What Were You Doing 30 Years Ago Today?

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I know, many of you weren't even born yet. A few of you may remember the day vividly, like me. I remember where I was, even what I was wearing the night John Lennon was murdered.
What was taken from the world in a matter of seconds. Do you feel he contributed anything to our society? Do you think he could have really made a difference? It's sad because we'll never know. He'd be 70 years old this year. I feel like he was really beginning to show us what was in his heart.
I miss John

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though I wasn't even thought of 30 years ago. I do know John Lennon was killed. My father loved the Beatles. He has all their albums and movies. I do like the song "Imagine".

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was 5 so I have no clue what I was doing. I was probably in school and hating every minute of it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I do remember John Lennon being killed, but couldn't tell you what I was doing on the specific day. I was in graduate school and working, so not much time for anything except studying. I don't even know if I heard about it on the day it happened or some time later.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard about it the following morning. I had just hopped into my car to go to work, turned the radio on and heard the news. I recall sitting in the car somewhat stunned.

I called my brother to tell him if he hadn't heard yet. He had a large portrait (probably 24 x 36) of John hanging in his living room and was a total fan. The portrait was one where it felt like his eyes were following you around the room. He still has that portrait.

Of all the Beatles, he was my favorite and I do like all of the non-Yoko songs post Beatles (sorry Yoko).

JOHN LENNON
"Imagine"

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/john-l...ne-lyrics.html

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Of all the Beatles, he was my favorite and I do like all of the non-Yoko songs post Beatles (sorry Yoko).
That's hitting the proverbial nail on the head. I can't imagine what Lennon would be like today, because it would completely sully everything he did as a Beatle. Post-Beatles, he was kind of crazy with Yoko and his music was really awful. They were only going to be spending more and more time together, so it stands to reason she would have a tighter and tigher grasp over his music if he were still alive.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was living in Connecticut, newly married, and heard about it on tv the next morning. It was devastating. I was watching a special about him the other night on BBC America - even DH who was never a Beatles fan recognizes his genius.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know where I was - Calgary, Edmonton or somewhere between, was around shipping time from Northlands to Stampede Park so most likely was on the road for that time. I DO, however know where I was and what I was doing on 1 October of that year - was in Edmonton, had a couple of horses in the paddock and joined the guys in the drivers room to watch Niatross break the world pacing speed record.

I really wasn't much of a Beatles fan and even less a Lennon fan, so it registered but barely.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I was in grad school, and heard about his murder on the radio on my way to school the next morning. DH and I were just speechless.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 3 and will guess with grandma

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I was twelve and in middle school. I heard about it in school the next morning. One of our music teachers was a huge Beatles fan and had to take the day off because he was so upset.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must tell you that John Lennon was my favorite Beatle. I had such a major crush on him and was devastated when he was murdered, I still cry when they show him on TV especially the last couple of days.

I worked nights at the time, 2nd shift so I got home around 11:30 or so. I believe I was watching a late night show and there was a bulletin that broke in. First it said they think John Lennon was shot, at that time they weren't sure. Later tho they said it was John and I was sitting there with my mouth open and crying like a baby.

I do believe John would have wrote more songs that meant so much. His Imagine will live forever. He put a lot of meaning in most of his songs. I miss him a lot.

Each time that bas**** Chapman goes up for parole, Yoko Ono is right there to stop it. They should have thrown Chapman to the fans, there would be nothing left of him to put in prison.

Lennon was loved by most and most certainly by me.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was a Sr. in High School. I enjoy (and enjoyed) listening to the Beatles, but wouldn't consider myself a "fan." I liked them all except Paul, who I could never stand (and I've never liked the Wings). John always struck me as - not exactly humble, but I didn't follow them or him too closely. If someone asked me when John was murdered, I could have come up with early 80s, but that's about it.

George was always my favorite, and I liked the Traveling Wilburys.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was a little bit before my time but I have seen many programs about his murder i live the Beatles i don't have a favourite though they were all equally as good imo

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't born yet but do really appreciate his music, I love "Imagine", such a sad tragedy.R.I.P John
xx

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH & I were sitting at the kitchen table playing Uno. The tv was on in the other room and we were half-heartedly listening to it. I remember it as being right around 9:30 pm (CST). There was a news bulletin stating that John had been shot. We stared at each other for a moment, I asked him, "What did they say?", we both dropped our cards and went to sit in front of the tv. Neither of us have ever played that stupid card game again.
It was unbelievable. John was such a sweet, peaceful soul; how could anyone gun him down? He had a new album (Double Fantasy) and a new hit single (Woman---I think it's one of the most loving tributes a man has ever written for/about his wife). After all this time, it's still hard for me to believe.

When I was about 10, the neighbor girl and I would "play" Beatles; we would take turns being married to the Beatle of our choice. We always picked John and Paul.

I hope Mark David Chapman rots in prison, although I really liked LaRussa's idea of throwing him to the fans. Although, as DH pointed out today, the man he murdered would have been the first one to say we should forgive him.

We miss you, John.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hanging out in my mom, waiting to be born in a few weeks when that happened. Terrible, absolutely thoughtless. I'm a pretty big Beatles fan, even though I was born about 30 years too late to experience it all first hand.. My fave was George
, but John also had some amazing songs and words. And say what you will, but the love he and Yoko had for each other is one of those loves most people only dream of.. (sorry, getting mushy here..
)

Originally Posted by libby74

I hope Mark David Chapman rots in prison, although I really liked LaRussa's idea of throwing him to the fans. Although, as DH pointed out today, the man he murdered would have been the first one to say we should forgive him.
I do believe you're right about that.