What would you consider emergency situation for vet visit?

Mini-mimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet has an emergency visit of $90 instead of usual $60.
I might of hastily brought my kitten to the vet.
(he was limping,lethargic, bite on leg and seem to be shaking)
My parents said there was no need and just let him rest. But after I had a dog that I put of an itchy ear which turned to meningitis infection it’s has me worried for my pets and suddenly turning into a big vet bill for some infection which could of been prevented.
I’m asking what would you consider “emergency” or something that could wait for a couple days for an opening.
would this have been fine if I waited a few days?
He’s only like 8 months old

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If that happened to my cat I would be willing to pay an extra $30. All of those symptoms are reason for alarm. Mostly the limping and shaking. Possibly bacterial infection and temp. How was he bitten? Hope he's OK. Update?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
To me, as mentioned, the lethargy and shaking after a bite wound could have indicated a serious infection, so in this case I would have wanted a vet to look at him, especially with a cat younger than a year since their immune systems aren't fully developed.

Otherwise for example, a limp by itself with no bite, just a sprain, can sometimes just require rest and quiet time.

A bite wound, a cat that stops eating, litterbox changes, behavior changes that can't be explained --these are things that typically need an appointment fairly quickly.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mini-mimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If that happened to my cat I would be willing to pay an extra $30. All of those symptoms are reason for alarm. Mostly the limping and shaking. Possibly bacterial infection and temp. How was he bitten? Hope he's OK. Update?
Seems he was bitten a few days ago. The vet noticed a wound on his leg that had already scabbed up and closed. But now it’s become swollen. And she said sometimes infections come after a bite. It might seem sudden if you don’t notice the bite marks especially he’s a little bit fluffy (he honestly seemed fine the previous days until this afternoon when he was limping and shaking). He also had a temp so was given an antibiotic injection and pain relief injection and some pain relief for the next few days. He’s just sleeping it off now so should be better in a few days.

On how he was bitten. Not sure. He’s been catching mice recently might of been from that. The vet also said it’s the season and some cats in heat. So maybe nearby cats in the street might of picked on him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You definitely did the right thing by bringing him to the vet. As the above members posted, all those symptoms are worrisome and require a vet visit for medical treatment. Regarding what stipulates an emergency visit there are many things, e.g. not eating, not urinating, unable to walk, etc. One time we went to the emergency vet at night because our cat somehow got into the bathroom garbage and ate the packaging of a panti liner. :eek:

I'm glad he got an antibiotic and pain relief injection. Please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In your situation, yes I'd consider it an emergency. I have a good relationship with my vet, so I typically will call and explain the situation. They are usually good with either fitting me in, telling me it can wait or letting me know to go to pet ER. My non medical opinion is as follows and generally fits into what would I do if it was a human.

See vet in few days, make an appointment but can wait unless it gets worse. Cancel appointment if the issue resolves before:
  • Non-specific, mommy cat senses are tingling.
  • Known problem that you have treatment knowledge on and could get better with home treatment.
  • Cat is eating but eating less than normal.
  • Cat is drinking but drinking less than normal.
  • Cat seems slightly lethargic with no other symptoms.
  • Scabbed over scratch that is not swollen, red or leaking fluids AND I know the cause AND the cat in question is known to not get infected wounds.
  • Small lumps that are not noticably growing.
  • Limp that comes and goes.
  • Blood in stool once but no other instances.
  • Slightly loose stool.
Needs to see vet within next 24-48 hours, emergency appointment if my vet doesn't have opening in day or two or seek pet emergency clinic:
  • Kittens under 6 months old for any above category items. Kittens go downhill fast so I don't wait on any medical concerns with them.
  • Wound that is leaking fluid/pus but no fever (cat is eating and drinking if no thermometer), redness, swelling beyond wound or bleeding.
  • Unknown lump that is growing rapidly.
  • Cat refuses to eat normal food but will lap up blended food, liquids and/or treats.
  • Has been limping for more than a few hours.
  • Scratch of unknown origin on cat known to get infections.
  • Vomiting 2-3 times within 24 hours with no other symptoms.
  • Diarrhea (can walk around house but when using box).
  • Ear injuries.
  • Cat is sleeping significantly more than normal but is getting up to use litter box and eat.
  • Cat was missing for a few days and looks skinny upon return.
Emergency, see as quickly as possible when identified:
  • Kitten under 12 weeks old.
  • Active bleeding from wound that doesn't stop after a few minutes.
  • Known or suspected animal bites (trauma around wound, infections, illness, rabies risk).
  • Cat refuses to eat or drink.
  • Suspected broken bones or inability to put any weight on a limb.
  • Cat refuses to walk or move around on own.
  • Vomiting blood or frequent vomiting in short period of time.
  • Constant diarrhea or inability to control bowels.
  • Anything that indicates head trauma (pupils won't dilate, bump on head, bleeding from eyes or ears, bloody nose, etc).
  • Eye injuries.
  • Cat was missing for a few days and returns with visible injury of any sort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mini-mimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In your situation, yes I'd consider it an emergency. I have a good relationship with my vet, so I typically will call and explain the situation. They are usually good with either fitting me in, telling me it can wait or letting me know to go to pet ER. My non medical opinion is as follows and generally fits into what would I do if it was a human.

See vet in few days, make an appointment but can wait unless it gets worse. Cancel appointment if the issue resolves before:
  • Non-specific, mommy cat senses are tingling.
  • Known problem that you have treatment knowledge on and could get better with home treatment.
  • Cat is eating but eating less than normal.
  • Cat is drinking but drinking less than normal.
  • Cat seems slightly lethargic with no other symptoms.
  • Scabbed over scratch that is not swollen, red or leaking fluids AND I know the cause AND the cat in question is known to not get infected wounds.
  • Small lumps that are not noticably growing.
  • Limp that comes and goes.
  • Blood in stool once but no other instances.
  • Slightly loose stool.
Needs to see vet within next 24-48 hours, emergency appointment if my vet doesn't have opening in day or two or seek pet emergency clinic:
  • Kittens under 6 months old for any above category items. Kittens go downhill fast so I don't wait on any medical concerns with them.
  • Wound that is leaking fluid/pus but no fever (cat is eating and drinking if no thermometer), redness, swelling beyond wound or bleeding.
  • Unknown lump that is growing rapidly.
  • Cat refuses to eat normal food but will lap up blended food, liquids and/or treats.
  • Has been limping for more than a few hours.
  • Scratch of unknown origin on cat known to get infections.
  • Vomiting 2-3 times within 24 hours with no other symptoms.
  • Diarrhea (can walk around house but when using box).
  • Ear injuries.
  • Cat is sleeping significantly more than normal but is getting up to use litter box and eat.
  • Cat was missing for a few days and looks skinny upon return.
Emergency, see as quickly as possible when identified:
  • Kitten under 12 weeks old.
  • Active bleeding from wound that doesn't stop after a few minutes.
  • Known or suspected animal bites (trauma around wound, infections, illness, rabies risk).
  • Cat refuses to eat or drink.
  • Suspected broken bones or inability to put any weight on a limb.
  • Cat refuses to walk or move around on own.
  • Vomiting blood or frequent vomiting in short period of time.
  • Constant diarrhea or inability to control bowels.
  • Anything that indicates head trauma (pupils won't dilate, bump on head, bleeding from eyes or ears, bloody nose, etc).
  • Eye injuries.
  • Cat was missing for a few days and returns with visible injury of any sort.
Thank you so much. This is very helpful information

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On top of the above VERY Excellent advice, I add only the following:

If I'm concerned, I call the vet and let them tell me if it's an emergency or something that can wait or something just to monitor and calm back in x days if not resolved. I trust my vet and staff and they haven't been wrong yet.

Somethings are dependant: For example, Calcifer stopped eating on a Friday evening. They had him in Saturday, because they were going to be closed Sunday and didn't want me to go to the emergency hospital (triple the cost). The vet said, had it been earlier in the week, she would not have had me in until around 48 hours if it didn't resolve on its own. If she didn't have me in, and it didn't resolv, it would have been an emergency by Sunday. My vet made the call that was most respectful to both Calcifer and my pocketbook.