What Were You Doing 30 Years Ago Today?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 11 days away from being born

Needless to say, I wasn't around for any Beatles-mania.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 8 years old, and it was a Monday (I had to go look that up). I didn't really know about them back then, because my mother hated what she referred to as those D*** Hippies. Not much Beatles came into our house until I had enough money to buy my own records. I don't remember how i heard about them... I know by the time I graduated high school a decade later, I had one of the greatest hits collections. I loved John.. well, I loved all of them... but whenever I hear Imagine I tear up. Same for Hey Jude. My first concert was Julian Lennon's (son with Cynthia) Secret Value of Daydreaming tour.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DarkMavis;2978675 said:
And say what you will, but the love he and Yoko had for each other is one of those loves most people only dream of.. QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was a freshman in high school and in the hospital recovering from an emergency appendectomy. I remember seeing it on the news.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't even thought of yet (and wouldn't be for another 7 years
) but I have read about John Lennon's murder. Very tragic.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was 7, so I was about halfway through the 2nd grade in Texas. My parents were into country music, so it didn't even register with me. I became a Beatles fan much later in life.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 18 and living with my brother and his wife. We were watching a taped movie and the phone rang: It was my cousin Raymond. He had just heard that John Lennon had been shot. We sat there utterly stunned.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching Monday Night Football. I'll never forget it. It was the NY Jets and the NE Patriots. Howard Cosell broke the news. I just stared at the screen, and my heart broke.

I was prime fan age when the Beatles became popular. I watched their first appearance on TV with my friend Sharon and was hooked. Most of my high school years were defined by the Beatles and Beatlemania. I went to their concert in Minneapolis in 1965. I won a local TV magazine contest and Sharon and I got to go to their press conference. We felt like we were in heaven.

Years later, after I moved to New York, I was walking up Broadway, in the 70's and John and Yoko just strolled by me. I didn't have the nerve to say anything, but I was thunderstruck at how at ease he was. No one was paying any attention to him, which is why he loved New York. He loved the freedom here.

And, I agree, he found his soulmate in Yoko. The more I learn about him, the more I realize how she brought out the best in him, and theirs was a true partnership.

Almost a week after his murder, Yoko had requested 10 minutes of silence. She had requested people gather in Central Park and at a certain time (I believe it was 1:00), start the 10 minutes of silence. I had met a friend, and we were just entering Central Park at 1 PM, with a huge crowd of people, when this wave of silence engulfed us. We could feel the silence taking hold. We found a place to sit, and the silence, among thousands of people, was overwhelming. Exactly 10 minutes later, someone started playing an amplified tape of Imagine, and the sun broke through the clouds. It was amazing. I can't hear that song - ever - without tears streaming down my cheeks.

Gone too soon. I constantly imagine the wonders we would have seen from John Lennon had he lived.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 8 and I don't think I knew who the Beatles were at the time. But I grew to love them during high school, and I think I made my dad's year when I was a senior and asked for the White album - on vinyl - for Christmas.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was in my room reading, and my brother & dad were watching Monday Night Football, if memory serves. My brother came into my room with a shocked look on his face and said "John Lennon was just shot and killed!" I remember feeling most sad for his five-year-old son, who lost his dad.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Nanner, I loved your post Brought tears to my eyes.
Awww....yours too, Libby. I loved that you used to "play Beatles" with your friend when you were little. It reminded me of how my friend Sharon and I were consumed with the Beatles.

And I also hope Mark David Chapman rots in jail.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember I was just married that year and still living in our apartment. I came around the corner, turned on the TV in our tiny apartment and I saw the news. Tears just started falling. It was tragic. I have loved the Beatles since I was about 5 yrs old. John was my favorite.

It's nice that we are finally able to get their music on iTunes.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 21 and living in my first apartment. I saw it on the news and couldn't understand why. I still don't.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I read this late but 30 years ago from today I was two days shy of being 2 months old and was actually a very sick baby at the time I had dropped down to 5 lbs and was from my mother not washing my bottles and a bad reaction to my formula and was just not doing well they weren't sure if I would make it or not. But I did so God must have some special plans for me. As for John Lennon I don't know what would have happened if he had lived but it was an awful loss to the music world and really everyone .