what would you do now?

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I don't know if this is the right place to post this (mammoth post).

I don't know what to do and am looking for some advice. I will try not to ramble...but I feel like the boring (long) story gives a good explanation as to why I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what to do next.

I purchased a purebred OSH kitten from a breeder (I wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t post anything that would easily identify this person) some months ago as a little friend to our rescue cat. I found the breeder on a well known cat association site, she had a website too and had won many prizes in shows for her cats. She ran her breeding operation from her home, there were pictures of the environment and the cats/ kittens as well as information about health guarantees etc.

I called her to chat and found her to be very, very nice and knowledgeable. I reserved a female and she asked that I just stay in touch with her over the coming months. She didn't want a deposit and said the kitten would be ready to go at 12 weeks & $600 CAD. She promised to send a picture of the kitten. I stayed in touch with her, she never sent me a picture despite my requests and always cited being to busy, losing her camera cord etc.

When I called to arrange a time to collect the kitten, she apologized and said the kittens were unwell and on medication for a skin complaint. She asked if I would like her to have the kitten spayed before we picked it up, we agreed that if I could wait 2 weeks or so that she would do this and I would collect a healthy, spayed kitten. OK, so the next time I called she said she still wasn't happy for the kitten to leave. The next time I called her she said the kitten wasn't socialized and would I like a friendly boy instead. I conceded and we agreed I would pick him up two weeks later (neutered).

We made the 4 hour drive to her city. Her home was beautiful, there were lots of friendly happy cats and kittens all over the place. Our kitten was in a mesh play cot, she said she had bathed him and shampooed him because some of her cats had had a fungal infection and she wanted to be sure he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have any spores on his fur. Alarm bells should have rung. I was blindsided, he was so beautiful, he had a couple of rough patches on his ear and nose and she said they would disappear soon and were a result of his skin complaint. She wormed him and gave us his vet papers too. She took us to a room where we saw his mum and the other kittens. Anyway, I paid her (cash) and she told me to keep $100 for our first vet visit, she then advised he was still intact. I was a bit peeved but still wanted to take him. I asked her about his papers and she said she would forward all that to me, including some information about his parents.

We got him home. The next day I took him to the vet who took a really good look at him and asked me to call the breeder and ask if the skin complaint was ringworm. I called her. It was. He had ringworm. I thought ringworm was a parasite. The breeder told me she didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think he had it and that if he did have any lesions, I could put a q-tip with a diluted bleach solution on them. Obviously I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t do this.

The breeder offered to take him back a few days later after I had sent her an email (I was too upset to call her). In effect she said I should wait 10 days and someone would come and get him- she was away and at shows. This didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seem like a solution. I said I would keep him but said I was very upset and hoped we could continue a dialogue to resolve the situation.

Thus ensued months of grueling lime sulfur dips, medication ($), quarantine, cleaning and stress.

I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t hear from her. After 7 weeks he was healed and I contacted her to advise he was well and asked her if she would pay his vet bills. She indicated she would (although didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t explicitly say she would), she asked for my address (I assumed to send a cheque). I waited, Nothing. A month later I emailed her again. She said she had been busy and would send something. I waited, Nothing. So far nothing, it's been a couple of months now. The vet bills were about $650, I feel cheated – I spent months treating this. It consumed my life. The vet bills were only the start of the costs we incurred (duct cleaning, clothing etc. ruined by bleach etc., etc.).

I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what to do now. I feel like she is ignoring me and telling me what I want to hear with no intention of following through. I do not want to ruin this womanâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s reputation but it is clear to me all her cats have ringworm and she is still breeding and selling kittens and taking infected cats to shows.

What would you do?
(thanks for listening btw)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about this bad experience and it makes the good/caring breeders being put in a bad light....one bad apple.....

But unless things are in writing, verbal means little. What kind of contract did you get with the kitten? That should have stated it was healthy - if not, then the kitten should have been returned (or whatever compensation was in the contract). Most contracts say "healthy at the time of sale....etc."

Obviously the kitten was not. And that's the trouble. Most of us would have declined the kitten no matter how cute, etc. Your kitten is healthy now and you love him.

You could send a certified letter to her with a copy of the bill for treatment and tell her that she has 30 days to reimburse you for the vet bill or you will take her to small claims court.

Contracts protect both the buyer and the seller!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you might run into issues seeing as she did offer to take the kitten back, and you declined.

buttercup29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would contact the breeder association and speak to them as well as sending her a registered letter with a clear indication of what you expect of her to do for you including paying the vet bills. Did you keep all the emails she sent to you?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In your situation the breeder's offers to take the cat back is like betting on the fact you won't want to give back a well loved pet that you have bonded to, statistically speaking the large majority of pet people would decline to give the kitten back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to have gotten a response. Thanks to everyone.

To confirm, I adore my kitten. The first few months were so tough but he is wonderful and although I have regrets, he was worth it.

I didn't have a physical contract (groan)- although I was promised one, she made a lot of promises that passed by the wayside. Everything however, was put in writing in the email exchanges we had - which I still have.

"We guarantee that the kitten leaves the house free of disease or illness"
"all cats are ringworm and parasite free"
"All cats are leukemia and FIV negative and no cat comes in to join us or for breeding unless tested negative".

I know I was naive to not insist on a contract when I picked him up. We are in Canada though and things are much more relaxed here. People naturally trust each other. I am originally from England - where we are all naturally suspicious of each other and I think I over compensated for that and made a huge error in judgment.

I technically have an admission of guilt and a promise for reimbursement from her - although this is all in email.

I recognize she did offer to take the kitten back but I would have had to keep hold of him for about 10 days before she would have collected him. Was I expected to just shut him away in a room, not treat his condition and wait for her to come get him?

Due to distance (8 hour round trip drive) it would have meant taking more time off work for me to take him back to her - I appreciate I could have done this though... TBH. By the time I had had him 2 days I could not have returned him. Silly and sentimental.

The vet pointed out to me that if she has a ringworm problem in her home and isn't treating it then I would be almost certainly sending him back into a bad environment.

I sent her copies of my vet bills already by email but maybe sending a physical letter is the next step - thanks for the advice.

The irony is that when I looked up her City's breeder association (when I was thinking of reporting her) she is the contact person for correspondence!!!!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm from Canada too. I do believe we may be relaxed up here, but getting a contract is really important. I'm sure in the future you'll be better informed after going through this. I think though, that the email correspondance should be enough for you to contact a lawyer and ask for damages incurred through small claims court?

You can say that she did offer to take the kitten back, but ringworm is pretty serious. Just having the kitten in your home would entail a massive cleaning and disinfecting effort. Regardless of whether the kitten stayed or not, she should be responsible if she knowingly sent you a diseased kitten. responsible not only in refunding you the kitten price, but also for the cleaning and vet bills.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once bought a pet (for more money than you listed for your new kitten) that I later found out had defects that would cost at least 500 dollars in extra surgery to fix. A key point to me being they were fixable and minor and didn't effective life span as long as one in particular was fixed. I loved the pet, thought the pet was great in all ways that count so I just let it go. I did get a small amount back (18-20%). Since I was overall very happy with the pet it really wasn't worth the trouble to me. And no, I am very far from rich, it is just sometimes money isn't worth all the time, effort, drama, etc. I would rather focus on positive things and move on. It was a learning experience.
I cannot advise you on what to do in your situation, as everyone is different. All I can do is share my experience.

I am sorry that happened to you with your cat. And I personally think it is not fair for the breeder to expect you to give a pet kitten you like back at any point in order for a refund or replacement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm from Canada too. I do believe we may be relaxed up here, but getting a contract is really important. I'm sure in the future you'll be better informed after going through this.
I hope you didn't take what I said offensively, I love it in Canada, it's a breath of fresh air. I guess I was just trying to explain my lapse in judgment. I am normally really vigilant. There is no way this would ever happen again.

You can say that she did offer to take the kitten back, but ringworm is pretty serious. Just having the kitten in your home would entail a massive cleaning and disinfecting effort. Regardless of whether the kitten stayed or not, she should be responsible if she knowingly sent you a diseased kitten. responsible not only in refunding you the kitten price, but also for the cleaning and vet bills.
It was a nightmare and we have another cat (long haired) and she knew that as well. Luckily the other one didn't catch it.
I thought I was being really reasonable by only asking her for the vet bills.

It's such a shame I had hoped to stay in contact with her and maybe even show my pet kitten at some cat shows, but it has totally put me off, especially as she said the ringworm came home with her from a cat show.

I once bought a pet (for more money than you listed for your new kitten) that I later found out had defects that would cost at least 500 dollars in extra surgery to fix. A key point to me being they were fixable and minor and didn't effective life span as long as one in particular was fixed. I loved the pet, thought the pet was great in all ways that count so I just let it go. I did get a small amount back (18-20%). Since I was overall very happy with the pet it really wasn't worth the trouble to me. And no, I am very far from rich, it is just sometimes money isn't worth all the time, effort, drama, etc. I would rather focus on positive things and move on. It was a learning experience.
I cannot advise you on what to do in your situation, as everyone is different. All I can do is share my experience.

I am sorry that happened to you with your cat. And I personally think it is not fair for the breeder to expect you to give a pet kitten you like back at any point in order for a refund or replacement.
And you are right. Ringworm is fixable and the only lasting damage is that if I even see a flake of dandruff on him now I freak out.

It's just when something ruins what should have been a great experience it leaves a scar. She can't give me back the hours I spent cleaning the house and bathing the kit. The money won't eliviate the stress but I think it would be a show on her part that she is sorry and that her actions were wrong. She has never even really apologized.

Just my opinion though.

I'll get writing that letter!

Thanks for the kind words of support and advice from everyone.