What Works Well For Constipation In Cats?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ronit

Thanks Yosemite ! Sorry to sound so negative but we are limited in options here...
i always feel jealous that you have so many things to choose from in USA !
You didn't sound so much negative as frustrated to me. JennyRansom used to live in Yugoslavia and now lives in France, JCat is in Germany as is Fwan so hopefully one of them will chime in here.

But, I'm not from the USA - I'm from Canada which is very different in some ways but similar in others such as the choice of foods available.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Steer clear of the mineral oil--it's no longer recommended. It is so light that it is easy for a cat to aspirate (suck it into their lungs) it instead of swallowing it.

From this site: http://marvistavet.com/html/constipa...megacolon.html

"An old fashioned remedy has been the oral administration of mineral oil. It is best to avoid this temptation as mineral oil, being a light fluid without flavor, is easily inhaled accidentally into the respiratory tract. Since it is a mineral based compound, it cannot ever be removed by the body and the immune system will forever attempt to wall it off with inflammatory granulomas."
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Mineral oil (liquid paraffin) should not be used, because it can easily be aspirated and cause pneumonia. If given regularly, it may also interfere with the absorption of nutrients. Merck Veterinary Manual explains more about this.
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....ation_cautions
I know this got posted twice in this thread alone, but it's something worth remembering. Another good example of why we should talk to our vets when something is wrong. We can all give you examples of our own experiences and ideas for minor issues, but if in doubt about your pet's condition, the best advice is that given by a qualified vet.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found a way to make my cat drink more water, he loves grass so i chop a few pices in the bowl and i've noticed that he drinks more !
I've changed his diet from breekies dry food special care for urinary tract to waltham mature for neutered and i am waiting for my order of hairball prescription diet, vet reccomended to try.
I am also giving a little bit more of wet food, but as i said before, there are not such a good quality, anyway, he only licks the juice and soft pate pieces, he always preferred dry food.
This has been for a week and I am monitoring the litter box... he is going every other day, and looks better. I wish he could go everyday like my other cats....

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my cat Rebby started having his constipation problems my vet recommended sprinkling a little Metamucil in his canned food. She said to sprinkle it like salt so I would put it in a salt shaker and just sprinkle a little in his food. Of course I used the unflavored and it did help him stay regular.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I am still reading food posts... is all about this cat going every other day instead of daily as the others and having those constipations...
I tried the intestinal can from eukanuba, he hated it (I do not blame him it smells awfull)

The only way to keep him "regular" going every other day is on a wet food diet wich I am not crazy about because there is really no good wet cat food here... so I've been reading some posts and that a low carb - no grain diet might help constipation because there is less residue?

I got a contact for someone that supposely distribuites Orijen in Greece, I will try and contact them tomorrow... I do hope they could help me, I do want to try this food and see if with it he will go every day...

It is very stressful to run and check the litterbox all the time ..

If anyone thinks that Orijen will be good for him let me know !

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First make sure he isn't obstructed. You do not want to give laxatives to a cat that has a bowel obstruction or twisted bowel.

My previous vet and the one I currently use suggested 1/8 teaspoon of plain metamucil mixed into wet food once per day. Usually one dose will do it

Also wet food along with proper hydration will help prevent constipation. My vet suggested mixing the wet food with a few tablespoons of water in order to Chynna some additional fluids in addition to what she drinks normally.