What was your first paying job and how old were you?

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hungry Pelican dishboy @ $4.25/hour. I was 15 and had no work permit.
It was a fun job.
-Ryan

finnmccool'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was about 4 or 5, (around '80). My dad brought home his first computer, and back then you had to totally program the darn thing yourself. So, he hired me at 5¢ an entry to put in all the numbers for accounting info for work. I bargained him up to 10¢ per entry, and he had one heck of a time getting me off the computer since! (I think I made about $20 that night.)

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first real job was when I was a senior in HS, and I did the business Co-op program. I worked for a fairly large company as a training coordinator's assistant, and during the summer after I graduated, I was in the Admin. Assistant's Center. I was also hired back as a temp for a month or so to do technical editing of training booklets. The Co-op program paid me $5.25/hr and I think the temp agency for the other one paid me about $7.00/hr
This is how I became interested in the office/clerical type of jobs. I enjoyed the fact that I was given things to do for the day, and then left alone. If I had a question, I just asked my boss.

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job was a cashier at WalMart and got paid $4.50 per hour. I thought I was getting paid the big bucks back then!! The sad part of it all is that I'm still working for WalMart...jeez, it's been a long 9 years!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shell, are you having labor problems, there? I read about WalMart getting nailed for having people working off the clock and refusing to hire a woman, because she was pregnant. It seems, that since Sam Walton died, its not such a nice place, anymore.

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At our store we haven't had any problems. Actually I just heard about this just the other day...and it wasn't at work. My Mom told me she saw it on the News (I don't watch the News...too many depressing things on there). No one at work has said a word about it...so I'm still kind of in the dark about this situation. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me one bit that WalMart has done this. That company is a billion dollar company and they are so penny pinching tight it is sickening! For instance, you have to be with the company for 7 years before you get a $25 dollar christmas bonus! I agree that ever since Sam died, the company has become very greedy and the service has gone down the drain. For me, it's a job..a paycheck and a way to pay the bills. The only good thing for me is that I work in a "Hometown" store which is 1/4 size of a SuperCenter and it isn't nearly as crazy here.

I'm gonna search the net for some info on this new labor problem w/ Wally World...it's probably the only way I'll find out anything. I'm sure Management wouldn't be telling us about this...they are always trying to hide something. Just my opinion, though...
-Shell