What Would You Do ????

danny vega

god is really creative i mean just look at cats
Kitten
Purraise
what would you do if your cat broke something very valuable for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danny vega

Kitten
Purraise
I'm just pissed off it was very important :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are more valuable to me than any object. They have wrecked a few things, like furniture. But now I know to cover it and get them scratching posts. Demi knocked over the flat screen TV twice when he was a baby, but I was able to catch it in time. They make things where you can tie down your TV, so I'll probably do that, but he hasn't touched it since. You just cat-proof as best as you can and put stuff away that will fit in cupboards and drawers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be mad too, but you have to remember a cat is an animal. They did not do it on purpose (no matter what you think) and are not capable of thinking how to do harm, they work on animal instinct and in the now. I have had my cats break valuable things, but it made me lock up my other irreplaceable things so they can't get at them. A glass case with doors is good too for display. Try to remember it was an accident, not done with malice, and that you are their world and they love you. I would give up everything I have if I could have my little girl back......

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have broken important things for me. My kids have broken important things for me. It happens if you dont have the things put up in a safe place. Pets and kids will break things, but they are more important than things. It makes us upset, but we just have to clean it up, and go on. Not take it out on the pets or the kids, they dont know any better. I have everything that i consider irreplaceable put up now where cats, kids, or anyone else will not damage it.

danny vega

Kitten
Purraise
it was a gift my dad gave me before he dies just 2 days before

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it the cats fault or was it your fault for putting it where it could get broken?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are only two options.
If it can be replaced, Either you replace it or you make the cat replace it.
If it cannot be replaced, neither of you need not worry about it.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats hard. My dad died a few months ago, so i know how very difficult that can be. It hurts when these things happen, but there really isnt anything to do. I am sorry for the loss of your Dad. I miss mine something horrible.

My Uncle, favorite one, died 15 years or so ago. I got the big vase of flowers we had at the service. My husbands son, who was 12 at that time broke it to pieces. I cried, but know i couldn't do anything about it. pick up the pieces, and realize i still have the memories, even without the vase and arrangement. No one can take the memories we have, and nothing can replace the love we have for our kids and pets, even when they do things that hurt.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, an object like that can be invaluable. I understand wanting to do something but feeling helpless since they are just a cat and have no concept of how much pain they caused. Is it irreparable? If it’s something that you can no longer keep since it’s broken, is it possible to take a photo or repurpose it into something new?

That’s heartbreaking that it is broken, and I’m so sorry for your loss.

danny vega

Kitten
Purraise
Thats hard. My dad died a few months ago, so i know how very difficult that can be. It hurts when these things happen, but there really isnt anything to do. I am sorry for the loss of your Dad. I miss mine something horrible.

My Uncle, favorite one, died 15 years or so ago. I got the big vase of flowers we had at the service. My husbands son, who was 12 at that time broke it to pieces. I cried, but know i couldn't do anything about it. pick up the pieces, and realize i still have the memories, even without the vase and arrangement. No one can take the memories we have, and nothing can replace the love we have for our kids and pets, even when they do things that hurt.
yes it was so hard :( :( but also i love my cat so much

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my Father in January, it is very hard. I miss him each and every day.

I have 4 cats, and they brought me comfort when no one else could. They do things, such as break things, that drive me nuts sometimes. But they also give us unconditional love and acceptance. They only ask for love, safety, and a little food in return. Nothing helps me more, when i am having a really hard time, than to cuddle, or play with my cats. Their innocent enjoyment of life, and the little things they do really helps me. I hope your guys helps you as well!

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your cat your avatar? She looks Beautiful. you should make a new post in the new cats on the block forum and post some photos :)

Last edited:

danny vega

Kitten
Purraise
I lost my Father in January, it is very hard. I miss him each and every day.

I have 4 cats, and they brought me comfort when no one else could. They do things, such as break things, that drive me nuts sometimes. But they also give us unconditional love and acceptance. They only ask for love, safety, and a little food in return. Nothing helps me more, when i am having a really hard time, than to cuddle, or play with my cats. Their innocent enjoyment of life, and the little things really helps me. I hope your guys helps you as well!
i agree she's giving me love all the time

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I know how much this hurts. But your little one didn't know any better, they are an innocent. Your dad understands, he is in a place that is always innocent, there is no blame.
I have yelled, I have cried, I have done things I am ashamed of now. But in the long run, none of it does any good. So forgive and get on with your life, it is much too short to spend it in anger and anguish.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats broke dozens of items including some with big sentimental value to me. She loved to jump and also loved to watch things fall which was a terrible and expensive combination. But the first thing I recognized was that it was my responsibility to take care of my stuff, so I put away as much as I could and used peel and stick Velcro to stick down everything else. I also anchored tall but relatively lightweight furniture to the walls so if she made a sudden decision to leap to the top she couldn’t topple them. I also became a much much neater person, always picking things up and putting them away because a glass setting on a table was an invitation for her to shove it off.

And I also build pet her a screen porch, complete with mesh walls she could climb from floor to ceiling and across. It wore out a lot of her seemingly endless energy.

But still, sometimes things would get broken. But this the trade off you make when you have pets. For the most part it is just stuff.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat is just being a cat. When my cat knocks something over or chews something up, I take responsibility for it because I chose where to leave that object, knowing that cats will be cats. They are like children, we are the grown ups. We chose to keep them in our homes and have to adjust accordingly. If you have a baby, you baby proof your home by covering the light fixtures. Living creatures are always more valuable than stuff.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been there.
I felt bad, cleaned it up, and moved on. My cat didn't mean to break it, didn't know "the value," and was thus innocent of all but uber-enthusiasm for play.

Sometimes I marvel and the grace and elegance of feline movement, capable of walking and even jumping over fine china and not moving a thing. Other times... well, that was one of those other times.