there caretaker / Mom and another person can think how to get out..

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Humans first. But I love my kitties soooo much! Still, I cannot let the death of another human eat away at my mind.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties always come first in my life.

I would save them.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The visitor should have the wherewithall to help save him/herself. The cats don't have the same mental capacity as a human adult. As such, I feel a stronger obligation to assist the ones who cannot help themselves.

What would the answer be if you had to choose between an adult and a 3 year old child? That's how I think of it.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At my size, strength, and disaster training ability, I think *I* am the most likely to die in this scenario.

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't exit the home until all of my fur and non fur residents were evacuated. If that means tossing them out the window, then so be it. Two stories will not essentially kill.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

The visitor should have the wherewithall to help save him/herself. The cats don't have the same mental capacity as a human adult. As such, I feel a stronger obligation to assist the ones who cannot help themselves.

What would the answer be if you had to choose between an adult and a 3 year old child? That's how I think of it.

AND if the human was unconscious, in truth I don't have the strength to carry or drag him/her to safety.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a three year old i could toss up on myshoulders while carrying the kitties..i would hope anyways...

never had this exact one happen but did have a barn fire...and i am proud to say didnt loose one life..although the fire man let me have a reaming about how dumb it was to go in and out of the barn

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the human hasnt already gotten out, then that means theyre probably trapped behind a wall of fire, and I wouldnt be able to readch them by going in the front way. If tehre was a window, they would have jumped out. If they are in a closet, fire on all sides, which is basically the scenario if the person isnt already out of the house, then they are gone anyways, there is nothing to do. But I would grab my cats first even w/o rational thinking. I love cats more than people. People I know die all the time. Heck. A couple of weeks ago, someone I graduated with died in a car accident.

And really I wouldnt leave the house w/o my cats in the first place. If I came home and the house was on fire, most likely the fire fighters would be there and wouldnt let me in anyways. But if I caught it first I would go on in.

But tahts just me being rational and thinking it out :p BUt yeah. Grab the cats, forget the person I dont know.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would save my cats first. If there is someone in my house that I don't know well enough to worry about saving them first, they are an intruder and probably about to be shot anyway. I just don't let a lot of people in my house. It upsets my kitties, and my house is where I go to get away from people.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought about this before too. Weird, huh?
If there was ever any situation where I could only save a person or my cat, I would save the person. A cat wouldn't be sitting there thinking about all the things they'd wish they'd have done when they had the chance, all the people that are going to be sad and miss them, all the people they didn't get to say goodbye to, and their entire life wouldn't be flashing before their eyes. A cat wouldn't spend their whole life grateful for being alive after having been so close to death, they would just go on as normal, obvlivious to the sacrifice of another person I made to save him.

The bottom line is a cat would be in pain for however long it took to die, but a human would be in misery mentally and physically, and a cat would go on like nothing happened but a human could take the experience and use it to make the world a little better.

Besides, I know if Cupid could comprehend the situation, he would want me to save the human. A human has more to live for.