What were you in High School?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was watching a program the other night about high school reunions and old friends. They were talking about their "labels" in high school and it got me to thinking back. I was a nerdy bookworm in high school. How about you?

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was....ummm...well I wasnt really a label per say.... I was the girl who kept to herself, except when w/ friends......

I was the "Minding her own business" label.....

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was totally a nerd. But I was also pretty (then...lol) and good academically which, at my school, was a plus, so I wasn't one of those outcast nerds that is usually the case.

Even still, I didn't always have the best of times at school. I was pretty annoying back then...lol

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a group of friends with whom I spent most of my time, and we didn't much care what others thought. We were all too well known, though. If we had been in an earlier generation, we would have probably been called hippies, and still were by some, but were considered rather as kind nonconformists, sort of.

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To answer the Q, I was one who was mostly looking in from the outside. Kind of a nerd, but not one of those smarty nerds. Hated math, (and we didn't know what a computer was back then). Didn't participate in much. Just went to the required classes and then left quickly for work. Lotsa work. Too much work. Never attended a game on Saturdays either. Worked.

Then the 10 year reunion came around. I had some warning about the reunion, since I headed it up
So when the big day came, we all had a couple of evenings to talk about things then and 10 yrs. before. Seemed they all remembered that I was very smart and garnered a big scholarship (I wasn't and didn't - was actually 420th out of 525 in my class). They also remembered that I attended most everything social (I didn't do that either), and that I was involved in school sports (I avoided those). My recollection of others was a bit off too, I'll admit.

The popular kids were mostly failures, and visa-versa. Those who were reckless and dangerous were still that way. The average kids were still remarkably average. Just one of life's lessons.

We passed over the 30-year reunion for some reason. I'll get back to you when we have the 50th.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a very small group of "select" friends. Each of them was unique in their own very special way - I didn't much care for the girls who trotted around in high heels and make-up like it was a fashion show. Most of them weren't the brightest buttons in the box! My friends consisted of a couple of skater "dudes" - but ice-skaters; a girl who was only 3 foot 9, but had a personality bigger than the entire year put together; a guy and a girl I'd known since we were all years old; and a few of the science nerds who were actually eally good fun to know! We were the oddballs that didn't fit in with the other clics, but fitted really well as a little group of our own
and I woudln't change a thing! Actually - I'm still in regular contact with one of those skater dudes and we even dated for a while at one point a few years ago!! He's a real sweetheart when it comes to his friends. He was delighted when I named my son Alex - he thought that I'd named him after him (truth be told there was a little bit of that because he'd helped me soooo much while I was pregnant) so I just let him carry on with being thrilled! He's a funny soul!

All in all I was a bit of an oddball - did the work I needed to, but could be really strange if I wanted to.

I love to look back on school years now and see where a lot of people are - I have to be really honest that I find great enjoyment in seeing how screwed up the lives of my bullies are now. They had it all in school - or at least they thought they did - they had no problems in rubbing that in peoples faces and being ruthlessly cruel at times.... I find it amusing that they should be the first to walk up to you in a bar and make with the nicey nicey talk.

I felt really deliciously horrible one night when I was out - I was stood at a bar minding my own business when one of the girls who had tortured me something rotten every year I was at school, came up to me and started with the nice talk "Ooo hi, remember me? What happened to you - what are you doing? You look soooo good these days!" - I looked her up and down, noted the weight, the unwashed hair and the acne, looked up and said (pretty much how I looked in high school!!) "yeah.... what happened to you?" Then I walked off. It felt good to get revenge. Sweet are 4-5 years....

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had moved and in 9th grade was in a new school, one that the guidance counselors told me on admission the kids were clicky since they had all been together since kindergarten

I ended up in the non-group group...none of us were jocks, we were all in the advanced track classes, some of us were poor, some very well off, rest middle class, one psychic, one poet (me), one super talented musician, one semi hippy rebel...just a neat little group

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
At my first High School I'd known most of the people since Nursery so was pretty popular and got on with everyone. I moved to Scotland when I was 14 and it was so hard at first, I have no problem making friends, I just made the wrong ones. They are now all either on drugs or have a couple of kids, or both...
When I realised this was the direction these girls were heading I soon found girls I got on with so much better. Once I broke away from this other group I was given no end of a abuse and was known to them as a total 'bitch' but I didnt really care.
Once I found my feet with my really great, mixed group of friends I could be myself. So I was known as being a bit silly, fun, loud mouthed on occasion, a terrible flirt aswell.
I didn't realise at the time but our group was really the biggest 'group' in the year, had the most people, who stuck together most of the time.
I loved everyone and wish I still kept in touch with them all.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I ended up in the non-group group...none of us were jocks, we were all in the advanced track classes, some of us were poor, some very well off, rest middle class, one psychic, one poet (me), one super talented musician, one semi hippy rebel...just a neat little group
I was pretty much in the non-group group too!! We would accept all the new girls unless they were known by the 'trendy' group!

But I did end up getting bullied by most of the people in the group and ended up with one of the best friends I could ever have - it became a group of just two Sarahs!!

The trendy group will always remember me for being cheeky - to them and the teachers - yet always getting away with it!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was quiet and shy and was teased and maed fun of for being "fat." (I was 4'11 and weighed 100 pounds...yeah, that's right--100 pounds." I developed anorexia and lost weight, but I was never accepted. Some people HATED me and my twin. They started a rumor that we were gay, since we were twins.
It was MISERABLE!
I find great satisfaction in hearing that some of the really popular girls are now obese, divorced, etc.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

I was quiet and shy and was teased and maed fun of for being "fat." (I was 4'11 and weighed 100 pounds...yeah, that's right--100 pounds." I developed anorexia and lost weight, but I was never accepted. Some people HATED me and my twin. They started a rumor that we were gay, since we were twins.
It was MISERABLE!
I find great satisfaction in hearing that some of the really popular girls are now obese, divorced, etc.
You had 'fun' at school too then!

It's so good to hear about the popular girls (and my ex friends) not being what they thought they were!!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

It was MISERABLE!
Thats is so sad and I sometimes get so shocked at the way kids treated each other, and the way they treat each other now aswell. I got hassle at school when I left that 'group' but it was just stupid stuff. I was very unaware of other things that went on while I was at school. It takes a few years for your brain to register it I think.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was the ultimate band nerd...who is now engaged to his high school's star athlete
. Go figure!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a theatre nerd, science nerd( in the science club we called our selfs nerds anonomous!!
)
i was like by pretty much everyone though. i had a really good time. There were only a few kids who i didnt get a long with and i really didnt care.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was what the guidance councelors called an anomoly. No one could figure me out. I was in all honors classes, got straight A's, graduated 2 years early, but was a major druggie. I hung out with people older that were already out of school (they could buy beer) and of the few people I hung out my age, most have had violent deaths since graduation - one murdered, one shot by a policeman, others overdosed. The ones that are still alive were mostly the band nerds (they were creative people).

When I went back to my 10 year reunion, I had guys hitting on me that didn't talk to me in school (I was recently divorced then). Just confirmed why I didn't really want to go but was curious. Other than the reunion, I haven't looked back since I left. I walked out of school, quit drugs, went to college and got into a good career. It was an interesting experience. I read later that our high school had the highest drug use in the country - I was lucky to escape alive.