What Will Their Kittens Look Like?

kittycat93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Daniel (pictured below, the orange tabby) knocked up my neighbor’s cat Annie (looks like the other cat below).

What will their kittens look like?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycat93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know what their color code symbols are?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure on color genetics, and it's harder to say without knowing their family history.

Do you and your neighbor plan to spay and neuter your cats? Daniel should be neutered now, and not allowed outside for a month after. He could be mating with cats all over the neighborhood.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Red from males is heritable. So is mackerel tabby.
Point and diluted need support from dad. So kittens may exhibit this but prob will not.
Kittens will thus get black and white from momma.

Spotted tabby is a strong gene but mackerel is even stronger I think.

Also much depends if they are heterozygot or homozygotes on these key genes.
Its only mommas point gene and diluted genes whom are for sure homozygotes here in her, but both are recessive so it wont help us much.

Kittens will be male red tabbies, black tuxedo or brown tabbies, females torties or tuxedo or brown tabbies.
Half of kittens will carry white prob as mommas pattern.

Something like that.

@lutece is good in color hereditary.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There won't be any red kittens unless mama is a tortie point (you say she looks like that cat, so that isn't actually the mama, right?). Do you have any pictures of her specifically?

All females will be tortie/calico, all males will be dark colored, pointed or not. About half the kittens will be pointed (born white so you'll know right away). They'll all probably be tabby or tabby pointed (solid is possible though). They may or may not have any white on them.

Yes, be sure to neuter the papa cat right away! I don't know how many paternity suits you want to handle ;).