What would you do? Vets can't find a problem

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, what's his name? Is it going to give him an identity crisis if he's a girl?

Well obviously his/her genital area is ambiguous at best, if this other vet also can't tell. Keep us posted! This is really a fascinating case.

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread is fascinating! 2coolcats, whatever the outcome, I hope your poor kitty will get relief and feel better.

I can't wait for you to post the test results! Inquiring minds want to know.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is akin to sitting in a waiting room waiting for the news; is it a girl, or a boy?!?

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok here's the latest....no news! Lol

We are going to have the surgery done. They will look at the organs and if he/she is a girl they can spay her and only charge us for 1 surgery. We (my fiancee and I) think this is the better move as opposed to having the hormone testing, only to tell us what we think you all figured out for us. Only bad part is that his/her surgery isn't until Oct. 11.

Willowy---LOL I wondered the same thing! I sure feel bad for saying "my little boy" all this time now that I'm pretty sure she's a girl, I hope she won't resent me
. His name was Jackson and now we are trying to commit Jacqueline to memory....FH calls her Jacqueline Kitty ONassis

Anyway, I'm really thankful for TCS. You all have been a tremendous help!

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK so kitty went to the vet this AM.

SHE IS A GIRL! Officially! The vet was 100% sure but we asked for testing just to be on the safe side.
She is not spayed and has been going into heat. Apparently it's not uncommon for some cats to have very little or no discharge.

His name was Jackson but now we are going to call her Jacqueline.

I am so relieved to have some end to this. It was such a stressful situation to not know what is wrong and not be able to help. A HUGE thank you to you all who tipped me off about this!

On the other hand-the vet was VERY concerned that the original vet did not pick this up. I plan on calling my vet, informing them of the situation and asking for at least part of my money back. I find it hard to believe that several x-rays, temperature takings, urine analysiseseses (lol), blood work, etc. would not have caught the fact that this was a female. I feel taken advantage of and the new vet agreed. What do you all think?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray for a 100% positive report pn her being a girl! I think you should just keep her name. You'd always have a story to tell! Did you go ahead and schedule a spay for her?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His name was Jackson but now we are going to call her Jacqueline

sweet thats my name

Very sad all the money/time/cats life when in heat...all cause a vet didnt realize this and all the testing...Glad it all turned out ok in the end! hopefully this will be a good wakeup call for the last vet.
At least shes fixed now tho...in more ways then one

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Hooray for a 100% positive report pn her being a girl! I think you should just keep her name. You'd always have a story to tell! Did you go ahead and schedule a spay for her?
Yes we got the next available appt. for her to be spayed! And everyone else I tell the story to seems much more amused than I am...hopefully i won't be quite as upset as time goes on.

bex__

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a bit late to this thread, but I am in total shock that the vet missed this. My first thought on reading this post was "She's in heat!" and then I realized you said it was a boy.

Please let us know what your old vet does to make this situation right... It seems to me this may of been a case where the vet said BOY, only to realize it was a girl during testing, but was too embarrassed to admit it.

Glad she is OK and I think Jackson is still a great name for a girl!

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy that all is 'exposed' now and little Jackson is now known as Jacqueline!!! A compromise in name could be....Jackie....

I would certainly inform your former Vet as to the true sex of Jacqueline. I wouldn't expect any response or apology...but at least you know that you did the right thing.
What I'd be thinking also...why did your former Vet think that Jacqueline was backed up? Was she really backed up..or was that another misdiagnosis by an inept Vet???
I hope that unneeded enamas don't lead to any problems down the road.

I'm sure that you're most happy that your cat is properly diagnosed and spayed and will not go through such uncomfortableness anymore.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but oftentimes if a cat happens to be a hermaphrodite - owning both sexes - if they are not desexed properly they end up with a WORLD of troubles. It is extremely uncomfortable for the poor babies.