What Would The Harvey Deluge Look Like In Your Area?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
5.5 feet at my house. And it would all be in my basement, no doubt.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
My house would have 6.6 ft of water. My parents wouldn't have any though. They live on a big hill.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4.2 feet, it says.

I can't imagine how awful it would be. Everybody has basements so those would be full. The dirt here is thick and clay-ey, good for growing corn but it sticks to your shoes something fierce. So that would be a mess, no vehicles could get through or anything. We've had localized flooding before but you could just avoid that area. If it were more widespread it would be terrible.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We live on a hill and we'd have 0 feet of water here, but one mile down the hill from us, the shopping center would be 15-20 feet under. Holy cow! :eek2: I can't even imagine that.

That's very interesting, thanks for posting.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It says 4 feet for my house. We have extremely sandy soil. I've only ever seen "urban" flooding and some roads under water around farm fields; but usually just the shoulder or a few feet into one lane.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
4.2 feet, it says.

I can't imagine how awful it would be. Everybody has basements so those would be full. The dirt here is thick and clay-ey, good for growing corn but it sticks to your shoes something fierce. So that would be a mess, no vehicles could get through or anything. We've had localized flooding before but you could just avoid that area. If it were more widespread it would be terrible.
We don't have basements here in south Texas. We use our garages to put stuff in. The majority of us have two-car garages. I don't remember the last time one of our cars was in the garage. The motorcycles are always kept in the garage, though. The ground water table is awfully high to put in a basement. It would be wet all the time.

The dirt here is what we call gumbo, which has very large pockets of virtually impermeable black clay. The only thing to do with it is to dig it out. It's tough stuff and it simply won't absorb water. That adds to the flooding problems.

We get minor flooding of side roads and most of the underpasses whenever it rains more than 1/2", so we're used to that, but this is beyond comprehension.