What would cause a cat to act ill and then go back to normal once he left a certain area?

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long story short I just gave my cat up for adoption. He was being cared for by a family member because I was unable to due to my living arrangements.

Last august he got bitten up badly by fleas which wasn't 100% percent their fault but it almost killed him. He did well until earlier this year, when he began acting sick. I took him to the vet and informed him he appeared to be normal all the sudden. They did an exam and he was fine. It happened again after finding ticks and a baby cockroach on him so this time I took to the local humane society and surrendered him. Once again as soon as I got him in the exam room he began rubbing on me, had energy and seemed happy whereas before he was hiding, barely eating and drinking and didn't want to be touched much. I feel bad but I just want to make sure he is taken care of properly.

Any idea what causes this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be the ticks, fleas and cockroaches, but I'm also thinking there may have been something else he was coming into contact with that was causing problems. It is very commendable of you to be so strong.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats often perk up, so to speak, at the vet's office. It might be adrenalin, interest in new surroundings, unfamiliar scents. I agree that you are very brave to have given him up in hopes that he will have a better life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I made the right decision. Just woke up from a dream where I found the cat in my old house and picked him up, hugging him tight while balling my eyes out. All I could say is I thought you were gone.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oooh, that's so very very hard. but on the other hand, sometimes people who have dreams like this wonder if it was a way to let them know their best friend is ok :redheartpump::redheartpump::rbheart::redheartpump::redheartpump::hugs: