What would you do if you won the lottery?.

weatherlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...VegFam? Food For Life? Food Not Bombs? People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals? Korea Animal Protection Society?

I agree wholeheartedly with http://people.brandeis.edu/~teuber/singermag.html - The law recognizing a resource as your "property" does not entitle one to act in a way that kills others (or lets die).

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems." -Gandhi

Although, of course, I am very selfish, so I might build that little solar-powered house in Arizona or wherever with catwalks everywhere and catproof fencing all around it ^^

BTW, while I never understood some humans' desire to sit on a plane for hours when you could be just as happy at home (unless you wouldn't be just as happy at home--ie someone close had to move away and you want to be near them again), I honestly don't see what's great about Korea. Except for the PC bhangs, but many major cities have tons of them too. Some things are the same everywhere...cities of humans (way too many of them), cars, buildings, smog, and so on, and rural areas of desert, forest, mountains, or whatever.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would buy my parents' house from them and lease it back to them, for $1 per year (this would be a tax break for them and me). I would buy/build a house for Mark, Sam and the babies, set up trust funds for the twins, buy a piece of land and build the Victorian house of my dreams, hire someone to scoop litter boxes, buy my best friend Katie's house and property and let her live there forever and book a round-the-world cruise.

The hard part would be teaching Bill how to goof off. He's been working, since he was a little kid and doesn't know how NOT to work.

grampngram

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
katl8e:

Buy him a set of golf clubs and send him my way. Goofing off comes naturally after that.

Jeff

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had this thought a while ago, and I've made up my mind: WHEN I win the lottery, I'll buy a house in the country with a huge (fenced) yard, and get 4, maybe 5 dogs. A standard poodle (female), a rough collie (female), a giant schnauzer (male) and a great dane (male)... and if there's any room left, an alaskan malamute (prob. male, too.). I only met one malamute, and he was nearly as big as I was! I was working as a volunteer groomer with the Montreal SPCA, and he was the first dog I ever groomed there. Took him out of his cage, brought him to the grooming room, and started brushing about 10 lbs of undercoat out. He got so comfortable that he stretched out on the floor with his head in my lap and fell asleep!!
Man I hope that dog found a good home. What a sweetheart!!

I'd foster animals for the local humane society, and donate whatever money is left over to shelters and other humanitarian causes.

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I won the lottery.....hmmmmmm
First thing I would do is give a very large sum of it to help my Mom so she wouldn't have to worry about anything ever again. My Brothers and Sister would then get some to help them out also. Then I would pay for all 4 of my granchildren to go to college. As for the rest well Ken and I would have a larger home with lots of room for cats and dogs. I would also like to buy the local HS so they wouldn't have to PTS anymore animals. I guess then all of the money would be spent and I would be working again

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing I would do is pay off my own debt. Then I would pay off my parents house and cars, then tell both of them that they never have to work again. It's the least I can do since they supported me growing up. Then take my mother on an extended vacation (my Dad doesn't like to travel much so he could spend the time picking out some nice farm land to settle on.)

After that I would buy a modest home in the country but not too far from the city with a large barn that I would turn into a no kill cat shelter. I would open up pet store with daytime pet care in order to hopefully offset the cost of the animal shelter.

After that I would pay for my Cousin DD's schooling and set up a trust fund for her nephews for education. I would also offer to pay for her boyfriend's education and buy the poor boy a brand new drum set. (They've been going out for nearly six years and will sooner or later get married they just haven't made it offical yet.)

Whatever was left I'd invest and hope that I wouldn't run out of money. Needless to say, I need to win a lot of money.