What was in when you were in high school?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What was popular when you were in high school? I haven't really thought this through, but I'll get back with my own answers later.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GIANT baggy pants and flannel t-shirts... the grunge look.

Then we had the opposite side of the spectrum, to try and dress as close to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera as possible. Bleh.

Grunge over Britney/X-tina any day.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Bell bottoms and love beads, which of course we weren't allowed to wear to school because of the dress code.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker

GIANT baggy pants and flannel t-shirts... the grunge look.

Then we had the opposite side of the spectrum, to try and dress as close to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera as possible. Bleh.

Grunge over Britney/X-tina any day.
You must be my age- I was going to say the same thing! I wore a flannel and Converse All-Stars most days. Usually with various shades of purple hair.

Big music of the day, some of which I loved and some of which I loathed: Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, NIN, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Matchbox 20, Dave Matthews Band, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Britney, Will Smith, etc etc.

Gosh if I had my yearbook here instead of in my old room at my mom's house I could look at the stuff people wrote and come up with a bunch more stuff that was 'in'..

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking about this the other day as I noticed how 80s some of the fashions are these days. Not bright neons and ridiculous shoulder pads, thank goodness! But things like leggings and baggier tops and those booties with wrinkled leather or suede. I was in high school in the 80s and we saw some "interesting" trends. I was actually glad we had to wear a uniform.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it strange that I honestly do not know? I've never bothered to keep up with trends, slang, or been like those around me. If someone mentioned a tv show or popular music I'd be lost and still am.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big hair and glam metal was in when I was in high school. MTV was big, and they actually played videos all of the time. Jean jackets with patches of your favorite metal bands (I didn't have one). Black light posters.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elephant ear jeans, denim jackets and of course....they had to have some sort of embroidery. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest ruled the airwaves!!

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not very observant when it comes to noticing trends, but I do remember Oakley sunglasses being big. Actually, it was the colorful Oakley "tint strips" that the kids had on their windshields that were really obnoxious.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Big hair and glam metal was in when I was in high school. MTV was big, and they actually played videos all of the time. Jean jackets with patches of your favorite metal bands (I didn't have one). Black light posters.
I miss the 80's!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see......Mary Quant, "go-go" boots, straight hair with bangs, Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Byrds, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes (I could go on with the music
).

Wow. Nostalgia.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluorescent tops were in partly because of the video "Wake me up before you go go" by Wham. Also, Adidas sneakers, Lee twills, sheepskin coats, Kangol hats. Often kids would match their Lee twills to the colored shoelaces on their Adidas. Three-quarter-inch thick laces on the Adidas were practically a must. They were called "fat laces". That was one look: Fat laces with Lee twills.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Elephant ear jeans, denim jackets and of course....they had to have some sort of embroidery. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest ruled the airwaves!!
Sex and drugs and rock 'n roll!
Peace, man!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Neon colors, leggings, knee length sweaters with a belt to match your suede boots, MTV, Madonna, glam metal, The Cure, jelly bracelets, Forenza sweaters, Guess jeans, Swatches (the more you had on your arm, the cooler you were...
), powder jackets, teased hair/Aqua Net...

Why yes, I am a child of the 80's.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born in the 1960's, and grew up in the 70's...so here is a list from the 70's.

Roller Skating with skates that had 4 wheels
Charlies Angels
Rotary phones
Bazooka! gum
Pop Rocks and Coca Cola
Duke's of Hazzard
"Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV.
Leg warmers
Schoolhouse Rock
"Jaws"
No remote controls
Chevy Chase
Life Cereal commercials (Mikey)
Weird Al Yankovic songs
Ms. Pacman
The Exorcist
The Omen
The Blue Lagoon
The Brady Bunch
Bionic Man
Bionic Woman
Wonder Woman
Incredible Hulk
Quincy
Who Shot J.R.
8 Track tapes
Donnie & Marie
Sonny and Cher
Mork
Stairway to Heaven
Dancing Queen
Grease
Shawn Cassidy
Love Boat
Happy Days
Movies were only G, PG and R
Plaid

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Let's see......Mary Quant, "go-go" boots, straight hair with bangs, Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Byrds, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes (I could go on with the music
).

Wow. Nostalgia.
Ahh...now there's something in this thread that I recognize