What we are doing special for the holidays

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I decided yesterday to begin a new tradition. We were at our favorite framing shop, (we collect signed ltd. edition J.S.Perry prints...wonderful cat artist!), and saw a display of photo ornaments. Prettier than any I've seen before, we realized we'd love to honor, and remember our cherished cats who've passed on.

So with peweter and crysals, in the shapes of stars, trees with drop crystal pendants etc. we will be printing up small photos of Loki, Frank J. Noseripper, Bookie and Mervat and hanging them on our tree.

What new tradition (cat related or not) are you planning for your holiday celebrations?

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we've got several little traditions already going. We're actually planning on stopping one of them this year. Our traditions are: at least one new ornament per person every year, kids open a gift on Christmas Eve which is always a new pair of pajamas, running around like fools trying to visit everyone(large family), and a Christmas Eve party at my mothers house that was a must attend. We are actually going to skip the party this year. My stepfather is planning on having it and as it was always mostly his family(whom I'm not fond of) combined with Mom being gone we're going to gracefully bow out of going. We're also going to cut down on all the running. We're still going to try and see everyone but it's slightly ridiculous to be in 5 different homes in 2 days with 5 children.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 14 grandchildren. Instead of trying to meet their Christmas list demands this year, we are giving one gift per household- a subscription to HighLights for Children-good for any ages.

Plus we are not going to put up outside decorations this year- with all the remodeling going on, we are concentrating on that instead.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We really dont have any. Every year we go over to my parents on christmas for dinner and to open presents. Since they're catholic and we are wiccan we do it christmas eve. Last year rich got me a beautiful cat statue, I would LOVE for that to be a tradtion. this one is soooo cool! You light a candle and it makes the eyes glow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Princess Purr
We really dont have any. Every year we go over to my parents on christmas for dinner and to open presents. Since they're catholic and we are wiccan we do it christmas eve. Last year rich got me a beautiful cat statue, I would LOVE for that to be a tradtion. this one is soooo cool! You light a candle and it makes the eyes glow
It looks like a windstone sculpture - the artist is M Pena? I used to work in a cat collectibles show, and we sold Bat Cat Gargoygles, and other cat statues by this artist. Also does beautiful dragons

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW Pat that is a lovely custom to start. We have a remembrance tree outside, where we hang things that remind us of cats that are gone- their favorite toy, or a photograph that was sealed in vinyl.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy a Hallmark ornament, for Bill and me. Since last Christmas was our first, in this house and with the pets, I bought ornaments, that I put their pix in. Have to buy one for Buddy, this year.

Avon has some cute "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments and I ordered two, for the twins. I'll need to get stockings for them and for Buddy, too.

We'll invite my parents, and the kids over, Christmas Day, have something to eat and open most of the presents. Bill and I open one each, on Christmas Eve.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm Jewish, but I still like to celebrate Christmas when I can. I don't think I will be able to do so this year, though. I have to work Graveyard Shift both Christmas Eve and Christmas Night. I do think that I might actually get my cats a gift this year, though. I might try to get them a self scooping litter box. Hey, maybe that's more of a gift for me, huh?

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Pat & Alix
It looks like a windstone sculpture - the artist is M Pena? I used to work in a cat collectibles show, and we sold Bat Cat Gargoygles, and other cat statues by this artist. Also does beautiful dragons
yep! do you know if they have a website? i don't think the store he got this one at is open anymore. And I really want him to get me another one this year. Maybe something like a mom cat with kitten

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by HopeHacker
I'm Jewish, but I still like to celebrate Christmas when I can. I don't think I will be able to do so this year, though. I have to work Graveyard Shift both Christmas Eve and Christmas Night. I do think that I might actually get my cats a gift this year, though. I might try to get them a self scooping litter box. Hey, maybe that's more of a gift for me, huh?
Oh but that is why I said Holidays...I know there are a range of different faiths on this list
I've even seen catnip toys that include a catnip dreidl and catnip pillows printed with menorahs

I hope that everyone who celebrates a holiday around this time of year, will share in this thread. One thing I don't miss about nursing and my 7 pm to 7 am shifts was how it messed up the holidays...sorry to hear about your having to work both eve and Christmas night.

ps about those self scooping litter boxes...I see many, many mixed reviews for them on the product review site I am an advisor .on.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Princess Purr
yep! do you know if they have a website? i don't think the store he got this one at is open anymore. And I really want him to get me another one this year. Maybe something like a mom cat with kitten
Let me check and I'll get back to you (I love research....tee hee!)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not finding a site for the artist or for Windstone Editions specificly, which reproduces the originals and markets them.

However, though I did not research this particular store's policies, this is one of many onlines stores I found, and this store has free shipping - here is their page of sculptures etc by M Pena. To see the candle-holding sculptures including lots of cats, by this artist (including one that looks to be the one you have).
Windstone retailer just click on View Candle Lamps.

hth,

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that everyone who celebrates a holiday around this time of year, will share in this thread. One thing I don't miss about nursing and my 7 pm to 7 am shifts was how it messed up the holidays...sorry to hear about your having to work both eve and Christmas night.

ps about those self scooping litter boxes...I see many, many mixed reviews for them on the product review site I am an advisor .on.
The bad thing about the All Night shift, is that it messes up a person's life on ALL levels. I don't feel like I HAVE A LIFE with this shift, and I've worked it since 1997.

I don't know that much about the self scooping boxes. They just sounded really cool. I'd love to put up a cat condo for my boys, but I don't have the room.

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last year was the first year my husband and I decided to stay home - we would usually spend the entire holiday running. It was really nice.

The only real tradition my husband and I have is to buy a HUGE stocking full of squeaky toys for the dogs, then let them go to town. They usually don't get them, because they rip them to shreds very quickly and make a terrible mess. Warren does everything he can to sneak them into a secret pile somewhere in another room, while Cookie goes nuts trying to pull the squeakers out of them all. She's obsessed until every single squeaker has been chewed out.

I think that's my favorite part of Christmas, no matter which day we do it.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by HopeHacker
The bad thing about the All Night shift, is that it messes up a person's life on ALL levels. I don't feel like I HAVE A LIFE with this shift, and I've worked it since 1997.

I don't know that much about the self scooping boxes. They just sounded really cool. I'd love to put up a cat condo for my boys, but I don't have the room.
I liked 11 -7 better than 7 to 7, I could get by on a bit less sleep then <G>, but it had its benefits...far more autonomy, cool co-workers.

But back to fun stuff....have you seen the newer cat pup tents? There are also soft-sided cat cubes that can be shaped into different shapes and crawled into by the kitty...some good, not too space gobbling stuff out there. Hmm...lets see...also I've seen small carpeted cat teepees...and if you are handy with a good staple gun...I've seen some lovely, smaller on the floor designs that can be enjoyed by your kitty. One features a length of carpeted particle board or what have you, and then a sisal rope covered tube that is resting horizontally atop the carpeted base. My cats love to scratch and ride the sisal tube, and then collapse for a nap on the carpeted portion. It's less than 2 feet wide and about 2+ feet long, so fits behind a couch, along the wall..where ever

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the link! There are soooooooo many things I want on that site! I really really love the wizard cat and the circle of cat candle holder
time ot start hinting to rich!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PrincessPurr I really like your cat statue , that is so nead .

Most of you know that I am German and the germans do christmas on the 24 of dec in the evening . Well guess what I continue this tratition . I don't know how we do it this year though since Mike has the aftrenoon shift from 2:00pm til 10:00 pm . Maybe he can have some days off , hopefully or we may have to change our tratition a little

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our family has fallen apart since mom passed in 2000 (dad passed in 1986). My 4 siblings and I live in 5 different states and it's hard to get together anymore. We've lost family holiday traditions, but my husband and I (with no human kids of our own) have linked up with other "orphaned" or misplaced friends for the holidays.

Thanksgiving for the last few years has been deep-fried turkey at a friends house. He has a number of friends over and we create our own pot-luck dinner, drink too much and watch a lot of football. Ditto for Christmas, but usually we roast the turkey, add a ham and exchange comical presents.

This year will be different. My nephew is getting married the day after Thanksgiving and 3 of my siblings will be converging at my sister's house in Chicago area. Of course my sister doesn't arrive until late that day (she lives in Ohio most of the year), so the rest of us are going to invade her house and cook a meal together and try to rebuild a family tradition.

For Christmas, we will probably head out to New Mexico to visit my brother, then onto Denver to visit our friends (and see Muddy and Koko's brothers again).

Holidays haven't been joyous for me the last few years. It looks like we are slowly trying to rebuild some type of tradition - every year has been new to us!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by PurrfectCatlove

Most of you know that I am German and the germans do christmas on the 24 of dec in the evening . Well guess what I continue this tratition . I don't know how we do it this year though since Mike has the aftrenoon shift from 2:00pm til 10:00 pm . Maybe he can have some days off , hopefully or we may have to change our tratition a little
I hope he can get the evening off, if not, can you change any of your evening celebrations to the am? If it's a special dinner and/or special dishes, do it as a late brunch, and if you usually attend church, is there perhaps a midnight service you can attend?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
My 4 siblings and I live in 5 different states and it's hard to get together anymore. We've lost family holiday traditions, but my husband and I (with no human kids of our own) have linked up with other "orphaned" or misplaced friends for the holidays.
<snip>
Holidays haven't been joyous for me the last few years. It looks like we are slowly trying to rebuild some type of tradition - every year has been new to us!
When I married Frej and moved out to WA, it meant leaving behind all my family and long time friends. His family (most) is back in NJ, and mine is throughout NY state. So...because I love traditions and family, we have worked to incorporate his families special recipes and traditions and mine, and new ones that we choose like the cat photo "memorial ornaments".

I hope your holidays will become joyous again.